Sign in to follow this  
Rt66indierock

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Or, it's like saying "MQA is many things", and "you don't truly understand MQA" , or it's all hidden behind a very clever NDA so good luck in getting any firm understanding.

With all due respect, do you really think BS, Stereophile, TAS, et al. have provided any real response or rebuttal to the findings of @Archimago, or @mansr, or @FrederickV among others? (They haven't).

Or are you attempting to do that in their conspicuous absence?

I’m new to the forum and I don’t know those people at all, only know mansr by virtue of his abusive behavior. Maybe he forgets to take his Thorazine when they let him out of the nuthouse for the weekend. I said MQA is “supposed to do X”, something and that you can only prove it does or doesn’t do by looking both an MQA DAC and an MQA ADC, something that no one here has appparently thought to do. If you had read my very next post, you would have seen a controlled experiment designed to asses that, but maybe the person who reads for you given your apparent illiteracy had to leave for the day.

7 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

but I'll refrain from further responding on this topic. It is going nowhere. 

Why?

I tried to offer a brief explanation of the relationship between filtering and interpolation. Galileo365 replied with nonsense and accused me of being abusive. It is easy to get drawn into a back-and-forth argument, but this serves nobody.

I'm happy to continue discussing filters and sampling theory with the rest of you, but I won't be replying to Galileo365 again, unless he changes his tack.

2 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Uhh how can we? Since the process is closed. We have had people reverse engineer the system. I think you should Archimago's take on the MQA fiasco. Mansr really understands it also as does shadders. Please read background first.

I can spot a BS artist from a mile away, regardless of his or her background. mansr has already undermined his own credibility beyond repair from the perspective of any truly sensible and open-minded person.

4 hours ago, mcgillroy said:

An MQA-ADC?! Where? Nobody has seen any in the wild and it’s questionable if they exist.

Prediction: that Mytek device if it ever appears will only lead to further disenchantment with MQA.

Probably intended for the pro market, like Mytek's other well regarded ADCs.

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

16 minutes ago, Galileo365 said:

I can spot a BS artist from a mile away, regardless of his or her background. mansr has already undermined his own credibility beyond repair from the perspective of any truly sensible and open-minded person.

How? 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, mcgillroy said:

An MQA-ADC?! Where? Nobody has seen any in the wild and it’s questionable if they exist.

Prediction: that Mytek device if it ever appears will only lead to further disenchantment with MQA.

It exists on their website: https://mytekdigital.com/brooklyn-adc/

"Brooklyn ADC is the first commercially available ADC to feature built in MQA Kernel (TM) to be used for mastering to MQA streaming format."

My best guess for what this means is that they take the 384 kHz (or possibly DSD) output from the ADC chip and downsample it to 96 kHz using the leaky MQA filters. What is clear is that this device does not incorporate an MQA encoder. It is merely the encoding side counterpart to the so-called renderer for playback.

23 minutes ago, mansr said:

I tried to offer a brief explanation of the relationship between filtering and interpolation. Galileo365 replied with nonsense and accused me of being abusive. It is easy to get drawn into a back-and-forth argument, but this serves nobody.

I'm happy to continue discussing filters and sampling theory with the rest of you, but I won't be replying to Galileo365 again, unless he changes his tack.

Thanks for the reply Mans.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Your explanation was not brief and when I countered it logically you dismissively blew me off with yet another in a long series of personal attacks rather than new or more information and an explanation, a sign of a weak, feeble, and insecure mind for sure, and you only withdrew your attacks and dropped the subject when I reported your deragatory posts to the admins, and are now pretnding that I was the one being unreasonable because I did not, by default, regard you with god-like status. Sorry to bruise your ego, but that’s life in the big city. If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

What is clear is that this device does not incorporate an MQA encoder. It is merely the encoding side counterpart to the so-called renderer for playback.

Wow, you got that all from a few words in marketing speak, so your basis that the Mytek ADC as a way to test MQA in practice is invalid comes without any formal analysis. Are you really so scared that you might be wrong that you need to poison the idea of a controlled experiment before it starts?

4 minutes ago, opus101 said:

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

I assume you are referring to yourself here?

2 hours ago, Galileo365 said:

Wow, you got that all from a few words in marketing speak, so your basis that the Mytek ADC as a way to test MQA in practice is invalid comes without any formal analysis. Are you really so scared that you might be wrong that you need to poison the idea of a controlled experiment before it starts?

“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone listening to music.”