IGNORED

Boring topic, Speakers under $300 as gift

Benji

Thinking of Elac b5 or b6's or KEF Q100's.  Open to any bookshelf.  Recipient will think that subwoofers are the bane of all existence so it should have decent bass as one will not be used. 

Using a low budget receiver from Yamaha or Onkyo. 

Actives don't count?

Some very good ones under $300.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

11 hours ago, RichB said:

Besides the Elacs, AudioEngine makes passive (i.e. not active) versions of some of thier speakers which are worth looking at for use with a inexpensive receiver.

Judging from the measurements available online I don't think that AudioEngines are at the same level as Kefs, PSBs or Elacs by a long way.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

At that price range you aren't going to get good performance no matter what you pick, so I would go with looks. Isn't there something with a ribbon tweeter at that price? IMO ribbons have the most visual appeal, makes the speaker look high-end. The uni-drivers in the KEF Q100 also might look cool. What about the Edifiers or whatever they're called...the ones with the side-ribbons?

Since it's a gift, I recommend going with something more unique. You want the receiver to feel special by having something different or perceived better than the norm.

On 12/9/2017 at 5:08 AM, semente said:

Judging from the measurements available online I don't think that AudioEngines are at the same level as Kefs, PSBs or Elacs by a long way.

D'oh! I was thinking of the bigger AudioEngine passives, but I see those are more expensive than what I thought they were.

I like the ELACs I have heard, but I think they would gel better with a nice used old inexpensive integrated amp (for a budget set-up) than a inexpensive receiver. :-)

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi