IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

I have installed the beta plugins for the Mac and have not had any success. The plugins themselves are supposed to be automatically installed in the library>audio>plugin folders and they are not.

worse, my original beta version asked me to sign in when opened up A+ and it is telling me I do not have a valid license (worked fine on Thursday).

I am now without Dirac. A mess really. Had an email in and hope to hear back soon. 

I still have the install issue but I am starting to think that previous projects and filters may not work with the update b/c there has been a change in the algorithms (“improved”). Has anybody read that the update requires fresh measurements? (I.e can’t use the old stuff). Still a mystery as to how to get the plugins to show up in the correct location.  in V1 I had a set of instructions to manually put the plug ins in the correct folders. I do not see a way to do that now.  I will just have to wait until I hear back from Dirac. 

1 hour ago, flak said:

Also please take into account that no login/validation is required for beta testers, the application works for something like two months, just proceed

Flavio

Flavio, this issue has nothing to due with the new version; In the version I have used for over two years, I am now being asked for my username and password in a window that appears inside the Dirac processor box that pops up when you start playing music in A+.  I am using the email and password for the Dirac online site and it doesn’t work; telling me invalid. 

2 minutes ago, flak said:

@ Michelangelo,

it looks like your trying to measure from within Audirvana.

Please try measuring by launching the DiracLiveProcessor by itself (it will invoke Dirac Live)

@TommyCat

we are replacing the previous 1.x beta plugins with the new beta ones so your license for those is not valid anymore.

Did you try the new ones?

:) Flavio

Well that is nice to know and solves the mystery.

I will reinstall the new version.  Regarding the plugins, when I go to those location folders, I see the VST and Compenents folders but they are empty (in the older version you could see the actual plug in).  Should I be able to see them?

on another note, Will my filters work in the new version or do I require new measurements?

2 minutes ago, flak said:

Hi TommyCat,

yes, if properly installed you should see the plugins...

and no, you should take new measurements because the algorithm has been improved.

The previous one individually measured the phase of each stereo speaker, this new version does as well but it also analyzes speakers in pairs.

Ok, I will first uninstall everything associated with original version and then install the new; will keep you posted

I appear to have successful installation!  I can see the plugins and looks like being picked up by A+. Now have to run a test measurement. I use the umik-1 mic and in the past had to load the mics calibration files; I saved the mic text file to my desktop before deleted the prior version of Dirac. Will loading these calibration files be a necessary step?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting around to doing a measurement (umik-1 mic, Mac, Audirvana).  Getting a message “File not a valid calibration file” when try to load the .txt document that contains the mic calibration file.  Seems to be a different message than others have been discussing.  Sort of stuck at this point (however, looks like I could move forward if don’t use the calibration file but would prefer not to do that)

4 minutes ago, Carl Kesselman said:

I have managed to get this to work after editing out the high frequency points.

I now have a chain working on the Mac using Roon/Loopback/Reaper.  Its a bit tricky as it appears that loopback doesn't handle exclusive mode properly, but it seems ok. 

From a usability perspective, it seems that this plugin only version is going to be more complicated if one wants system wide application of Dirac or if your playback application doesn't support plugins (like Roon currently)

Hmn, Audirvana supports the plug-ins and only using Dirac for stereo/music listening.  This was not an issue in the prior plug-in version.  Something seems amiss.

4 minutes ago, Carl Kesselman said:

I have managed to get this to work after editing out the high frequency points.

I now have a chain working on the Mac using Roon/Loopback/Reaper.  Its a bit tricky as it appears that loopback doesn't handle exclusive mode properly, but it seems ok. 

From a usability perspective, it seems that this plugin only version is going to be more complicated if one wants system wide application of Dirac or if your playback application doesn't support plugins (like Roon currently)

Hmn, Audirvana supports the plug-ins and only using Dirac for stereo/music listening.  This was not an issue in the prior plug-in version.  Something seems amiss.

Ok found success in making measurements and uploading the calibration file for the Umik-1 mic.  Fist, would like tho thank Flavio for his amazing support (as always). I redownloaded the mic calibration file from the minidsp website.  The new download uploaded nicely into the Firac Live Processor.

I was unable to run the measurements inside of Audirvana.  I opened the Processor as Standalone and worked perfect.  Have not played with the filters yet but the measurement process was I nice improvement over the previous version(s)

Ok, this program is becoming like golf. You think you have it and then frustration!  I have successfully created a measurement/“project”.  I created a couple of filters in addition to the base filter Dirac gives you.  When I open the Dirac Professor and open my project, it shows the two filters I created on the left.  However, when I select either of those filters, nothing changes - it is only showing the Dirac base filter.  I would like to see the shape of the filter I previously created.  Clearly I must be doing something wrong.

in addition, how do you delete a filter previously created.  Prior version on a Mac was Libray>Appliction Support>Dirac>Filters.  From here you could delete. I am not finding this on the new version.

Greatly appreciate guidance on these issues!

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, dziemian said:

When I installed the beta in a form of jriver plugin it sounded significally worse than the non-compressed sound or the old version I remembered.  I tried to measure twice and finally turned it off as I could not listen to it. Previously the processed sound was clearly better than non-processed one and I loved Dirac.  I dont want to compare more as I am in a process of changing speakers and I need a multichannel version. I will try to make some more  tests once I set up new speakers. I will also try Audiolense this time.

Interesting, I am using the new plugin for Audirvana and have had a similar listening experience; just can’t seem to get the sound as good as the previous version; maybe I’m just very used to the old sound and this is different.  The measurement for the low-end frequencies was very different than the previous version (nothing changed in my system). Despite various target curves I have drawn finding the bass a bit more muddy (less tight). New version also does not have a volume slider in the processor to reduce potential for digital clipping; possible getting more distortion.  Very much looking forward to the completed version 2 of the Dirac - plugin. 

53 minutes ago, michael123 said:

And I like the new version much more. Previous had clipping issues, and I needed to use digital volume to reduce the signal.

The measurement procedure is completely different now, maybe you can play with the mike settings to change the sound

Ah, so you are thinking the new version does not need the slider for clipping issues. I was under the impression the beta version did not have it added yet. Would be very nice if not needed at all. 

14 hours ago, michelangelo said:

Hi Flac,

Can you estimate when there will be a new beta version?
I do not necessarily want to go back to DiracLive v.1.

14 hours ago, flak said:

Hi Michelangelo, dziemian and TommyCat

we are not prolonging Michelangelo's beta version because the current beta build has flaws that will give bad results for anything except 48k.

Also, care must be taken during calibration to make sure that is also 48k.

That's why I think that dziemian and TommyCat findings are correct.

Flavio

Well, this explains why if you click on “audio settings” when the processor is first opened, and then selecting a higher sample rate (I.e 96khz) you cannot open your project (s). You get an error message.  Also, I am not sure we can go back to V1 b/c mine, all of a sudden, became disabled because “no longer supported”.  Thanks to Flavio, I found out about version 2.  Hopefully this can all be resolved in fairly short order.  Flavio, thank you very much for highlighting the 48 kHz ‘only” issue.  Explains a lot and now don’t feel like I am going nuts!

3 hours ago, flak said:

Hi TommyCat,

while waiting if you want to keep using the beta plugins for the 1.x version send me a PM with your email.

I think I can live with this as long as we are not talking “months” before fixed. Will have everything knocked down to 48khz for the time being. Also, I think my trial for version 2 is going to expire soon. Will it actually expire or can this be ignored?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, flak said:

Sorry, I don't know... development for AVRs has been prioritized as we have Arcam, AudioControl, Lexicon and NAD for both PC and Mac in concurrent beta testing.

Thanks Flavio, I think will just hold off until completed. I am so anal about the measurement process I would like to avoid  a session just for 48khz and then have to redo later.  Thx for keeping us posted. Glad to hear other bugs/issues in V2 were addressed. 

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, JezQ said:

Sorry if this is a naive question. Is it possible to get the Calibration tool 2 and use it with the old live processor? I have no interest in a plugin, I want Windows wide room correction not just for one device or media player. Thanks.
ps. Happy anniversay on the original post :)

Don’t believe so; different algos. 

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Brucemck2 said:

Any visibility into which AV processors are likely to incorporate Second Generation Dirac Live?  Emotiva, NAD and Arcam both offer first generation. 

Good question. Also hoping to see other companies scrap Audyssey for Dirac (I.e Marantz); keeping fingers crossed