IGNORED

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

I find it funny and sad that Stereophile is so rabid about MQA. They really don't seem to want to hear the negative comments and tests that other websites, manufacturers an audiophiles have about it, like this page...

https://media.ccc.de/v/34c3-9113-mqa_-_a_clever_stealth_drm-trojan

and there are other. This all gives me pause.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

3 hours ago, GUTB said:

And yet—the Inconvenient Truth that MQA sound better is still with us. Last night I bough the 192 and MQA versions of the same album from hiresaudio and the MQA version is CLEARLY better. Since the booklet confirms that the album was mastered in multi-channel 24/192 with a stereo and MQA version also to be released (Japanese audiophile label UNAMAS) we are fairly well assured both versions are from the same source by the same engineer. This was on a Pro-Ject S2 that does native MQA full unfolding.

The difference was not small, and anyone with a native MQA DAC has had these experiences. What I’m really interested in knowing is if this is really the result of time domain deblurring or if there’s some form of EQ trick being applied. None of the MQA haters seem to be able to account for this and I hope Jim Austin can.

Can you prove they were from the same master? If you cannot - saying one is better than the other is basic nonsense. Just like 192 files can be made from CD masters, so can MQA files. Hence, we need verification BEFORE throwing more money down the rat hole, that is this hobby.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 1 month later...

I find it interesting that MQA say that ultrasonics have no affect on hearing. This is one of many papers I found on the exact opposite effect.

http://arpjournal.com/unheard-sounds-the-aesthetics-of-inaudible-sounds-made-audible/

it is quite interesting, actually.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 4 months later...

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Thanks for reminding me again.  So even though all digital is going to be lossy in some sense since we don't have perfect filters (but we can have very good ones), beyond the filtering these folks are actively throwing away bits to do proprietary (and unnecessary) compression.

Well, depending on the DAC, one does not need to use any filters. Some allow you to play music w/o filters.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590