IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

Here they have knowledge and hands on experience with current Dirac Live as clearly shown i.e. here:

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/av-nirvana-speaker-evaluation-event-tower-speakers-1200-or-less-results.1640/

Todd visited our booth at CES and updated his original article about the upcoming new version:

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/dirac-research-officially-launches-major-update-at-ces-2018.2128/

I think that the current version sounds pretty well already so that improving its listening results is an accomplishment:

"AV NIRVANA had an opportunity to sit down with Dirac’s Jakob Ågren at CES 2018 and review a prototype version of Dirac’s new software platform. The room’s demo system performed as one would expect, delivering a wider and more focused soundstage"

:)Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Hi Flavio, this you can hardly call an overview of the new features or the tablet app and functionality etc. I see so many AV products these days with nice reviews an short clips that can show and promote the product in so many ways. Even Trinov got up to speed on this. 

Dirac is maybe depending on the brands like Arcam and NAD to penetrate into the masses minds as the premium room correction solution but I personally think that there should be much more done in this department to promote and show of the product. 

Nevertheless I am a big fan and can’t wait to take the new version for a spin on my system. 

Btw. Sennheisser has some nice binaural consumer recording in ears and it crossed my mind if it would be possible to use two mics (L and R ear) in order to acquire the main listening possition instead of the single point that sits in the middle of the head and is mono. Could this benefit in any way with the tesult or is this compensated already in the single measurement? I guess you folks may use this technique already in the car when tuning the sound since the space is really tight there. 

Nice Day!

Juraj(Youreye)

• 1 month later...

Was wondering... any update on when the next gen Dirac Live is going to be released....

The original version is not stable on my dedicated Win 10 server.... so have given up pending the new release.

Cheers,

Dave

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

• 2 weeks later...

Pentium III is old news and, imho, entirely inadequate today.  If you are doing multichannel, high-resolution, DiracLive and/or any other processing (up-sampling, downsampling, bass management, active crossovers, etc.), you will need at least a 7th generation i7.  I am running an i7-770K and it is adequate......................................so far.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

On 24/3/2018 at 7:50 PM, Robert van Diggele said:

Flavio, what type of CPU would you recommend for use of Jriver with the 8 channel Dirac Live. I know the website says Pentium III or higher, but what would you recommend with 7th/8th gen Intel? Thanks.

As stated by Kal required processing power may skyrocket with additional other processing (up-sampling, downsampling, bass management, active crossovers, etc. ) but Dirac Live by itself is well designed and not power hungry.

Personally I've been able to use Dirac Live (Stereo version) with a humble Acer netbook (Atom CPU) with two mega of RAM.

I think that any current i3/5/7 Series Intel processor will work (not taking other processing loads into account), we always suggest to double check the set-up with the Trial anyhow.

:) Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2018 at 6:33 PM, flak said:

Yes, March is over... some issues have been found during internal testing but we should be able to release a public beta during this month

and no, this is not an April 1st joke :)

Hi flak

How is Dirac doing? Have Dirac forgot and abandoned their music loving audiophiles? Your 1st April post seems to be a joke after all, or have I been missing something? 

From Dirac website and Facebook page it seems to me that Dirac is focusing only in virtual reality and mobile sound. I don't know this market at all, but that focus seems a bit strange to me. Virtual reality to me seems to be another reality than most of us are living in. A short lived hype more than the next big thing. Most people are listening to music on their mobile devices with 15$ headphones, do they care about Dirac? 

Dirac is in a very fragile position. Just imagine what would happen if Roon introduces a user friendly DRC. They already have the convolution engine, so the step would be very small. 

Next generation Dirac Live was announced December 6th 2017. Making false expectations can do more harm than good. I hope Dirac will keep head above water in the years to come. 

Fredrik 

Hi Flavio,

Please put me on the beta tester list (if not totally public^^).

Yong

Music Source: NAS[Synology], Qobuz, Tidal

Music Player: Roonserver[Mac mini]

Control PC: squeeze2upnp, fb2k, dirac, Jplay Femto, Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 GUI, Mac mini w/HDPlex 200W

Audio PC: Jplay Femto(KS/1000hz), Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 core, i7 w/HDPlex 200W

DDC: Iso Regen w/LPS1.2, Acousence afi+USB (USB to S/PDIF) w/Li-ion battery PS

DAC: Yggdrasil Analog 2

12 hours ago, PowerQuality said:

Hi flak

How is Dirac doing? Have Dirac forgot and abandoned their music loving audiophiles? Your 1st April post seems to be a joke after all, or have I been missing something? 

From Dirac website and Facebook page it seems to me that Dirac is focusing only in virtual reality and mobile sound. I don't know this market at all, but that focus seems a bit strange to me. Virtual reality to me seems to be another reality than most of us are living in. A short lived hype more than the next big thing. Most people are listening to music on their mobile devices with 15$ headphones, do they care about Dirac? 

Dirac is in a very fragile position. Just imagine what would happen if Roon introduces a user friendly DRC. They already have the convolution engine, so the step would be very small. 

Next generation Dirac Live was announced December 6th 2017. Making false expectations can do more harm than good. I hope Dirac will keep head above water in the years to come. 

Fredrik 

Patience, patience... I do not think you will shame or threaten them into releasing something before it is ready.  I look forward to it, too, and the sooner the better, but not if it is unready for prime time.  The older version still works perfectly fine, but I welcome any improvements.

I spent some time talking with a Dirac representative at Munich HighEnd but, since I agreed to keep it off the record at his request, all I can say is that they have a well-considered strategic plan for a number of future developments.  Of course, I would love to tell you more and, indeed, I sure would love to get my hands on the new products now.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All DRC software companies should learn from video calibration companies. All three major one like  Chromapure, Calman and Lightspace are developing their products and updating constantly. Every couple if months there is sth new. In DRC only Audiolense is introducing new features.  It looks like Dirac has only change the way it works without any new features. And for any update we needed to wait years.  Acourate's only update in years was to change on their website the realease date of the latest 1.9.8 version from 2016 to 2018 so it seems fresh new. All these products are excellent but at least one of them could introduce managing many multisubs as one channel in a proper way aka multisub optimizer. Dirac needs finally a crossover feature for blending subs and mains.

Macmini/ Jriver MC26 - Audiofire 12 - MSB-MVC-1 volume control - Cinepro 2k6 amp - Geddes Abbey speakers plus 4 x 10" Aurasound subs

There is a beta program running? Can I just ask Flavio for it?

Control PC: squeeze2upnp, fb2k, dirac, Jplay Femto, Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 GUI, Mac mini w/HDPlex 200W

Audio PC: Jplay Femto(KS/1000hz), Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 core, i7 w/HDPlex 200W

are you saying there is no beta program running or it takes more than just ask to paticipate in one?

Sorry I had to dig it. I get the idea. Thanks for the positive note. ^^

7 hours ago, dziemian said:

All DRC software companies should learn from video calibration companies. All three major one like  Chromapure, Calman and Lightspace are developing their products and updating constantly. Every couple if months there is sth new. In DRC only Audiolense is introducing new features.  It looks like Dirac has only change the way it works without any new features. And for any update we needed to wait years.  Acourate's only update in years was to change on their website the realease date of the latest 1.9.8 version from 2016 to 2018 so it seems fresh new. All these products are excellent but at least one of them could introduce managing many multisubs as one channel in a proper way aka multisub optimizer. Dirac needs finally a crossover feature for blending subs and mains.

Are there specic Dirac features that you feel you need which are of general interest and not part of the announced new version, or are you looking for updates for the sake of updates?  

I don't find frequent updates or new features necessarily a sign of desireable software.  Quantity does not equal quality.  And, the ever expanding features mindset can lead to feature bloat, seriously diminishing ease of use over time, like Windows and much other software.  I used to like Quicken for bill paying and home accounting, but constantly added features, most useless to me, have way over complicated what was once a nice, easy to use package.  Even my cell phones have gotten so feature laden, I have no clue what a fraction of the features even are.

I use Dirac rather than Audiolense or Acourate because it is reasonably comprehensive, technically sophisticated internally, very effective sonically, but with a superior GUI with far greater ease of learning and day-to-day use than most other EQ tools.  I would hate to see Dirac try to get into a features race and transform itself into a monstrosity like some other packages.  Fortunately, I think Dirac understands this.

Because of lack if certain features I need to use full dirac version with minidsp (crossovers and channel matrix) plus jriver (bass management downstream) and multisub optimizer software for my 4 subs. So yes, dirac lacks some features, and some if them are basic. For the same reason I am looking for a software which can do this all and I dont think I demand too much. Audio technology in DSP, especially in DRC is changing  and hardware and software must adapt to it. I have a feeling that hardware and proxessing power is a head of drc software these days.

Macmini/ Jriver MC26 - Audiofire 12 - MSB-MVC-1 volume control - Cinepro 2k6 amp - Geddes Abbey speakers plus 4 x 10" Aurasound subs