flak

New second generation Dirac Live

Rate this topic

Wow, no coverage from CES about the Dirac Live and the new Bass module? Must be very busy at the Dirac booth. I would love to see at least something not just one picture and the release statement.:((

I was invited to a private meeting with Dirac at CES but, since I no longer go to CES, that never happened.  In my defense of our intrepid reporter, there are many rooms I ignore at shows because they are outside my range of interest and he has to make the same type of choice.

17 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I was invited to a private meeting with Dirac at CES but, since I no longer go to CES, that never happened.  In my defense of our intrepid reporter, there are many rooms I ignore at shows because they are outside my range of interest and he has to make the same type of choice.

Hi Kal! Sorry if this sounded like I would blame you or this community etc. I am just wondering how very little we know about this exciting new features and really no one is reporting on this. Maybe we will see again some interviews later but I would rather see something short  where they show the features, talk about the system the choices etc. Arcam has just (a week ago) released some step by step guidance about the Dirac setup how to.

7 hours ago, Youreye said:

Hi Kal! Sorry if this sounded like I would blame you or this community etc. I am just wondering how very little we know about this exciting new features and really no one is reporting on this. Maybe we will see again some interviews later but I would rather see something short  where they show the features, talk about the system the choices etc. Arcam has just (a week ago) released some step by step guidance about the Dirac setup how to.

Sorry for the tone of my retort.  For some reason, I thought I was reading/responding on Stereophile's website and responded as I would there.  When I realized my error, it was too late to edit it.

Anyway, there is discussion on AVS and on AV Nirvana.  My last direct contact with them was in Munich back in May.  

On 1/13/2019 at 3:12 AM, michael123 said:

For those who use Dirac 2.0: experienced something strange - it was actually very bad, and strange as I used for the lack of issues in this domain

First, I measured 'Sofa' setting, and got focus moved heavily to the left channel. Then I thought something with the measurements points, and measured 'Chair'. Same result - either left channel emphasized, or right - if I swap the measurements points

Real disaster! What went wrong?

Same microphone, same version produced fine results in other system

The difference is that I used 'DirectSound', could not use anything else, did not produce any sound. First used 96Khz, then repeated with 48KHz -- no change apparently

Hi Michael, this is fascinating! I have registered just to reply to you, as I am seeing similar behavior. Did a full set of Sofa measurements VIA windows 10 laptop, at 48khz, this is all I am able to do in the Dirac app. Dirac is sending filters to my NAD T758 v3. Speakers are a 7.0.4 setup, no sub.

When I playback files from tidal, I see some baffling behaviour. In stereo, I have stable wonderful center image playing back 'cd quality' files. When I playback MQA files however, the image collapses to the left speaker. I will try to recreate this behaviour on various bit depth and sampling rate flac files via bluos later on. 

Interestingly, I previously had my system configured as 7.1.4, and did not have this problem. I am led to understand the NAD will do dirac on 2.0 audio at higher sampling rates, while anything above 2.0 (*including* 2.1 stereo) is internally resampled to 48khz. Thus I begin to think the problem lies somewhere in NADs implementation dirac when applying the filters at  >48khz  sampling rates.