IGNORED

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

48 minutes ago, GUTB said:

In regards to speakers, I believe the factor is being time-correct, ie, not bieng smeared with certain crossover elements.

There’s also various technologies that help...Zu has a system I forget the name of. One boutique maker uses a method that includes connecting the two speakers together to exchange information: http://vanlspeakerworks.com/theory.html

You have the knack.  No, sorry, saying regular speakers are monophonic below 400 hz is wrong.  They aren't. Represents a misunderstanding of the effect of stereo described in Blumlein's patent in the 1930's. 

Now having difference voice coils will widen the stage some.  It is a very poor method for doing that.  One can much more simply add that in processing of the file.  Works like processing a mid-side recording.  More difference is wider with less center fill.  

Refering to the Van L speakerworks theory in your link. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Its like saying you can comment anonymously on the weekend because you aren’t working for anyone. His language and some searching lead me to believe he has violated the rules of CA. This has zero to do with the subject matter. 

I would assume had he PM'd you with his past affiliations and confirming none are currently active you would have left the account intact if that satisfied you.  Or depending upon what you learn perhaps not.  That way he wouldn't have torpedoed future employment publicly. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

3 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

To your credit, you have maintained far more integrity that than Mr. Harley. In fact, I apologize for including his name with yours.

Regarding MQA, it defies logic that a lossy file can be better than the original but, sure, it's possible some will prefer the modified sound. It would be interesting to compare an MQA encoded file with a 192/24 transferred with your QA-9.

And I hope that Mr. Austin's series includes the non-sonic issues raised by Linn Audio, among many others.

My initially impulse about lossy being better than original would be to agree.  However it is possible to be the reverse.  One could consider 48khz/24 lossy in a sense it filters out higher frequencies.  Yet doing so allows a format which is highly accurate at reproducing the sounds humans can hear.  So it isn't impossible for partial lossy encoding with particular filtering which has some advantages to work within the constraints of a given format to be humanly heard as better.  That is something of the claim of MQA.  I am not convinced it is true, but it can't be ruled out purely on the basis of simple logic.  That logic would be over-simplifying things potentially.  

In this case of MQA, I think the claims about blurring in time is conflating several things to fix a problem which isn't perceived aurally by humans at the expense of some imaging contamination and other factors.  Meaning MQA probably is of lesser rather than greater fidelity to masters vs getting those masters in the native sample rate and bit depth. 

4 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

With due respect, I'm really, really hard pressed to believe you have "fans".

Sounds like you haven't spent time reading super best audio friends forum. (SBAF btw not SABF)  Read up about plankton in headphone listening.  Although with all due respect the SBAF moderator accused GUTB of crapping up his plankton thread. 

3 hours ago, Archimago said:

snippage...

No... This is not elegant. It's sadly rather ugly. Objectively viewed from the perspective of consumer needs, this certainly does not appear like a refinement of sound quality or consumer convenience. I think that's quite obvious from the start because consumers did not ask for this!

You are correct consumers did not ask for this.  But audiophiles asked for the idea of this.  We have a serial lies situation about what MQA does vs what it claims.  The key selling point was asked for by audiophiles.  Access to the exact master file sound.  

2 hours ago, GUTB said:

I'm also familiar with Archimago's "work", and most of his objections are based on FUD. Among all the anti-MQA personalities, Archimago is possibly the most openly peddling an agenda.

The concept of building a controlled end-to-end music consumption cycle that links the mastering engineer, commercial distribution and the end consumer playback system via a single technology solution is, in fact, elegant.

We have that in toto already.  Record and master your music.  Provide that master file bit for bit.  DONE.  END to END.  All we require is honesty in what is provided.  You know how we can get that without MQA?  Let mastering engineers provide a checksum we can hash with what is provided.  Nothing else is required. 

Magical mystery tour.

They want to take you away.

• 3 weeks later...

Austin's claims are so much the same as MQA's the by line should have read, Written by Jim "Bob Stuart" Austin. 

This is so disingenuous it makes me want to vomit.  

Is it a Freudian slip that the origami illustration uses a dollar bill?  You can't make this stuff up.  

218mqaaustin.promo__0.jpg

Finally, we need to decide whether MQA is good or bad for music. We audiophiles probably won't get to decide MQA's fate, but we do get to have an opinion.—Jim Austin

So now though pitched initially toward audiophiles and sold as a boon for sound quality we are told, eh, audiophiles don't get to decide anyway.  They can have an opinion.  (for all the good it will do them is left unsaid)

22 minutes ago, Indydan said:

With that reasoning, one could argue that mp3 only discards the unimportant bits of music. So mp3 is also lossless in that sense. The mental gymnastics and wanking by the MQA people is disingenuous. 

Well just to be clear, the people who created mp3 didn't claim or think it was transparent.  It was an attempt to make it as close to transparent as possible while greatly reducing bit rate in the days when bandwidth was much more restricted. Improvements have made it near transparent at higher bit rates though still not transparent.  So they are throwing away bits of music less important rather than unimportant.  

But otherwise, yes I agree with you, it is a case of disingenuous mental gymnastics in the case of MQA.