IGNORED

Best ripper/ server software combo for home DVD/Blue-ray?

davide256

About 2 years ago I went through the task of ripping all my DVD's with the intent of boxing up the discs and only playing from a server. It turned out to

be quite a pain both from the tagging and media interface perspective... cumbersome and not as easy as audio when using JRiver. I ultimately ditched the ripped content

as making things harder, not easier than physical playback. I'm wondering if things have improved, if so what folks think would be the best ripper option

for DVD/Blue Ray and the best display/controller software option  for easy scan of your library to select/control movie playback?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I must admit I have had similar issues to you .  I ripped my DVDs and Blu Ray using AnyDVD HD via MyMovies which has generated various pieces of metadata and used the old media centre in Windows to display and then playback the movies... The good thing was that I also used an Acronova blu ray stacker that made the ripping process fairly easy (100 discs at a time). 

Playback never really worked very well in Media Centre.  I have tried to use a Dune HD media player using the metadata with limited success.  Recently I have started using PowerDVD 17 - which seems to work reasonably well but does not pick up the metadata (and seems to get some of it wrong) so I need to play with it a bit more until I can get it working properly.   I look forward to hearing from anyone that has a slick setup that makes this whole process easy.

Stereo Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Surround Source: Windows PC

Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s, Anthem D2v

Speakers: ATC SCM50A (L/R/C), C4 (Sub), SCM20-2A (LR,RR)

My videos take second fiddle to my music collection.  So, I have many ripped BDs, but I have not yet tagged them.  

JRiver is the core of my Media PC, so that is what I want to use for video, as well. JRiver plus the Dirac Live VST plugin mean I need no Prepro/AVR in my system.  I want that same high quality audio with my BD videos, including many classical concerts, operas and ballets.  And, JRiver delivers excellent video quality using madVR.  Incidentally, JRiver also handles TV for me with Mch audio via my cablecard network tuner.

I have settled on AnyDVD HD to unlock the BDs.  I am happy with it.  MakeMKV disappointed me.  With movies, it became increasingly difficult and futsy to locate the playlist for the main feature.  

My my biggest disappointment with JRiver is that it cannot access chapters via the menu on the BD.  That is one reason I have avoided tagging, in the hope that JRiver would eventually offer this.  Their Particles idea does not appeal to me.  So, if I could find some other video player with BD chapter access, I might want to consider it, provided I could route the audio to JRiver/Dirac via JR's WDM driver.

2 hours ago, Northern_Canuck said:

Try ripping using AnyDVD HD and these media player options:

Plex Media Player

https://www.plex.tv/blog/introducing-the-plex-media-player/

XBMC/KODI media player

https://kodi.tv/about

Power DVD media player

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/features_en_CA.html?affid=2581_1274_738_36273_0_ENU_powerdvd-ultra

Just my $0.02

Thanks.  I started investigating off and on.  But, I will look more closely at these.

Still searching. My experience so far with ripping DVD 2 channel audio is disappointing, CD's ripped with DBPoweramp sound better. I'll go ahead with MKV and rip my music video DVD's for surround playback via Oppo 103. But still searching for a better result for 2 channel sound to stream to main system. AnyDVD is a decryptor to allow you to rip the disc, can already do that with WinX DVD ripper. What I want to do is rip DVD's 2 channel to FLAC, DVD Audio Extractor will do that but I wasn't happy with the sound quality.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system