IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

• 9 months later...

I'm on newest alpha processor and newest live.

Measurments do now wor,k but how do i save my filters permanently without to be able to login?

login with my dirac 1 multi log/pass does not work. Then live tells me without login

filters will maybe not saved.

Where is the save  path on win? is it possible to use the filters created on win  with macos by copying? (i suppose with login they are available online..yes)

dirac 1 filters are easy to use between win/macos via copy/paste.

thanks

MacBook Pro/ WS2019/AO /Roon & HAF - AudioPC ; Mutec mc-3+ usb - Yggdrasil - Ragnarok - Ecouton LQL 200 ; IMac/win10&AO Roon Core - ControlPC

• 2 weeks later...

I have now found a way to transfer the measurements from Win10 to Mojave without an account.  Works great...  I only have to copy the saved project and the wav file and then create the filter again.

To the sound:

Compared to Dirac 1.x the 2.x sounds better by classes.  Finally Dirac has the bass under control.

At 1.x I always had to lower the bass by 3-4 db.

With 2.x this is no longer necessary.

The bass now plays excellently, a bass line finally sings.  The stereo width has increased enormously.  Finally I can get 3 d out of my system.  The instruments all have their own space in the depth as well as in the stereo spectrum.

I was never able to achieve that with 1.x.

The resolution has increased sensationally in my system. 

The dynamics is now breathtaking.

Dirac 1.x can't compete in any way in sound quality.

I have compared both versions over and over again.

Dirac 2.x loosely plays two three leagues better.  I am very enthusiastic and would like to congratulate the developers for this sensational coup.

The measurements now also work without any problems with my Audient ID14 for the measuring microphone and the Yggdrasil for playing on both Win10 and Mojave.  A huge step forward.

My system is:

Imac Mojave / bootcamp - Win10 - Audirvana- Pro-Ject Stream Box - Yggdrasil - Ragnarok - Ecouton LQL200

👏👏👏👏👏👏

Merci

MacBook Pro/ WS2019/AO /Roon & HAF - AudioPC ; Mutec mc-3+ usb - Yggdrasil - Ragnarok - Ecouton LQL 200 ; IMac/win10&AO Roon Core - ControlPC

• 2 months later...

New beta has arrived...thanks...but:

on my macbook an old problem suddenly is up again. Dirac processor does not recognize the macbook mic input.

this essential for starting diraclive...in the end no measurements was possible, cause no input was found. With an external soundcard like the Audient id14 I have had no input either.

I haven't tested the input via the Audient id14 with the current beta yet, but I assume that it doesn't work like the macbook mic-input. i'm back to the previous processor beta...now i have mic input again.

I can confirm that the measurement over a host like reaper with processor as vst3 selected does work!

Does not work....thought the measurements will work...no

in Audirvana beta activated does not process.

Back to Dirac 1...

There's so much unclear in the software.
At Dirac 1 you could click on 44,1 48 88,2 96 ...192khz etc.
At the end everything could be played in Audirvana up to 192khz. I ha I only had to do one measurement.
Now with Dirac 2 there is obviously no more this dialogue.
I made a measurement with 44,1khz. In Audirvana
therefore only 44,1khz material is processed. Anything above this is not machined.
Do I have to make a new measurement for each sampling rate, or do we get the dialog back.
If I now make a measurement at 96khz, the 44.1 kHz will not be processed.
That was much better solved in Dirac 1.
or did I overlook something?

On 19. Juli 2019 at 7:10 PM, michael123 said:

You you need to downsample everything higher than 96Khz to 96Khz, rates lower stay the same - and pass it to Dirac processor

thanks...i thought that it should be that way....but...version 1.x so far is more clear in this aspect

because one measurement is responsible for sampling rates from 44,1 to 192khz.

This beta/alpha works only in the sampling rate selected in processor. 

This beta/alpha does not work with umik-1 on macbook pro retina...no way.... No mic signal at all.

version before works....did a successful measurement with that version.

Sounds pretty cool...although only 44.1khz worked.

Did a measurement dirac supposes, 9 points with math audio room eq...

sounds pretty nice and supports 44,1-192khz and works audible very convincing!

when will dirac offer a working version? announced more than a year ago...

We are are now on mojave/win10. Dirac 2.x does not work on mac and not on win10.

i understand that deals with mercedes Benz and other hardware cooperations

are way cooler and more efficient...so...lets be honest:

when we will see a working version?

• 1 month later...

Hi Flavio,

in latest 0.94 which sample rates are supported? 44,1 & 48 & 88,2 & 96 kHz? Or just the sample rate the measurement was done? Or just 96khz?

When do we can say hello to processor version which supports sample rates from 44,1 to 192khz?

Thanks

Since 0.93 we have gain control slider in the processor.

But, it seems the processor does not save a level control setting.

No function at all...or a saving bug?

Does not save in Audirvana and reaper.

When I choose in Audirvana real time control I see that gain control works...but the processor simply does no save the control setting without realtime control. 

looks like a bug. need save action for DLNA.

On 8/31/2019 at 3:10 PM, whoareyou said:

With JRiver VST it saves but the UI doesn't properly reflect the saved position.  So UI indicates volume is at 100%, but if you click on control when it's indicating 100%, the volume level increases even though per UI it is already at 100%

Inside Audirvana I think it does not save the setting. I did lower the gain volume inside processor -20, saved and closed the audio-unit window and started playback. Stopped playback open processor: gain shows 0db, checked the slider to -20db and then to 0db and saved,  started playback...no volume level differences. So I think inside audirvana the gain volume is not saved.

In Reaper my main DAW, the gain setting is not saved either.

A fundamental question: if I call up a stored project in diraclive.
The sound card, measuring microphone including cal used for the measurement are not connected to the macbook...so diraclive complains:
no ...no calibration file etc.

Now I create a new filter. Are the corrections of the file calibration still included in it? 
Are all relevant data stored in the project? Or do I need to reconnect all devices and then create a filter?

On 9/2/2019 at 5:05 PM, SteveS1 said:

Yes.  You can test this quite easily.  Load a saved project where you are already using a filter, ignore the warnings about missing microphone and process in the normal way send another filter to a new slot and give it a new name.  Check the adjustments for delay and gain (on the Audio Unit screen), they will be the same.  They will sound identical.  All bets are of course off if, when you load a saved project, you then adjust the target curve before producing a new filter.

That makes sense...thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 3:01 PM, sound_cycle said:

Did that.

Switched back to v1, but there is no going back, really. Staging and bass esp. are much better in v2.

GR

Dito...find 2.x much more realistic regarding low end rendering. With 1.x I have had hard times to fix that "too much bass" in the filters.

With 1.x filter I usually went -1 --2db in the low end.

2.x is way more realistic regarding low end rendering.

Besides: I found something interesting:

Compared to mathaudio RoomEQ I always found that music in Audirvana/Mac always distorted a little or very much by Dirac 2.x.
Interestingly, the audio unit beta of 1.x does the same distortion, although not as big..
If a piece was distorted I always loaded mathaudio RoomEQ into Audirvana and noticed that nothing was distorted here.

To deepen the story I opened Reaper (a DAW) and loaded a contemporary compressed track,  into the master I've inserted Dirac Live, Dirac processor and mathaudio RoomEQ as vst or audio-unit. I always play a loop of a region.

All three plugins are bypassed at the beginning and therefore Reaper will level out a maximum of 0db at the loop.

mathaudio RoomEQ stays at 0db. Here nothing goes into the range above 0db and therefore there are no distortions to be heard.

With Dirac 1.x it distorts, Reaper levels out +3.4 db at the beginning of the region. Something is wrong. That's probably the reason why Audirvana always has distortions.

Also the dirac 2.x with processor 0.94 causes distortions in the loop of the region. Reaper even shows me +4.8 db with a target filter. No wonder that in Audirvana it is distorted like crazy.

Now I'm in Dirac live 2.x again and created a new filter of a project, but I changed the filter in its entirety over -5db down in volume.

When I load this filter into processor 0.94 in the Reaper Project, Reaper now shows me no distortion at all. Reaper levels a maximum of 0db left and right.
This filter is now loaded into Audirvana and now the distortions within Audirvana with dirac2.x processor 0.94 are a thing of the past.

No distortions anymore.

Depending on the music material it seems that obviously the vst/au plugins of 1.x and the processor 0.94 of Dirac 2.x are distorting the audio between +0db to +5db when using a typical target curve for a filter.

The measurements were made in Dirac 1.x with the RME Babyface pro and the Audient id14.  The measurement microphones Beyerdynamic MM1 and Umik-1 were used for the measurements.
In Dirac 2.x the measurements were made with the Beyerdynamic MM1/ Umik-1 and the Audient id14.

Since replay-gain was almost always activated in Audirvana, noticeable distortion was much less common.
Since I have deactivated replay-gain in the last weeks, since then the distortions became an issue.

Finally I suspect that in the processor of diraclive 2.x as well in the vst/au beta of Dirac 1.x
a technique like limiting or normalizing to prevent distortion is missing.

Vid that shows my observations

Have similar observations already been made?

• 9 months later...

Latest Dirac live & latest Processor:

It's hard to believe that a software that is supposed to cost 350€, has a professional claim, is not able to find standard audio outputs.
I recommend the developers to install Reaper in parallel...then you will see how it works.

Reaper finds my Yggdrasil DAC as well as the UMIK-1 without problems, on both systems, win10 pro and catalina...and is ready for operation.

Dirac Live fails...does not find ANY audio outputs or even the UMIK-1 on both systems: No devices found

Do your homework first, before you waste my time, learn how to properly connect audio inputs and outputs.

I'm out for good now. This is silly people. Good bye Dirac