IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

8 hours ago, GoldenEar said:

Hi all,

may I come back to this issue. I also have the impression that my first 2.3 curve resulted in a slight shift to the left. I read this recommendation and turned off the two checkboxes, which resulted in a centered soundstage, but the tonal quality is worse than with checked boxes.

During measurements I played music with JRiver and the Dirac Processor was ON. My question is: Does Dirac LIve use the processor during calibration or does it bypass the processor? Do I have to uncheck the two boxes in JRiver during calibration in order to obtain a centered soundstage?

Good question, I have always unchecked any filter before creating a new project.  Even though I assumed it would not use it to create the new project.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, michael123 said:

Installed & re-measured. 

Sound bit different, I think more forward, I like it more. 

Did you re-measure the a new project?  if so, I would have thought it is likely to sound different because even with the best efforts, putting the mic in precisely the same spots as a previous project would be impossible.  Have you tried re-loading an existing project and creating a second filter with the new version for a  like for like comparison?

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

1 hour ago, michael123 said:

I didn't re-measure as I wanted to conduct the full procedure to verify the new UI. i don't know precisely where were the fixes, was it just during the last step of filter prep or also during measurements? 

BUT, I want to say that that's the point of Dirac - even though the placement varies a bit, result should be more or less the same, isn't it?

I measure 'Wide' arrangement, I have quite a bit sofa and there are 17? points.

I remember Flavio told me once that does not really matter how exact you put the microphone, except for the sweet spot.

Anyway, my sofa has these sitting pillow so I put the mic kind of in between so it is more or less similar to what I did before.

Having said that, I see the new measurement produced same gain for the speakers, but bit different delay values. 

Why? Is it a fix?

Yes results from two projects (even in the same config) will vary very slightly, you can't really avoid it.  They will of course sound extremely close and very different from no filter.  But when listening critically there will be slight differences.  When I did my original project, I measured three (same config - Sofa Narrow) and created a filter with each.   They all sounded excellent, differences were very subtle.  I ran with the one I preferred.  They are very easy to compare in real time and at a consistent volume level.

I will load my project later, create a new filter and compare with the original made on the earlier Dirac version.