IGNORED

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

6 hours ago, Archimago said:

No... This is not elegant. It's sadly rather ugly.

I always found the underlying principle elegant, or clever, as I expressed it on Day One:

Look at the actual signal, look at the actual noise floor. Determine how shallow an AA filter you can get away

with, so that any aliasing below 20kHz falls below the noise floor.

But anything MQA beyond that is an attrocity, and politically so totally wrong ... making the grand sum of it ugly, indeed.

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

as far as we're aware, there are no strong DRM mechanisms in place (other than the hassles of using specific software, upgrading hardware and not accessing the full resolution for doing our own DSP).

I disagree. In my book the latter all mean a significant curtailing of my digital rights.

Did anyone catch this gem?

Austin writes

One of the challenges levied against MQA by its more knowledgeable critics is that ... its sampling method—and the resulting, presumed(*) increase in aliasing—introduce randomness in precisely when those impulses occur..... I synchronized the MQA and non-MQA impulse responses: MQA in the left channel, non-MQA in the right. Over 30 seconds of impulses spaced 0.7ms apart, examined on a microsecond scale, I saw no random offsets—or offsets of any kind—in where MQA's impulses landed.

The stimulus file being perfect impulses generated in the 96kHz digital domain ...

And this guy is writing a technical investigation that should carry some authority, that is impartial?

Either he is lying, or he does not understand sampling. At all.

(* Oh, and 'presumed'??? really?? As if said critics were making it up?)

20 minutes ago, mansr said:

It's anything but clear what that "test" entailed or what it was supposed to show. A file cannot have MQA in one channel only. Besides, there's no reason to expect a cumulative timing error, nor any variation with a repeated input.

From what I understand the test impulses were in 96k MQA file format, but they were still ideal dirac pulses, i.e. totally unfiltered, except for the origami split/join. As such the individual pulses are in sync with the sampling grid, and indeed there should be no variation in output timing.

But this is contrary to what Austin expected: " I saw no random offsets—or offsets of any kind—in where MQA's impulses landed ". Of course he didn't. He didn't test for it. But now he thinks, and wrote, that he has debunked one item of the criticism.

As for the channels: he recorded the MQA and PCM outputs of a DAC in to an ADC, and afterwards put one channel of each file side by side. That should be obvious.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Norton said:

If you apply DSP after decoding you lose  the MQA license (?) and get < CD quality?

You can only apply DSP properly after full decoding, but there is no decoder in existence that allows you to apply DSP to its output.

If you apply DSP before full decoding it will break the MQA code and will not allow you to decode.

The best one can do today is to take the unfolded digital output of Tidal or of a Node2 and apply DSP to that.

Even this was originally not allowed in the MQA paradigm.

10 minutes ago, Norton said:

once fed by Tidal MQA, the idea I then get  <  CD quality is patently absurd.

In MQA parlance the output of Tidal is not "fully decoded".

Once truly fully decoded you no longer have access to the data, hence no DSP.

• 5 months later...