IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

Thanks to Flavio, I've got DiracLiveStudioBeta2_v1_1_0 working well with Audirvana +trial.  I have an original AV license so will upgrade at the end of it.  I have used old Dirac Live filters and created one by loading an old project from Amarra/iRC - all this worked fine.  I've lowered the DSP gain by 6dB and the results are excellent sonically, I do get an occasional stop in playback when track hopping using the AV Remote but not often and not enough of a problem to spend much time trying to work out why.  I haven't yet tried to create a new project.  Will do that when I get an empty house and some time.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

That isn't quite what I said, they work and are producing better than no filter sonics.  The most successful (i.e. the one that sounds best to me) is without doubt the old project used to create another filter.  Is this surprising?  The measurements remain the same, presumably the new algorithms improve on optimisation.  Doing precise like for like comparisons with two engines running the same filter is not something I intend to attempt without cause because even getting the level identical would be problematic, let alone the faff in changing them over.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

Successfully created both chair and sofa filters this morning and slightly prefer the sofa but both were an improvement on having created one from a previous project.  I’m very impressed by the stability and user interface using it with AV+ as a plug in.  Bravo.

• 4 months later...
On 1/13/2019 at 8:12 AM, michael123 said:

For those who use Dirac 2.0: experienced something strange - it was actually very bad, and strange as I used for the lack of issues in this domain

First, I measured 'Sofa' setting, and got focus moved heavily to the left channel. Then I thought something with the measurements points, and measured 'Chair'. Same result - either left channel emphasized, or right - if I swap the measurements points

Real disaster! What went wrong?

Same microphone, same version produced fine results in other system

The difference is that I used 'DirectSound', could not use anything else, did not produce any sound. First used 96Khz, then repeated with 48KHz -- no change apparently

I'm testing the new Dirac Live Processor as plug in for Audirvana on a Mac with similar results to those you describe - a collapsed image to one side.  Underneath the obvious problem with image, there seems to be a good sound trying to get out.  I have managed to create a Sofa Focus project/filter after quite a lot of messing about.

First, the new look and layout is a big disappointment to me.  The original is clear and intuitive even if you don't read the notes.  This one is miles away from that.  Essential features are hidden and simple tasks unclear.  The colour combination doesn't help, nor do the annoying pop-up confirmation messages which quickly stack up and obscure the next actions.  The design is a total mess compared to the previous one.  A classic case of not needing to fix something that wasn't broken.

All that's needed here is to introduce the new measurement patterns and algorithms to the already excellent GUI.

I haven't uninstalled my Dirac Live Studio thank goodness.  Hope this helps Flavio, and if there is another feedback mechanism for details I'm happy to help.

• 2 months later...

I've been able to find some time to evaluate the latest alpha.

Testing Dirac Live VST / 2.2 Calibration

Mac Mini (mid 2011)

10.13.6 High Sierra

My reference is Dirac Live Studio 2 1_1_0 with Audirvana Plus.

Appreciate new colour options and test sizes - but 'Large' font size is still not very big, especially as a lot of music servers will be accessed using emulation or VNC.

Some screens are not quite as easily illustrative or intuitive as previous Dirac Studio that I'm using.  But all worked fine and without incident.

Sound Quality.

I made chair, sofa focus and sofa wide filters.  I use a Sofa filter for my system on the VST Studio version with AV+.

All of them perform as expected.  The chair is the most focussed, then the sofa focus and finally the sofa wide which has a more diffuse presentation.

There is a more natural sounding tonal balance over my previous version and the overall presentation seems more consistant across all three filters, with only the soundstage central focus changing.   I hear more subtle detail in recordings that is more apparent than when using my original Dirac, which sounds a little less sophisticated.  This version sounds more even across the FR, a tad more natural and forgiving of brighter recordings but without concealing anything.  That is how I would describe it in a nutshell.

Another impression is that the speakers seem better integrated together, an effect that makes the soundstage seem a bit more of a 'whole'. Difficult to explain but on switching back between versions it certainly improves my appreciation of image. My favourite is the Sofa 'focus' in my room, but the 'chair' is excellent too.

I'm impressed and if the useability could just be smartened up a bit I feel it makes a compelling proposition.  Good work.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the info here guys.  I use the VST plug in with AV+ and have been testing the first version as per my report up thread.  Mid 2011 Mac Mini OSX 10.13.6

I have installed the latest version after the second link provided by Flavio.  In my Apps folder I have a Dirac folder which contains a folder called Live which contains the Dirac Live files.  That all looks the same.

What I had to do though, was re-load my projects and create filters again to load into AV+.  The upgrade seemed to have cleared them.  I seem as if I can - if I go through AV+ preferences into the configuring of audio units - create new projects using Dirac.

Do I need to do new measurement projects to test the new beta version?  Or is the upgrade in the algorithms therefore loading existing measurement projects and creating filters is all I need to do.

One other thing, in the Apps folder I have a new looking Icon for DiracLiveProcessor which won't open, saying it needs a newer OSX.  That would need a new Mac Mini!

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks Flavio, this is a Windows-free zone I'm afraid.  I may get to upgrade the Mini soon but obviously as it works fine with the first Beta, I'm not in a hurry.  They are not cheap.  So is the second Beta changes/differences in the Project measurement and filter creation or playback of any filter?

Anyone know if the second Beta improvements are in the measurement, the filter calculation or the playback engine?

On 7/25/2019 at 7:25 PM, flak said:

Hi SteveS1,

I'm sorry but I have to confirm that the DiracLiveProcessor requires a newer Mac OSX, maybe you have access to a Windows 10 PC?

I weakened, helped by a good deal on a 2014 Mini.  Should be able to try Beta 2 next week.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 12:29 PM, milva said:

Hi Flavio

after your email I tried to set the microphone in Dirac Live, but in VOLUME CALIBRATION the microphone UMIK-1 is not active (not responding). In SELECT RECORDING DEVICE Dirac Live 2.2.3 is microphone UMIK-1 displayed and selected.

I use OSX 10.14.6, DiracProcessor 0.9.23 and Dirac Live 2.2.3 on MacMini 2014.

I have the same problem with the same MacMini/OSX version.  Using XTZ Mic.  It shows on the 'Select Audio Device' page complete with calibration file, but is not active and will not measure.  I won't duplicate the ticket if you have one in.  A real drag as I had some time to make new filters this morning.

1 hour ago, macuniverse said:

I gave up on MacOS and installed DL on a Windows PC. Everything worked first time.

OK thanks, I’m not touching Windows as I have no other need of it.  I shall raise a ticket.

On 8/10/2019 at 10:29 AM, SteveS1 said:

I have the same problem with the same MacMini/OSX version.  Using XTZ Mic.  It shows on the 'Select Audio Device' page complete with calibration file, but is not active and will not measure.  I won't duplicate the ticket if you have one in.  A real drag as I had some time to make new filters this morning.

This problem has been resolved with a further version, I've created a chair and Sofa SF filter and they both sound excellent.  I still have some reservations about the user interface, which imo is neither as intuitive or presentationally as good as the earlier Dirac iRC.   Also, with the wide range of loudness levels for CD rips, downloads or vinyl rips - the lack of an easy to use output level/clipping indicator is a major drawback compared to the early software.

But there is no doubt the sound quality is a major step forward.  I would like to understand more as whether the new measurement app, or changes to the Dirac Live processor are primarily resonsible, but there is definitely a more refined, smooth and spacious soundstage with plenty of clarity and precision.  More subtle details are revealed on material I know very well indeed.  At no point does additional detail seem 'highlighted' more a case of 'uncovered'.  I'm really looking forward to further listening later.  Bravo.

Some info on the clipping would be helpful.  I've tended to back off the vertical level indicator by about 6dB until I can see what's happening.

17 hours ago, flak said:

Hi SteveS1,

thanks for your kind comments about sound quality, I understand that a clipping indicator should be added as you requested in a future update.

Thank you Flavio, the iRC and Studio had not only a clipping indicator, but the ability to adjust and save the level for each filter.  That would remain a very valuable facility.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.  You can test this quite easily.  Load a saved project where you are already using a filter, ignore the warnings about missing microphone and process in the normal way send another filter to a new slot and give it a new name.  Check the adjustments for delay and gain (on the Audio Unit screen), they will be the same.  They will sound identical.  All bets are of course off if, when you load a saved project, you then adjust the target curve before producing a new filter.

• 1 month later...

I've raised a ticket but I'm getting "version too old" from my plug in to AV+ without warning and can no longer test.  Anyone know what's going on?

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately ever since installing the latest Dirac test versions my Audirvana just loads a blank DiracLiveProcessor screen, so I have no access to filters.  Opening DiracLiveProcessor brings up the correct screen so it must be there somewhere.  Does anyone know how to ensure Audirvana picks up the correct screen?

39 minutes ago, michelangelo said:

After the update, the filters must be recreated, then they are also present in Audirvana.

Should you have to?  If I open DLP on it's own, there is nothing wrong - see pics.  Besides I created two of the filters yesterday with the new software.  This looks more like a failure of Dirac to put the correct screen where AV takes it from.  The one AV loads is just called "audio unit" and doesn't even look remotely like the correct screen even aside from the filter section.

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 15.11.56.png

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 15.12.24.png

Thanks GE that's helpful, unfortunately on trying to load a previous project (even one created yesterday using this release) I get an error "The file <project name.liveproject> could not be loaded.  This is usually caused by lacking write priviledges or by file system errors."

So I can't create a new filter.  It's really frustrating, all this worked fine until recently.  Is there a way I can get AV to pick up the old screen with filters?  It still opens to that screen if I open DiracLiveProcessor alone.  So it must be there somewhere.

3 hours ago, SteveS1 said:

Thanks GE that's helpful, unfortunately on trying to load a previous project (even one created yesterday using this release) I get an error "The file <project name.liveproject> could not be loaded.  This is usually caused by lacking write priviledges or by file system errors."

So I can't create a new filter.  It's really frustrating, all this worked fine until recently.  Is there a way I can get AV to pick up the old screen with filters?  It still opens to that screen if I open DiracLiveProcessor alone.  So it must be there somewhere.

I've resolved enough to get the two filters loaded.  I painfully located everything I could find to do with Dirac - deleted everything bar the prevous projects and re-installed the latest Processor and Live versions.  This enabled me to load the two most recent projects and re-create a filter for each.  I can't however, reload older projects which is annoying, because one of those was a reference for me.  I will wait before I try to use a microphone again as I was having trouble getting the calibration file loaded.

I have finally got all things working that I need, but it was a bit of a faff and it leaves me questioning a couple of things.  Thanks to GE for putting me on the right track but this is what I found, some of which GE covered.

Before installing the latest Betas I recommend deleting all previous versions of Dirac Live and DLProcessor - this is painful if you have been through a few versions because they have managed to dot all kinds of places with Dirac related files, some of which are not obviously related.

Dirac Live now accepts the XTZ mic calibration file.  While creating filters I have had to play music through Audirvana at the same time for reasons I don't really understand.  You measure in the same way as before and each sweep interrupts the music.  The fliter creation and export works and so does saving the projects.

I can't comment on SQ directly - it's sounds great - but I have lost the ability to compare with previous filters because this version of Dirac Live App will not allow me to load projects made with even the most recent previous version.  The error you get is something along the lines of the measurement session not being recognised.  It would be very useful if there was a way to allow the previous measurement projects to load.  It's not as if they were made with different devices or software.

So to summerise, I now have to play music through Audirvana with Audio Units containing the DLP option to bring up the DLP screen and get sound through Dirac Live measuring app (to set mic volume and take the measurements).  Projects made with any beta edition of DL will not load in this one.  Hope this helps anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've used the latest version beta for a while.  Settled on a filter and been really enjoying the results.  Now that the output level is retained on re-opening AV and I've found the filters in the Mac directory (for deletion if necessary) it all works fine and without incident.  Great stuff, presumably it is now close to release.

Are there any more recent betas within the last couple of weeks?  This one shows just 15 days left.