IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, flak said:

Low frequencies are not directional and subs can be connected, measured and corrected as if they were one.
Dirac Live will correct those low frequencies that are output by the subs so that they are aligned with the main speakers.

For an ideal correction there were some issues that had to be solved though.. often subs are not located in the same position of the main speakers and the distance from the main listening point is different.
Now it happens that crossovers are not brickwalls so that frequencies in the crossovering region are output by both the sub and the main speaker because they overlap.
As a result the same frequency will reach the main listening point with different delays and phase from those two sources (this can cause phase cancellation at some frequencies)
Consequently the algorithm has to choose a compromise unless an individual channel is available for each sub (one or more), the Dirac Live Bass management solution provides that and optimizes the interaction between the sub/s and the main speakers in the crossovering region.

Furthermore when more than one sub is used the application will optimize the response of each sub by individually calibrating them but their combined response would be affected by their respective interferences.
The above can be fully corrected if Dirac Live will have control of each subwoofer with an individual channel as possible with the Bass Management solution, Dirac Live will then also optimize the interaction among multiple subs.
As mentioned above this requires additional channels, for example a four channel audiocard or a multichannel DAC for a state of the art Stereo setup using standalone Dirac Live (this is an example: https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dac8) or one or more channels when using a Dirac enabled AVR/audio component.

Worth noting that this allows positioning the subwoofer/s anywhere in the room without sacrificing performance.

:) Flavio

Thanks!

And if I have 4 subs, these each sub be able to be individually optimized by Dirac Live?

Or will Dirac Live be limited to 2 subs?

2 minutes ago, flak said:

Yes asdf1000,

it will optimize four subs provided that one has enough available channels, that's the reason why I mentioned the U-DAC8

In the case of U-DAC8, do you only need one of it's analogue output channels to go to each individual sub?

So just need to use LFE input of sub?

4 minutes ago, flak said:

If we are discussing a Stereo setup with four subwoofers it will use six of the eight channels of an U-DAC8.. worth noting that Dirac Live will apply the crossovering

Thanks! This is the update I've been waiting for! Goodbye bass 'dead spots' 😁

Is it true that Dirac Live will be able to measure and then create (export) convolution filter files, for importing into other programs, like HQPlayer or Roon?

• 8 months later...
54 minutes ago, alandbush said:

If not then you will also require the Dirac Live Processor for Mac (v1.2.5)

Thanks. 

I don't have any Dirac Live enabled hardware. 

I was hoping to just have my Mac running Dirac Live for Mac and connected to USB DAC..

Is Dirac Live Processor for Mac free? I assume not, so where exactly do I buy it? I can't find anywhere.

Also, I thought Dirac Live (including for Mac) was up to v2 now?

8 hours ago, SavantGarde said:

Yes, the Dirac website looks nice, but it's next to impossible to find what you're looking for there.

Thanks for all this info! And glad to read I'm not the only one that struggled with how to buy it.

Actually buying the pro license is easy. The home one was hard to find.

Everything else with setting up I was ok with (hopefully - I'll found out soon) but just that first step was a head scratcher cc @flak

Thanks again, this helps with getting started.

• 4 weeks later...