IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

• 3 months later...

Pentium III is old news and, imho, entirely inadequate today.  If you are doing multichannel, high-resolution, DiracLive and/or any other processing (up-sampling, downsampling, bass management, active crossovers, etc.), you will need at least a 7th generation i7.  I am running an i7-770K and it is adequate......................................so far.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

• 1 month later...

I spent some time talking with a Dirac representative at Munich HighEnd but, since I agreed to keep it off the record at his request, all I can say is that they have a well-considered strategic plan for a number of future developments.  Of course, I would love to tell you more and, indeed, I sure would love to get my hands on the new products now.

Kal Rubinson

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, ronkuper said:

Hi Kal :)

Are you referring to this - https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-dirac-integration-again/20433/57?u=ron_kuper ? 

If so then: 

1. I wouldn't call it easier

2. It doesn't allow to treat surround/stereo content differently, as required for correctness 

3. AFAIK it is not Linkwitz–Riley based, which I assume supposed to sound better to most

Not quite satisfactory IMO.

Yup.  Just as easy but with better interface.  Of course, I use it only for 5.1 (turn it or off as needed) and never use for stereo.

Kal Rubinson

6 hours ago, ronkuper said:

As Kal stated he is using it for 5.1 only and still need to manually enable/disable it when moving between content types. 

More like when moving from one mood to another.  Generally, it is off but some specific music choices motivate me to turn it on.  

Kal Rubinson

• 6 months later...

I was invited to a private meeting with Dirac at CES but, since I no longer go to CES, that never happened.  In my defense of our intrepid reporter, there are many rooms I ignore at shows because they are outside my range of interest and he has to make the same type of choice.

Kal Rubinson

7 hours ago, Youreye said:

Hi Kal! Sorry if this sounded like I would blame you or this community etc. I am just wondering how very little we know about this exciting new features and really no one is reporting on this. Maybe we will see again some interviews later but I would rather see something short  where they show the features, talk about the system the choices etc. Arcam has just (a week ago) released some step by step guidance about the Dirac setup how to.

Sorry for the tone of my retort.  For some reason, I thought I was reading/responding on Stereophile's website and responded as I would there.  When I realized my error, it was too late to edit it.

Anyway, there is discussion on AVS and on AV Nirvana.  My last direct contact with them was in Munich back in May.  

Kal Rubinson

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, flak said:

Users of standalone Dirac Live have been patiently waiting for a long time and I want to thank them.

I think it was worth it as I'm pleased to inform that the soon to be released testing version will be not only multichannel if desired but will also include the possibility of using a multichannel audiocard/DAC for advanced management of multiple subs of a stereo set-up with players like for example JRiver:

https://www.dirac.com/dirac-live-bass-management-beta-signup

The web-page refers to 2.3 and 2.4 setups but what about a 5.3 setup?

Kal Rubinson

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...