IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

My playback chain has a very large latency. This creates an issue when measuring with Dirac. Test tone comes out some 15 seconds after clicking the measure button and by that time the test tone comes out, the progress meter on the Dirac Live screen hits 98% already and Dirac gives up listening to the rest of the test tone which does play in its entirety to the end though. My playback chain involves foobar, upnp renderer, jplay femto upnp server, jplay streamer. I recall HQplayer exhibited a very large latency as well. Does anyone else have similar problem? I already asked Dirac if they can elongation the test tone listening window. 

Music Source: NAS[Synology], Qobuz, Tidal

Music Player: Roonserver[Mac mini]

Control PC: squeeze2upnp, fb2k, dirac, Jplay Femto, Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 GUI, Mac mini w/HDPlex 200W

Audio PC: Jplay Femto(KS/1000hz), Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 core, i7 w/HDPlex 200W

DDC: Iso Regen w/LPS1.2, Acousence afi+USB (USB to S/PDIF) w/Li-ion battery PS

DAC: Yggdrasil Analog 2

@michael123 Thanks for your kind comment.

Yes, I will probably resort to that idea for now but the whole idea behind vst chain measurement is that we can use the very same playback chain to measure the sound characteristics. I find jplay femto sound quite different than my other playback chains and I'd love to be able to use my preferred choice of playback combo to do the measurement.

Control PC: squeeze2upnp, fb2k, dirac, Jplay Femto, Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 GUI, Mac mini w/HDPlex 200W

Audio PC: Jplay Femto(KS/1000hz), Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 core, i7 w/HDPlex 200W

I will give Marcin a try. I hope he is in a good mood :o

I finally got the production version working and am finding it much more stable. However, I am experiencing image shifting to the left about 20% (if the center-to-left is100%). I recall someone complaining about this phenomenon some time ago and also recall there was a correction made in the code. Anyone else experiencing image shifting? If I bypass the Dirac filter, image returns to the center. I also noticed that degree of shift varies between various measurements.

PS. Image becomes vague after applying Dirac. hmmm

On 2/1/2019 at 2:18 AM, michelangelo said:

I have the same problem.
The error did not occur in the previous version of the DiracLiveProcessor.

I have also tested it with several mono recordings and the sound is shifted to the left.

Especially there he should come exactly from the middle.

Hi @michelangelo, Does the problem still persist or is it gone with the current version?

@michelangelo, Thanks for your reply. Flak (Flavio) just informed me of a fix. I turned off both compensation check marks off in the DLP panel and all is well. Does anyone know what these settings do?

image.png.d4147f8a8957d3986460e5599403ce10.png

Turning off the delay compensation setting fixed the issue.

I asked the same question to flak and only explanation give to me was that they affect the 1st measurement position (the critical one) only in the set of 9(chair) or 17(sofa). Therefore, make sure the 1st measurement position is exactly in the sweet spot.

Home Audio Fidelity uses "two microphones in your ears (a.k.a. HRTF)" way to find sweet spot. Different algorithm. But you have to pay per measurement + turnaround time. In those regards, I prefer Dirac.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am on 1.0.2. I still need to turn off the "Delay compensation" setting. Only then, the centering issue is gone. Do you not have that issue even if the "Delay compensation" setting is on? I still do not know what exactly the setting does, though.

• 1 month later...

After upgrading to DLP v1.1.0, hires files are reproduced at much reduced volume (90% of the time). It is especially true right after playing 44.1khz files. I am running DLP(vst2) hosted by Foobar2000 v1.4.3. Does anyone have similar issues?

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the v1.2.0 DLP for the past few days and found it to be the most stable version yet. I have not seen a crash nor the attenuation issue I experienced with v1.1.0. BTW I am using Foobar2000 v1.4.3 as its hosting program. Nice job. Thanks.

Yes, foo_vst v0.9.0.3. I wonder if anyone has done a comparison SQ-wise between jriver and foobar (as far as DLP is concerned). I kinda thought foobar is a lighter engine, hence better sound (wild guess).

• 2 months later...

Hi @flak,

Would the bass management software work with minidsp DDRC-24? I wish to run 2 front channels w/ 2 sub-woofers. 

Hi @flak,

Is there a separate load for the Dirac 3 (aka. Bass Control) or will it become a part of the Dirac 2? If separate, will there be another beta run?

• 1 month later...

Impression: Dirac Live v3.0 + Dirac Live Processor v1.3.2

Very nice. Indeed, more forward placement of instruments like michael123's comment above. I can almost reach out and touch someone (or thing). Like in your lap kinda palpability. Some people might prefer larger sound stage with more laid back sound (please see my settings below). I used to prefer the flat target curve more than the auto curve. For about 70% of the music I listen to, I used the flat curve generated filter. With the new version, I probably can live with just the flat curve only. Tone is fuller sounding and highs command less attention. For me this upgrade is a large step up in all departments of SQ, highs, mids, bass, tone density, imaging, sound stage size, overall naturalness. This is a very nice surprise and I hope you have similar experience.

* Note on settings

I took a new measurement with the studio monitor setting. (Regenerating a new filter from old files gave me an error message after upgrading the DLP v1.3.2.) Each speaker is 4-ft away from the listening position with 110-degree apart and 6ft away from the back wall. This set up gives you a similar sensation to listening to binaural recordings with good headsets. foobar2000 is used as a VST host.

Hi @flak,

I am noticing "No Signal" sign flickering in the DLP UI. (see pic below)

Should I be concerned?

no_signal_DLP.png