IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

All DRC software companies should learn from video calibration companies. All three major one like  Chromapure, Calman and Lightspace are developing their products and updating constantly. Every couple if months there is sth new. In DRC only Audiolense is introducing new features.  It looks like Dirac has only change the way it works without any new features. And for any update we needed to wait years.  Acourate's only update in years was to change on their website the realease date of the latest 1.9.8 version from 2016 to 2018 so it seems fresh new. All these products are excellent but at least one of them could introduce managing many multisubs as one channel in a proper way aka multisub optimizer. Dirac needs finally a crossover feature for blending subs and mains.

Macmini/ Jriver MC26 - Audiofire 12 - MSB-MVC-1 volume control - Cinepro 2k6 amp - Geddes Abbey speakers plus 4 x 10" Aurasound subs

Because of lack if certain features I need to use full dirac version with minidsp (crossovers and channel matrix) plus jriver (bass management downstream) and multisub optimizer software for my 4 subs. So yes, dirac lacks some features, and some if them are basic. For the same reason I am looking for a software which can do this all and I dont think I demand too much. Audio technology in DSP, especially in DRC is changing  and hardware and software must adapt to it. I have a feeling that hardware and proxessing power is a head of drc software these days.

Macmini/ Jriver MC26 - Audiofire 12 - MSB-MVC-1 volume control - Cinepro 2k6 amp - Geddes Abbey speakers plus 4 x 10" Aurasound subs

Luckily guys at video software dont ask these question. They listen to clients and add necessary features. And this world is much more demanding with rapid change from hd to uhd, hdr, new projectors, tv, color spaces etc etc. In audio we dont see that much progress and idea of multisubs come from harman/jbl/ ravel development departament, a major player here. By basic I mean crossover capability and bass management. Maybe you dont need these features but there is a vast group of people who would appreciate them.

I am waiting for a new version and if I dont like I will switch to other software. Simple as that. I am not a banker or have not robbed the bank to buy a Datasat unit. Funny that you guys are happy as it is. So why do you care at all about a new version. The recent one works.

Thats a good point. I used to use Deqx (hardware only), then I switched for Dirac Live pc (dsp)/ jriver (bass mgt) plus minidsp (crossovers) and in the end I would like to have a software only solution plus studio interface. Am I asking too much?

35 minutes ago, ronkuper said:

Sometimes I wonder if I'm interpreting the essence of "computeraudiophile" wrongly or why other ppl here just forget about the "computer" stuff and so quick to bash computer guys?

Why would you want a computer audiophile evangelist to buy a high-end & locked down receiver for all those features we already get (mostly better) in flexible software? 

I dont mind paying extra for features I need. I dont mind paying frequently for updates as a lot of us do with Jriver if they are resonably priced. You can stick to the old version if you like it and never update, your choice. Every software is being developed because people are asking for new features. Otherwise there would be a status quo. I am not forcing Dirac or other software to implement those. The first company which does that will get my money and free promo. 

• 3 weeks later...

I installed v2 yesterday. Window 10 pro, Jriver mc24 with vst plugin. Initially I had trouble with recognizing Umik-1 mic but it appeared that the problem was with Windows itself (privacy setting). The interface is nice, measurements quick and easy, vst plugin's installation automatic. I made two sets of measurements (focused and wide) but the sound is far from pleasing. When I switch it on and off there is a liitle diffrence between them. With v1 version the diffrence was obvious so I guess there is something wrong with the setup. I was alo using V1 Dirac Full multichannel in 2.1 setup while the beta download link I have received is stereo only. Is there a beta multichanel version?

A question to Flak. There is an information on Dirac's website about upcoming Dirac Live Unicorn. What is it? Is it V2 with the new name or sth new?

1 hour ago, flak said:

Hi dziemian,

which information in Dirac's website are you referring to?

May be you can post a link?

I did'nt test a multichannel set-up but I heard that  twelve channels have been tested at 96 KHz but more could possibly be used (eventually at a lower sampling rate)

Hi Flak, 

I dont understand your post. Full version of Dirac Live was limited to 8 channels. Does it mean that V2 Full version can operate with more channels than 8? Could you please let us know if there is a multichannel beta version as well? I cant directly compare the new beta stereo setup at the moment as I used to use mains with subwoofer in 2.1 configuration.

The link to Dirac Live Unicorn has already been given and I am still curious what it is.   

• 1 month later...

When I installed the beta in a form of jriver plugin it sounded significally worse than the non-compressed sound or the old version I remembered.  I tried to measure twice and finally turned it off as I could not listen to it. Previously the processed sound was clearly better than non-processed one and I loved Dirac.  I dont want to compare more as I am in a process of changing speakers and I need a multichannel version. I will try to make some more  tests once I set up new speakers. I will also try Audiolense this time.

That may explain the unpleasant sound as my jriver' output is set to change all sampling to 96khz and if  I remember right I measured at 48khz as there was no other option. If this is an issue, changing all sampling to 48khz should work, shouldn't it?

PS. Is there a chance for multichannel beta soon so we can measure  subs too?

I am suprised that your old filters worked in new version and you liked the sound. There is a new algorithm in beta, therefore old filters should sound diffrent but not necessary in a proper way. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi. You need to install Diral Live and Dirac Live processor of your choice (32bit/ 64 bit) first. When processor is being installed you will find DL plugin in C://Program files/Common files/ VST2 or VST3. Next step is to install VST plugin within Foobar. Here is the process:

https://windowsreport.com/install-foobar-vst-plugin/

When you install DL VST plugin in Foobar you can start Dirac Live application and it should accept VST plugin as Device. Then you can continue your measurements. Before you do that remember to login to DL with your data.

Here is the detailed process from DL website.

https://live.dirac.com/processor-step-by-step/