IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

23 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

I regularly follow JR Forum and I have seen no complaints about bass management for years

Apparently, we are not on the same page.

Where did I mention a problem/complaint about JR? 

I referenced that thread as an example to the dilemmas proper BM implementation.

To get back to the topic I'll state my point again: 

For me and others who use a subwoofer for stereo music - implementing Bass Management in Dirac would greatly simplify the audio chain and prevent user mistakes (like doing BM at the receiver's end AFTER the correction).

With BM in Dirac - suddenly everything just works across the board, regardless of the music player used. 

Without BM in Dirac - We must rely on the player's ability to do BM and configure it manually for each player.

Ron

43 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Your finding, please correct me if I am wrong,  is is that JR BM reduces the level of redirected bass from main and surround channels by 10 dB, therefore making it equal in level to an input LFE channel, whether or not it is present.  So, the entire summed .1 output sub channel is down by 10dB and summed bass from all channels including LFE use the same relative level

yes that is correct, something downstream has to add 10dB to the SW channel and this is behaviour is independent of content (i.e. it assumes the ch4 on the input is an LFE channel at all times). I didn't know whether that was normal behaviour or not for an AV receiver/processor, assuming it is then such users will be ok as you say. 

34 minutes ago, ronkuper said:

Apparently, we are not on the same page.

Where did I mention a problem/complaint about JR? 

I referenced that thread as an example to the dilemmas proper BM implementation.

To get back to the topic I'll state my point again: 

For me and others who use a subwoofer for stereo music - implementing Bass Management in Dirac would greatly simplify the audio chain and prevent user mistakes (like doing BM at the receiver's end AFTER the correction).

With BM in Dirac - suddenly everything just works across the board, regardless of the music player used. 

Without BM in Dirac - We must rely on the player's ability to do BM and configure it manually for each player.

Ron

Ron - you did link to a confusing old discussion in the JR Forum about early issues between 2.1 and X.1 to support your case that 2.1 needed special handling.  As we now see, it doesn't with JR and Dirac, and we know why, thanks to @3ll3d00d.

Once again, I am all for Dirac doing bass management, and apparently other users are too for the same reasons you have repeated.  So, Dirac is responding and it is on the way.  Beta's of the new Dirac are in some selected users' hands as we speak.  I will gladly switch to it myself when it is finally out.

17 minutes ago, ronkuper said:

@flak stated that it is not part of the new version. I'll be happy if it does, but no reason to think that afaik. 

Ron - by golly, you are right.  I thought it had been announced with 2.0.  But, this quoted press release says they are only considering BM for future release:

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/dirac-research-officially-launches-major-update-at-ces-2018.2128/

Sorry for my false and misleading impressions.  But, there is still other stuff in 2.0 that may be worthwhile.

Meanwhile, JRiver BM still works fine for me.  I understand why you want it in Dirac, however.

17 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Ron - by golly, you are right.  I thought it had been announced with 2.0.  But, this quoted press release says they are only considering BM for future release:

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/dirac-research-officially-launches-major-update-at-ces-2018.2128/

Sorry for my false and misleading impressions.  But, there is still other stuff in 2.0 that may be worthwhile.

Meanwhile, JRiver BM still works fine for me.  I understand why you want it in Dirac, however.

Looks like we've even exchanged some posts over there back then:

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/dirac-research-officially-launches-major-update-at-ces-2018.2128/#post-19447

:P

2 hours ago, michael123 said:

Superb. Can't go back.

Good to hear, I'll be interested in your more detailed thoughts once you've done enough listening. I use Dirac via a MiniDSP DDRC-22D so I think I might have a bit of a long wait before I get to use the 2nd Gen.

8 minutes ago, wanta911 said:

Good to hear, I'll be interested in your more detailed thoughts once you've done enough listening. I use Dirac via a MiniDSP DDRC-22D so I think I might have a bit of a long wait before I get to use the 2nd Gen.

Well, I have an asymmetric listening space (main living room, balcony opening on one side, and open to kitchen space to another).

I used once previous Dirac for few months, but it was extremely unstable for me.

So, listening impressions:

The sound is now very centered and focused.

The depth of sound-stage is like I've added couple of meters behind the back wall.

Micro-dynamics improved: I hear to much greater detail the nuances of voice, it is like somebody whispers into your ear. Drums, guitar strings - sound today like WOW, instead of hearing before black/white now there are more 'grey' tones

Of course, bass is punchy and not boomy.

Everything is very clean, very "black" background

More important - the sound is VERY natural. That's why I love Dirac - in contrary to various other DIY tweaks like FabFilter

I have installed the beta plugins for the Mac and have not had any success. The plugins themselves are supposed to be automatically installed in the library>audio>plugin folders and they are not.

worse, my original beta version asked me to sign in when opened up A+ and it is telling me I do not have a valid license (worked fine on Thursday).

I am now without Dirac. A mess really. Had an email in and hope to hear back soon. 

Just now, TommyCat said:

I did that too, made know difference.  Did you have a successful install?  If yes, were you able to pull in older projects and filters created in the past?

I am on Windows. But Uninstall does not remove everything, so I manually deleted from disk the folders left

did you try to reset your license count at:

https://www.dirac.com/online-store/

image.thumb.png.67abb6c5b00b0571c5fba5712f849778.png

Music Source: NAS[Synology], Qobuz, Tidal

Music Player: Roonserver[Mac mini]

Control PC: squeeze2upnp, fb2k, dirac, Jplay Femto, Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 GUI, Mac mini w/HDPlex 200W

Audio PC: Jplay Femto(KS/1000hz), Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 core, i7 w/HDPlex 200W

DDC: Iso Regen w/LPS1.2, Acousence afi+USB (USB to S/PDIF) w/Li-ion battery PS

DAC: Yggdrasil Analog 2

I still have the install issue but I am starting to think that previous projects and filters may not work with the update b/c there has been a change in the algorithms (“improved”). Has anybody read that the update requires fresh measurements? (I.e can’t use the old stuff). Still a mystery as to how to get the plugins to show up in the correct location.  in V1 I had a set of instructions to manually put the plug ins in the correct folders. I do not see a way to do that now.  I will just have to wait until I hear back from Dirac.