IGNORED

Boring topic, Speakers under $300 as gift

Actives don't count?

Some very good ones under $300.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

11 hours ago, RichB said:

Besides the Elacs, AudioEngine makes passive (i.e. not active) versions of some of thier speakers which are worth looking at for use with a inexpensive receiver.

Judging from the measurements available online I don't think that AudioEngines are at the same level as Kefs, PSBs or Elacs by a long way.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

At that price range you aren't going to get good performance no matter what you pick, so I would go with looks. Isn't there something with a ribbon tweeter at that price? IMO ribbons have the most visual appeal, makes the speaker look high-end. The uni-drivers in the KEF Q100 also might look cool. What about the Edifiers or whatever they're called...the ones with the side-ribbons?

Since it's a gift, I recommend going with something more unique. You want the receiver to feel special by having something different or perceived better than the norm.

On 12/9/2017 at 5:08 AM, semente said:

Judging from the measurements available online I don't think that AudioEngines are at the same level as Kefs, PSBs or Elacs by a long way.

D'oh! I was thinking of the bigger AudioEngine passives, but I see those are more expensive than what I thought they were.

I like the ELACs I have heard, but I think they would gel better with a nice used old inexpensive integrated amp (for a budget set-up) than a inexpensive receiver. :-)

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi