IGNORED

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

36 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

No way.  Check out this review of the Schiit Vidar.  There is none of GUTB's signature vitriol.

"made me smile"?  Or "hell of a system" and "Vidar" in the same sentence?  No f-ing way GUTB is Steve Guttenberg.

I agree.

Steve Guttenberg shows none of the contempt, negativity, and elitist attitude that GUTB displays.

Also, Steve G appears to have different (better) equipment than GUTB:

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

46 minutes ago, GUTB said:

What’s your explanation for why they don’t believe in or care about high end audio?

Probably for the same reasons why model trains as a hobby is dying out.

Sound familiar?

Once thought of as every boy’s dream toy, model trains have become a domain mainly for old men. At clubs devoted to the hobby, members below 60 years old are the young bucks. Some retirement homes provide model-railroading rooms for their residents.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/end-of-the-line-for-model-trains-aging-hobbyists-trundle-on-1455157546

Just now, GUTB said:

So, in your view they just don’t care that much about audio quality?

More the fact they have no time, no money, and no space for audio components combined with a hundred other possible ways to spend their time. 

BTW, how old are you?

11 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Does anyone have any evidence of Stereophile shilling for MQA? Even hearsay?

@seldomheard repeated the not-ringing-you’re-dumb statement that was addressed by Austin in the comments section, possibly he’s someone who’s been embarrassed by that? I hope he comes back and posts his industry affiliation — that would give him credibility and I seriously doubt an experienced engineer/designer will be out of a job because he said mean things about Stereophile.

Do you have any industry affiliation?

Multiple people have asked you if you are Steve Guttenberg with no response from you.

8 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Please step away from the deep end. Stereophile has been in print for over 50 years, and John Atkinson has been at Stereophile for over 30.

Still no answer to yesterday's question:

21 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Do you have any industry affiliation?

Multiple people have asked you if you are Steve Guttenberg with no response from you.

20 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Sorry, I thought you said HK900.

It's very unlikely that a consumer grade class A/B at that price bracket is close to state of the art...but it's a decent weight, so it might be good. Also, it seems that it's out of production...looks like HK tried and failed to sell into the mid-fi market (which doesn't mean the amp sucks, just that HK wasn't successful for whatever reason).

Here's what Kalman Rubinson at Stereophile, who actually listened to the amp, said:

I found that Harman Kardon's HK 990 delivered on all its promises. Its power amp is very strong and agile. Its purely analog performance, from input to speaker, is worthy of the highest-quality sources and signals. Digital sources are handled cleanly and at high (24-bit/96kHz) resolution. But most important, the HK 990 brings modern audio features to a two-channel system by providing useful bass management and effective room/system equalization. I've always believed that, given adequacy in all components, speakers and room acoustics will be the biggest determinants of a system's overall sound. The Harman Kardon HK 990 integrated amplifier not so much refutes as confirms that belief. Unlike purely analog amplifiers, it can actually improve the sound of your speakers in your room. At less than $2599, the HK 990 should be on every audiophile's shopping list.

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Not quite accurate. You can use the Pyramix DAW to edit DSD files. It converts the DSD data to DXD PCM just for the splice but leaves the data either side of the splice as DSD.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

My understanding is that it depends on the type of splice. Butt splices don't require conversion to DXD while crossfades do.

• 4 months later...
26 minutes ago, Galileo365 said:

OK, I see, Audiophile Neuroscience. Thank you. I was once 19, too, and naturally gifted (or so I have been told) in the areas of predicate logic, binary math, and software design and development, relying primarily on my intuition until I more formally educated myself both at college and afterwards. I just learned early on not to dismiss any idea out of hand simply because it contradicted my own thoughts or ideas; but that's more an issue of personal style and humility than anything else. I will say, just because I'm in the mood to do so, that whatever prodigious talent Mansr has, if he or she wants to grow and learn and hone his or her own skills, that listening before you talk or a least explaining why you believe something to be true will likely get you farther than being dismissive. Although, that is his or her burden to bear alone.

Before you embarrass yourself any further by drawing conclusions based on erroneous information, you should know that Audiophile Neuroscience's comment about Mansr being 19 was a reference to his youthful appearance, not his actual age. 

1 hour ago, Galileo365 said:

Plus, I have to say that, regardless of Mansr's age or level of experience, I still feel ethically-bound to offer him the same unsolicited advice.

Welcome to CA!

2 hours ago, Galileo365 said:

Wow, you got that all from a few words in marketing speak, so your basis that the Mytek ADC as a way to test MQA in practice is invalid comes without any formal analysis. Are you really so scared that you might be wrong that you need to poison the idea of a controlled experiment before it starts?

22 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I thought the point of this was to figure out if Galileo365 was Andy Schaub or just some other guy from Stanford.

Seems to fit the fact pattern.

• 3 weeks later...