IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

Hi dziemian,

which information in Dirac's website are you referring to?

May be you can post a link?

I did'nt test a multichannel set-up but I heard that  twelve channels have been tested at 96 KHz but more could possibly be used (eventually at a lower sampling rate)

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

I have the 2.0 Beta, thanks to flak.  But, I am somewhat dissuaded from installing it due to comments here,  and particularly the apparent need to uninstall all previously working versions of Dirac, which I use regularly in Mch.  I am fearful of losing everything if the 2.0 Beta does not work properly in Mch.

I am also, for the first time, experimenting with JRiver 24 64-bit.  Previously, my standard daily config was JR 23 32-bit with an old beta version, apparently pre-64-bit, of an older Dirac VST plugin.  Loved the VST, but I don't seem to be able to get it to work with JR24/64.  

So, it seems prudent for me to hold off a bit until things settle down somewhat.  And, I know user documentation is not a high priority among developers in beta testing.  But, a little bit more than we have got might solve a lot of problems.  I am encoraged by the new feature set in Dirac 2.0, however.

Hi Fitzcaraldo,

if you are using the previous 1.x beta with JRiver 24 64-bit you might try using the 64-bit plugin that is installed as well.

Thanks for your comments about instructions, we'll try to improve them... possibly even before the official release.

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

1 hour ago, flak said:

Hi dziemian,

which information in Dirac's website are you referring to?

May be you can post a link?

I did'nt test a multichannel set-up but I heard that  twelve channels have been tested at 96 KHz but more could possibly be used (eventually at a lower sampling rate)

Hi Flak, 

I dont understand your post. Full version of Dirac Live was limited to 8 channels. Does it mean that V2 Full version can operate with more channels than 8? Could you please let us know if there is a multichannel beta version as well? I cant directly compare the new beta stereo setup at the moment as I used to use mains with subwoofer in 2.1 configuration.

The link to Dirac Live Unicorn has already been given and I am still curious what it is.   

Macmini/ Jriver MC26 - Audiofire 12 - MSB-MVC-1 volume control - Cinepro 2k6 amp - Geddes Abbey speakers plus 4 x 10" Aurasound subs

1 hour ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

I have the 2.0 Beta, thanks to flak.  But, I am somewhat dissuaded from installing it due to comments here,  and particularly the apparent need to uninstall all previously working versions of Dirac, which I use regularly in Mch.  I am fearful of losing everything if the 2.0 Beta does not work properly in Mch.

I am also, for the first time, experimenting with JRiver 24 64-bit.  Previously, my standard daily config was JR 23 32-bit with an old beta version, apparently pre-64-bit, of an older Dirac VST plugin.  Loved the VST, but I don't seem to be able to get it to work with JR24/64.  

So, it seems prudent for me to hold off a bit until things settle down somewhat.  And, I know user documentation is not a high priority among developers in beta testing.  But, a little bit more than we have got might solve a lot of problems.  I am encoraged by the new feature set in Dirac 2.0, however.

What was the incentive to upgrade to V24?

Jim does not want to listen anything related to audio, there are no new features in V24 anyway.

..and V23 64-bit works perfectly with Dirac VST2

20 hours ago, michael123 said:

What was the incentive to upgrade to V24?

Jim does not want to listen anything related to audio, there are no new features in V24 anyway.

..and V23 64-bit works perfectly with Dirac VST2

Agreed, there has been little new in audio in JRiver for some time.  Why mess with a good thing?  My primary motivation was BD chapter menus, and other more minor things, and I thought I would go to 64-bit simultaneously with 24, rather than updating JR 23.  Plus, I just like to keep my software reasonably up to date, except for Win 10, thanks, as long as Win 7 is still supported and updated.

I will ill continue to play carefully with JR 24/64, including VST2, as well as Dirac 2.0. 

On 7/10/2018 at 8:30 PM, dziemian said:

Hi Flak, 

I dont understand your post. Full version of Dirac Live was limited to 8 channels. Does it mean that V2 Full version can operate with more channels than 8? Could you please let us know if there is a multichannel beta version as well? I cant directly compare the new beta stereo setup at the moment as I used to use mains with subwoofer in 2.1 configuration.

The link to Dirac Live Unicorn has already been given and I am still curious what it is.   

My understanding is that the current beta build is stereo only, 12 channels at 96 KHz have been tested for an AVR version.

The Unicorn vanished, that's what they always do :) 

9 hours ago, flak said:

My understanding is that the current beta build is stereo only, 12 channels at 96 KHz have been tested for an AVR version.

The Unicorn vanished, that's what they always do :) 

That is very useful information, thanks.  Unfortunately, most of my listening is in Mch. So, I will have to wait for an 8 channel Beta release.  No doubt, most other users are satisfied with stereo only, though.  Good luck, and best wishes.  I will remain interested and hang around.

On 7/9/2018 at 11:43 AM, flak said:

I have to inform that we now have as many beta testers as our developers can follow so no new ones are added at the moment,

it's possible that we will be able to add more in the future though, if so I'll announce it here.

Thanks for your understanding, Flavio

I think at the moment is not possible.

♦ iTunes ♦ Audirvana 3.5 ♦ Dirac Live ♦ Dynaudio Connect ♦ Dynaudio Focus 200 XD ♦ Allo Digione Signatur Player ♦ Dynaudio Focus 600 XD ♦

The instructions that we have given to standalone Dirac Live 2.0 beta testers have been written thinking of professionals using DAWs.

Also the new version is completely different from 1.x so I've prepared the following document:

http://diracdocs.com/Dirac Live 2.0 beta testing.pdf

Please take into account that it is not intended for beta testers of the AVR versions.

:) Flavio

19 hours ago, flak said:

Excellent, Flávio.  This should be very helpful.

I assume you be informing us of new versions of the Beta.  I am eager to jump in, but only when it supports 8 or more channels.

Perhaps also there should be a separate thread specifically for Beta testing comments, problems and questions here at CA or elsewhere, rather than adding to this more general thread.

On 7/12/2018 at 10:54 PM, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

That is very useful information, thanks.  Unfortunately, most of my listening is in Mch. So, I will have to wait for an 8 channel Beta release.  No doubt, most other users are satisfied with stereo only, though.  Good luck, and best wishes.  I will remain interested and hang around.

Same here...

(For 2.1 though not full MCH but still need Dirac MCH in order to correct the Sub channel)

19 hours ago, ronkuper said:

Same here...

(For 2.1 though not full MCH but still need Dirac MCH in order to correct the Sub channel)

Hi ronkuper,

the multichannel version  is not necessary for stereo playback,

the stereo version will adjust gain and delay of those frequencies that are reproduced by the subwofer if it's connected in a stereo set-up and measured as such.

47 minutes ago, flak said:

Hi ronkuper,

the multichannel version  is not necessary for stereo playback,

the stereo version will adjust gain and delay of those frequencies that are reproduced by the subwofer if it's connected in a stereo set-up and measured as such.

I thought these are per channel, not frequency (as represented in the GUI). 

1. Is it different than the current version?

2. Are all corrections per frequency (vs. Channel)? 

3. So now is it considered correct to use the downstream receiver for bass management (i.e. after dirac)? 

Excited ?

Where should I be reporting bugs to?

On a Mac with Bifrost and UMIC-1 mike.

I have gotten to the point where things are installed.  I start up LiveProcessor, configure settings, sees my mike and Dac.  Hit the measure button and Live starts up.  Load the calibration file hit Proceed to Volume Calibration button and I get an "Invalid argument error.  However, it looks like if I don't load the calibration file, things are ok.

Same here.

on a iMac with Dynaudio Connect and UMIC-1.

I have installed Dirac Live and the Dirac Live Processor again. Before that I uninstalled everything and deleted all files I have found (User/Library, /Library).
But the problem is still the same- Dirac Live crashes when I click "Measure" within the Dirac Live processor.

♦ iTunes ♦ Audirvana 3.5 ♦ Dirac Live ♦ Dynaudio Connect ♦ Dynaudio Focus 200 XD ♦ Allo Digione Signatur Player ♦ Dynaudio Focus 600 XD ♦

6 hours ago, Carl Kesselman said:

I start up LiveProcessor, configure settings, sees my mike and Dac.  Hit the measure button and Live starts up.  Load the calibration file hit Proceed to Volume Calibration button and I get an "Invalid argument" error.  However, it looks like if I don't load the calibration file, things are ok.

This initially baffled me too.  I solved it by editing the mic calibration file to delete values for frequencies above 22,005 Hz.  (I did not experiment with values between 22,005 and 23,000, but it definitely fails with any values above 23,000 Hz notwithstanding that my USB mic has a 48 KHz sampling rate, hence a 24 KHz Nyquist frequency.)

I intend to submit a bug report that it should silently ignore higher calibration frequencies instead of failing.

FYI, I initially thought the problem might be the format of the calibration file.  I discovered the delimiter between frequency and amplitude can be a tab, one space or multiple spaces, and it doesn’t matter whether the final value is terminated by a newline.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

On 7/14/2018 at 7:40 PM, flak said:

The instructions that we have given to standalone Dirac Live 2.0 beta testers have been written thinking of professionals using DAWs.

Also the new version is completely different from 1.x so I've prepared the following document:

http://diracdocs.com/Dirac Live 2.0 beta testing.pdf

Please take into account that it is not intended for beta testers of the AVR versions.

:) Flavio

This virtual cable thing didn't work. Followed the instructions, seemed to work, but didn't hear ant sound.

Moreover, then I read the manual and understand that this virtual cable performs rate conversion, and abandoned the idea.

Is it possible to ressurect WDM, for these unfortunate using Roon and Tidal?