IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Youreye said:

It's like this product no one has ever seen and it's existence is highly hypothetical:) There is no video from the floor about VR noir Dirac Live with the new GUI from the whole CES 2018?! No demos, no interviews....just long waiting in the dark.

Check HomeTheaterHiFi.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/features/show-reports-film-festivals-concerts/ces-2018-show-report-day-1/

However the interviewer had little knowledge of Dirac so he didn't even know there was a version 2 so did not ask the right questions

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, ronkuper said:

Sometimes I wonder if I'm interpreting the essence of "computeraudiophile" wrongly or why other ppl here just forget about the "computer" stuff and so quick to bash computer guys?

Why would you want a computer audiophile evangelist to buy a high-end & locked down receiver for all those features we already get (mostly better) in flexible software? 

I doubt that Dirac will introduce lots of features, audiophile community is small, computer audiophile even smaller, and these who use room correction is a fraction (sadly)

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, wanta911 said:

Good to hear, I'll be interested in your more detailed thoughts once you've done enough listening. I use Dirac via a MiniDSP DDRC-22D so I think I might have a bit of a long wait before I get to use the 2nd Gen.

Well, I have an asymmetric listening space (main living room, balcony opening on one side, and open to kitchen space to another).

I used once previous Dirac for few months, but it was extremely unstable for me.

So, listening impressions:

The sound is now very centered and focused.

The depth of sound-stage is like I've added couple of meters behind the back wall.

Micro-dynamics improved: I hear to much greater detail the nuances of voice, it is like somebody whispers into your ear. Drums, guitar strings - sound today like WOW, instead of hearing before black/white now there are more 'grey' tones

Of course, bass is punchy and not boomy.

Everything is very clean, very "black" background

More important - the sound is VERY natural. That's why I love Dirac - in contrary to various other DIY tweaks like FabFilter

Just now, TommyCat said:

I did that too, made know difference.  Did you have a successful install?  If yes, were you able to pull in older projects and filters created in the past?

I am on Windows. But Uninstall does not remove everything, so I manually deleted from disk the folders left

Just now, shinyc said:

I am also trying the beta software out on a windows machine under ws2016 core mode with AO and dual pc, jplay config. Mine gets stuck when I push the "proceed to filter design" button. Maybe there is a network issue while Dirac trying to reach their license authentication server. It was working fine on 1.X of Dirac. Exact error message is "License Error". Dirac is looking into this matter but it is taking some time. BTW the same error occurs even without jplay (that is, bypassing jplay and using single PC config). The same is true after restoring all drivers (i.e. without AO). I guess it has  something to do with ws2016 core mode. 

You need to use stock Windows, 

1 hour ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

I have the 2.0 Beta, thanks to flak.  But, I am somewhat dissuaded from installing it due to comments here,  and particularly the apparent need to uninstall all previously working versions of Dirac, which I use regularly in Mch.  I am fearful of losing everything if the 2.0 Beta does not work properly in Mch.

I am also, for the first time, experimenting with JRiver 24 64-bit.  Previously, my standard daily config was JR 23 32-bit with an old beta version, apparently pre-64-bit, of an older Dirac VST plugin.  Loved the VST, but I don't seem to be able to get it to work with JR24/64.  

So, it seems prudent for me to hold off a bit until things settle down somewhat.  And, I know user documentation is not a high priority among developers in beta testing.  But, a little bit more than we have got might solve a lot of problems.  I am encoraged by the new feature set in Dirac 2.0, however.

What was the incentive to upgrade to V24?

Jim does not want to listen anything related to audio, there are no new features in V24 anyway.

..and V23 64-bit works perfectly with Dirac VST2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2018 at 7:40 PM, flak said:

The instructions that we have given to standalone Dirac Live 2.0 beta testers have been written thinking of professionals using DAWs.

Also the new version is completely different from 1.x so I've prepared the following document:

http://diracdocs.com/Dirac Live 2.0 beta testing.pdf

Please take into account that it is not intended for beta testers of the AVR versions.

:) Flavio

This virtual cable thing didn't work. Followed the instructions, seemed to work, but didn't hear ant sound.

Moreover, then I read the manual and understand that this virtual cable performs rate conversion, and abandoned the idea.

Is it possible to ressurect WDM, for these unfortunate using Roon and Tidal?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, milva said:

It is interesting when Dirac Research is mistaken for more than a year with the announced upgrade date of Dirac Live v2. I do not remember that with another company. I think the base of paying PC or Mac users is wider than NAD, Arcam, Emotiva, etc., and Dirac Research lets them wait so long.

Check Microsoft..

We're getting this (exciting) upgrade for free, and I believe the bulk of money comes from the OEM. The audiophile segment I believe is based on Dirac's enthusiasm, even though I paid 650 euros.

I would like to focus on what we will get - stable performance, support of high-rez rates, diagnostics. 

Will be nice to see the list of tasks that on Dirac's "plate"