IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

48 minutes ago, wgscott said:

That's excellent news.  Congratulations on the upcoming release.

Will the AU plug-in still work (or will a new one be distributed) by any chance?

Thanks, a new version of the Dirac plugins is expected as well, end of Q1... hopefully :)

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

23 hours ago, Tand said:

The same  for Amarra iRC customers?

That's for Sonic Studio to answer.

We have recently released an SDK (software developer kit) in order to support developers in embedding Dirac Live but it will require work nonetheless... it's their decison.

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

• 1 month later...

Here they have knowledge and hands on experience with current Dirac Live as clearly shown i.e. here:

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/av-nirvana-speaker-evaluation-event-tower-speakers-1200-or-less-results.1640/

Todd visited our booth at CES and updated his original article about the upcoming new version:

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/dirac-research-officially-launches-major-update-at-ces-2018.2128/

I think that the current version sounds pretty well already so that improving its listening results is an accomplishment:

"AV NIRVANA had an opportunity to sit down with Dirac’s Jakob Ågren at CES 2018 and review a prototype version of Dirac’s new software platform. The room’s demo system performed as one would expect, delivering a wider and more focused soundstage"

:)Flavio

• 2 months later...
On 24/3/2018 at 7:50 PM, Robert van Diggele said:

Flavio, what type of CPU would you recommend for use of Jriver with the 8 channel Dirac Live. I know the website says Pentium III or higher, but what would you recommend with 7th/8th gen Intel? Thanks.

As stated by Kal required processing power may skyrocket with additional other processing (up-sampling, downsampling, bass management, active crossovers, etc. ) but Dirac Live by itself is well designed and not power hungry.

Personally I've been able to use Dirac Live (Stereo version) with a humble Acer netbook (Atom CPU) with two mega of RAM.

I think that any current i3/5/7 Series Intel processor will work (not taking other processing loads into account), we always suggest to double check the set-up with the Trial anyhow.

:) Flavio

• 3 months later...

Hi TommyCat,

the location of plugins is listed in the "Overview of Dirac Live Processor" attachment.

Can't Audirvana find them here?

• Windows

Program Files/Common Files/VST2
Program Files/Common Files/VST3

• MacOS
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST

Flavio

Also please take into account that no login/validation is required for beta testers, the application works for something like two months, just proceed

Flavio

@ Michelangelo,

it looks like your trying to measure from within Audirvana.

Please try measuring by launching the DiracLiveProcessor by itself (it will invoke Dirac Live)

@TommyCat

we are replacing the previous 1.x beta plugins with the new beta ones so your license for those is not valid anymore.

Did you try the new ones?

6 minutes ago, TommyCat said:

Well that is nice to know and solves the mystery.

I will reinstall the new version.  Regarding the plugins, when I go to those location folders, I see the VST and Compenents folders but they are empty (in the older version you could see the actual plug in).  Should I be able to see them?

on another note, Will my filters work in the new version or do I require new measurements?

Hi TommyCat,

yes, if properly installed you should see the plugins...

and no, you should take new measurements because the algorithm has been improved.

The previous one individually measured the phase of each speaker, this new one does as well but it also analyzes speakers in pairs.

@michelangelo The new plugins should be located as mentioned above, there might be similar Dirac plugins created by the previous beta 1.x and those should'nt be used.

If the DiracLiveProcessor crashes when launched I suggest removing everything Dirac and reinstall,

if that does'nt help that seems to be a bug and should be reported as betatester, we'll try reproducing it on our side in order to fix it.

@astr0b0y I don't think that this beta supports loading of filters into a miniDSP DDRC-88.

By the way we have two other 2.0 betas for Dirac enabled NAD and Arcam AVRs, at the moment it's possible to apply for beta testing of those if interested.

31 minutes ago, Fredde said:

I got version 2 up and running on my Windows 10 computer with great support from Flavio. I tried Audio virtual cable and vst host but settled for now with Roon using JRiver 24 as the output device. I had one crash initially and lost my saved filters but the last 4 days everything is working fine.

Thanks Fredde, much appreciated :)

It's worth mentioning that not all players support standard AU or VST plugins, if not a virtual cable is required.

This is an example for Roon: http://diracdocs.com/Roon_&_Dirac_Live_2.0.pdf

2 hours ago, TommyCat said:

I appear to have successful installation!  I can see the plugins and looks like being picked up by A+. Now have to run a test measurement. I use the umik-1 mic and in the past had to load the mics calibration files; I saved the mic text file to my desktop before deleted the prior version of Dirac. Will loading these calibration files be a necessary step?

Loading the calibration file is not necessary for testing purposes but is required for a good quality calibration.

If they got lost you can download them again with your mic serial number here:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

I have to inform that we now have as many beta testers as our developers can follow so no new ones are added at the moment,

it's possible that we will be able to add more in the future though, if so I'll announce it here.

Thanks for your understanding, Flavio

Hi dziemian,

which information in Dirac's website are you referring to?

May be you can post a link?

I did'nt test a multichannel set-up but I heard that  twelve channels have been tested at 96 KHz but more could possibly be used (eventually at a lower sampling rate)

Hi Fitzcaraldo,

if you are using the previous 1.x beta with JRiver 24 64-bit you might try using the 64-bit plugin that is installed as well.

Thanks for your comments about instructions, we'll try to improve them... possibly even before the official release.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:30 PM, dziemian said:

Hi Flak, 

I dont understand your post. Full version of Dirac Live was limited to 8 channels. Does it mean that V2 Full version can operate with more channels than 8? Could you please let us know if there is a multichannel beta version as well? I cant directly compare the new beta stereo setup at the moment as I used to use mains with subwoofer in 2.1 configuration.

The link to Dirac Live Unicorn has already been given and I am still curious what it is.   

My understanding is that the current beta build is stereo only, 12 channels at 96 KHz have been tested for an AVR version.

The Unicorn vanished, that's what they always do :) 

The instructions that we have given to standalone Dirac Live 2.0 beta testers have been written thinking of professionals using DAWs.

Also the new version is completely different from 1.x so I've prepared the following document:

http://diracdocs.com/Dirac Live 2.0 beta testing.pdf

Please take into account that it is not intended for beta testers of the AVR versions.

19 hours ago, ronkuper said:

Same here...

(For 2.1 though not full MCH but still need Dirac MCH in order to correct the Sub channel)

Hi ronkuper,

the multichannel version  is not necessary for stereo playback,

the stereo version will adjust gain and delay of those frequencies that are reproduced by the subwofer if it's connected in a stereo set-up and measured as such.

• 1 month later...

Beta testers of standalone version received build 0.9.2 of Dirac Live (the calibration tool) while we now have beta 0.9.4 that has been distributed to Arcam beta testers but not to the standalone ones as we are waiting for a new version of the DiracLiveProcessor (the other necessary component)

Flavio