IGNORED

Anyone using HQPD app?

tboooe

26 minutes ago, Miska said:

So far for example none of the online data I've seen has put all Pink Floyd under one genre...

And then there are sub-genres, closely related genres, cases where a track/album fall into multiple genres, etc..  And, unfortunately, there is no authoritative source to appeal to when deciding on genre.

mQa is dead!

Thanks Alex, the genre thing just doesn't work for me.  Case in point, I tried Roon and ran away screaming at the difficulty of using it with my large music collection.

A few more examples.  I can see a track being up to 8 levels down.

genre

---artist

-------studio albums

-------live albums

------------solo

------------group

------------big band

or

genre

----group

--------member 1 solo albums

--------member 2 solo albums

--------studio albums

--------live concerts

------------1960s

---------------------------1965-02-14 New York

----------------------------------1st set

----------------------------------------track 1

----------------------------------------track 2

----------------------------------------etc

----------------------------------2nd set

----------------------------------------track 1

----------------------------------------track 2

---------------------------1965-07-04 Boston

---------------------------etc (5-20 concerts per year)

-----------1970s

etc

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 12:12 PM, cat6man said:

by the way, in case anyone missed it, the app now let's you browse your music by directory/subdirectory.

outstanding (and really fast support from Alex)

My music directory folders appear as follows on both my NAS and in HQPlayer:

M:

>CD

>DSD

>Hi Res 

Each of the above has these sub-categories:

>Blues-Jazz

>Classical

>Other

>Pop-Rock

And each of the above is subdivided as:

>Artist (alphabetically)

>Album (alphabetically)

So, a typical entry might appear as M:\CD\Pop-Rock\Bob Dylan\Blonde on Blonde

Under 'Root of a library tree' in Settings of HQPDcontrol, I have 'entered "M:" However, in Dirs view of HQPDcontrol, at no level are the folders displayed in alphabetical order. Rather they appear as:

>Hi Res

>CD

>DSD

Then

>Blues-Jazz

>Pop-Rock

>Classical

>Other

Most importantly,  at neither the Artists level nor the Albums level are the folders displayed in alphabetical order. Rather they are typically displayed as:

CD\Pop-Rock

>Steve Earle

>Dana Fuchs

>Eagles

>Jerry Garcia

>Derek & the Dominos, etc.

This makes the Dirs view of little value below the four general genres because of the large number of folders at those levels. Is there any way for Dirs view to display the folders in alphabetical order the way they are displayed on both my NAS and in HQPlayer?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, Ales Prochazka said:

Hi Allan,

Currently (in spare time) I convert HQPDcontrol to another programming language (Java to Kotlin, if anyone is interested 😉 ).

I can not solve or verify this problem at this time.

Please wait while the new version is available. Then we'll focus on it.

Thank you for the prompt reply, Ales. There is no rush on this. As you know, I have been using HQPDcontrol for some time and I have been very satisfied with it without the Dirs view. Dirs view in alphabetical order would simply be a plus.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

21 hours ago, Allan F said:

My music directory folders appear as follows on both my NAS and in HQPlayer:

M:

>CD

>DSD

>Hi Res 

Each of the above has these sub-categories:

>Blues-Jazz

>Classical

>Other

>Pop-Rock

And each of the above is subdivided as:

>Artist (alphabetically)

>Album (alphabetically)

So, a typical entry might appear as M:\CD\Pop-Rock\Bob Dylan\Blonde on Blonde

Under 'Root of a library tree' in Settings of HQPDcontrol, I have 'entered "M:" However, in Dirs view of HQPDcontrol, at no level are the folders displayed in alphabetical order. Rather they appear as:

>Hi Res

>CD

>DSD

Then

>Blues-Jazz

>Pop-Rock

>Classical

>Other

Most importantly,  at neither the Artists level nor the Albums level are the folders displayed in alphabetical order. Rather they are typically displayed as:

CD\Pop-Rock

>Steve Earle

>Dana Fuchs

>Eagles

>Jerry Garcia

>Derek & the Dominos, etc.

This makes the Dirs view of little value below the four general genres because of the large number of folders at those levels. Is there any way for Dirs view to display the folders in alphabetical order the way they are displayed on both my NAS and in HQPlayer?

@allan,

i don't see this in my setup.  in Dirs view, everything is alphabetical

i see

Broadway

Classical

Country

Folk

Under Broadway, I see

Fiddler

Hair

Lion King

Wicked

I agree that if it were not alphabetical, it would be pretty useless but this works perfectly (and alphabetically) for me.

Something else must be going on in your set up.

It should work

Ales & Jussi,

I do seem to have an issue that I do not understand.

I updated my music, then re-scanned and got a new library.xml and verified that the new music was there as seen in the library function in HQPlayer desktop.  However, when I synch your app, I don't see the new music that library.xml says should be there.

This happened (and confused me) once before.  Then, some combination of stopping/restarting HQPlayer desktop and/or hqplayer embedded solved the problem. 

Can you please elaborate on the sequence for updating library.xml so that the changes will be ready to be sync'd with the HQPD control?

2 hours ago, cat6man said:

@allan,

i don't see this in my setup.  in Dirs view, everything is alphabetical...

I agree that if it were not alphabetical, it would be pretty useless but this works perfectly (and alphabetically) for me.

Something else must be going on in your set up.

It should work

It's just a guess, but I am wondering if the difference is because my music library is stored on a NAS that is set up as a mapped drive, M: How is your music library set up?

I used to use an NAS but ran into issues with characters that hqp didn't like, so I moved everything to a usb drive on my NUC that runs hqp.............worth a try but I didn't have any problems with directory/subdirectory alphabetical ordering when I was on the NAS......just the issue with special characters in song titles, etc.

not sure what else could make our results differ

5 minutes ago, cat6man said:

I used to use an NAS but ran into issues with characters that hqp didn't like, so I moved everything to a usb drive on my NUC that runs hqp.............worth a try but I didn't have any problems with directory/subdirectory alphabetical ordering when I was on the NAS......just the issue with special characters in song titles, etc.

not sure what else could make our results differ

Yes, but did HQPDcontrol support Dir view when you had the NAS? Earlier versions did not. I have no problem with alphabetical display of directories and sub-directories in HQPlayer.

6 minutes ago, cat6man said:

yes, i didn't use the app until it had directories

In which case, it would appear to be the mapped NAS drive which is the source of the problem. For me, Dirs view is a "nice to have" but hardly a necessity. In any case, Ales will look into it when he has the time. IMO, he has done a great job with this app, which gives me everything I need as a user friendly remote interface for HQPlayer.

On 2/18/2019 at 3:44 PM, cat6man said:

update:

it appears that i have to stop and restart hqplayerd in order for HQPDcontrol to sync with the new library.xml file

can anyone confirm that this is proper operation and that hqplayerd 'locks up' the library.xml file and therefore must be stopped in order to grab the updated library.xml file for re-sync with hqpdControl app?

6 hours ago, cat6man said:

can anyone confirm that this is proper operation and that hqplayerd 'locks up' the library.xml file and therefore must be stopped in order to grab the updated library.xml file for re-sync with hqpdControl app?

Can you confirm it gets updated properly when browsing through the web interface? I assume you are re-scanning the content using the web interface. It should then get reflected through the web interface too. This same library content should end up in HQPDcontrol too when you select resync from HQPDcontrol menu.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

@Ales Prochazka I am getting a connection refused error, similar to the one described by lucretius. I am running HQP desktop 3.25.3 and the latest HQPDcontrol. I have enabled "Allow control form network" on Desktop side and also removed&rescanned my entire library. 
None of these fixed the issue and I can't get past this error. Adding screenshot showing the error.

Can you please advise how to correct this?

Many thanks!

Screenshot_2019-02-24-20-36-09.thumb.png.cad8c5f0bb8ba331b56e40be57b463ef.png