IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

On 7/20/2019 at 3:05 AM, DSD256 said:

Do I have to make a new measurement for each sampling rate, or do we get the dialog back.

It's not clear to me how this process works.

Never gone through this process before so not sure how DL2 (Dirac Live 2) would handle different sample rates between 44.1 and 96KHz. 

If we're taking different measurements at different sample rates, does DL2 auto select correct filters in a single VST/AU unit? Or, do we have to switch to a different VST/AU unit based on current track/album's sample rate manually?

I can handle down-sampling (>96KHz) source material in Audirvana so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

What's the latest 2.0 DL (Dirac Live) alpha/beta? I have 0.9.23 installed on my Macbook Pro running MacOS 10.14.6.

I'm using the standalone version. My input to DL 2.0 is UMIK-1. When I run DiracLiveProcessor and click on "Audio Settings" I only see output selection field.  Input selection (UMIK-1) field is missing. Can I assume that UMIK-1 already selected? MacOS sees UMIK-1 in Audio Midi setup (fix to 48KHz).

I select "Create New Filter" tab and click on "Measure" it opens a file selection dialog box. I have no idea what it's looking for as there is no message to guide the user. 

I'm stuck and any assistance appreciated.

3 hours ago, the.dude said:

I had similar issue. I just removed 0.9.23 from my 2011 MBP updated to Mojave via Dosdudes’s patch method. Rebooted and installed Processor ver 0.9.11 and I could select the UMIK1. 

Hope this works for you too. 

However in the next step once I click measure- DL 2.2.3 opens and throws an error “selected mic is disconnected” and crashes. Read in upthread that privacy settings might be blocking DL from accessing UMIK. Will fix that setting and report back. 

Thanks for the reply. I have logged a report with Dirac. See what comes out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 5:48 PM, SteveS1 said:

This problem has been resolved with a further version, I've created a chair and Sofa SF filter and they both sound excellent.  I still have some reservations about the user interface, which imo is neither as intuitive or presentationally as good as the earlier Dirac iRC.   Also, with the wide range of loudness levels for CD rips, downloads or vinyl rips - the lack of an easy to use output level/clipping indicator is a major drawback compared to the early software.

But there is no doubt the sound quality is a major step forward.  I would like to understand more as whether the new measurement app, or changes to the Dirac Live processor are primarily resonsible, but there is definitely a more refined, smooth and spacious soundstage with plenty of clarity and precision.  More subtle details are revealed on material I know very well indeed.  At no point does additional detail seem 'highlighted' more a case of 'uncovered'.  I'm really looking forward to further listening later.  Bravo.

Some info on the clipping would be helpful.  I've tended to back off the vertical level indicator by about 6dB until I can see what's happening.

I agree, the audio quality is top-notch! Very balanced, everything is in focus.

For the UI (user interface), I found it excellent in terms of workflow and usability. It's logical, follows the natural steps you normally take. Screens are informative.

There are some key functionality still missing from the UI such as entering numbers into target curve nodes rather than trying to get it right with mouse trial and error (unless I missed it). I would imagine the full version will address these missing parts.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, DSD256 said:

Have similar observations already been made?

Yes, I have played the same track with Audirvana and JRiver. JRiver has the option to monitor clipping. It shows some clipping with DL2 VST engaged.

My trial&error solution is to follow the speakers' natural room response as much as possible and use mostly cut filters.

I think this is, sort of, related to the overall volume/clipping issue discussed above posts. I need some guidance here with the shaping of the target curve.

I'm starting with Dirac default target curve. Before customising the target curve I wish to reduce the overall dB. Rather than manually doing it I was expecting some sort of vertical slider (similar to VST filter overall volume slider) available for this purpose. I have also played with some mouse click+keyboard mod keys and drag with no joy.

Is this possible?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 2:14 AM, flak said:

we now have a new version of the DiracLiveProcessor that you might check for the headroom adjustment.

I have made a new set of measurements with the new version today and I'm getting around 4.5dB clipping. My host/controller app is Audirvana 3.5x on Macbook Pro sending to (uPnP) MicroRendu client.

The issue is, even when I reduce the DL2 plugin headroom by 5dB, it does not stick. It reverts back to 0dB when Audirvana is started again. Not sure if this is Audirvana or DL2 plugin issue.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, GoldenEar said:

The new installer only installs the VST and other modules in /Library/Audio. However, the filters are stored in a different place than the previous versions.

Here's how to make it work:

- launch Audirvana, play any song and you obtain the empty plugin window

- launch Dirac Live 2.3

- load a previous project

- create the filter again in the last step and store it in a slot of the new plugin

- stop playback in Audirvana and restart playback, the plugin will reload and show the new filter

- activate the new filter

- enjoy

😀

I did follow the same process yesterday and created new filters based on old project measurements. Now I can see the plugin slots in Audirvana but I cannot pick and activate any of them.

This is now beyond beta testing and I've stopped until these issues are resolved.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, flak said:

Maybe the plugin was an incomplete beta?

(we had several issues during beta testing that have been subsequently fixed)

What's the latest beta?

I've tried beta .37 and it did crash both Audirvana and JRiver. Before it used to work with the exception of holding attenuation setting (was clipping). Now cannot go pass the first screen in DL2 after recognising DL2 Processor plugin in the players. I use sampling rate of 48KHz with UMIK-1.

My setup: Macbook Pro (mid 2014), MacOS: 10.14.6 . Audio Out: Toslink from Macbook,  DAC: Chord Qutest

I'm also having issues with my license. I get the following message when I click the "Dirac Live Processor" icon in the Dirac Live app

"You are missing the correct license ..." See below.

Actually, I login with the same account that I bought the license. After login I can check the license info and it's there and correct.

Looking forward to a solution so that I can try the latest and greatest. Thanks.

PS. I already created a ticket last Friday but no reply so far.

781369584_ScreenShot2019-12-17at00_40_21.thumb.jpg.9ef1b0868def0b37aba3c037dfb80a27.jpg

Follow up from my previous post in case it helps someone else in future. 

After couple of  login/logouts (to overcome licensing issues) I finally managed to complete a chair setup measurement; @Alain13, thanks again for the tip. I also successfully created my first two filters.

Filters work as intended locally; i.e., PC connected to the audio system directly through USB DAC. I can select, enable/disable filters, change the gain provided I enable "Realtime Control" under "Audio Units" option of Audirvana player. Otherwise DLP2 (Dirac Live Processor 2) gain slider works (attenuate volume by -13dB) but the filter enable/disable switch is greyed out and looks like set to "disable" state (see the picture below). There is no way I can enable/select them.

However, the real issue, when I stream audio to a DLNA/UPnP renderer (MicroRendu in this case) from Audirvana over the LAN DLP2 is always greyed out. This defeats the purpose of using this plugin for me as my main audio transport is MicroRendu DLNA renderer over the local network. I did not test this under JRiver as it doesn't support any DSP over DLNA.

As it stands, it's unusable for me. Hopefully I get a quick answer from Dirac people as my setup is pretty standard and they should be able to test it easily.

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 18.48.42.jpg

1 minute ago, Kal Rubinson said:

That's not true.  You just have to access the DSP differently.

If I remember correctly the official response from JRiver people was "Not supported".

I understand you are referring to Options --> Media Network --> ... Advanced --> DSP Studio? I would appreciate if you have any pointers to how this can be setup properly; maybe I'm doing something wrong.

When I try to select DL2 filters with DSP Studio while audio playing to a DLNA renderer I get the message below from JRiver.

I actually tried it before anyway. Gain slider in the DL2 plugin works (I can turn the volume down to test) but the filters are still greyed out, not selectable. This is before selecting DLNA renderer as the active zone and playing to it. Additionally, DL2 plugin crashes JRiver in the process if I try to change things.

My version of JRiver is 24. Not sure if this works differently on v25/26.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 02.18.26.jpg

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, michelangelo said:

also when playing the music by UPNP.

I already reported this issue to Dirac few months back.

I was a beta tester of DL2 and early versions supported DLNA/uPnP playback but they dropped it with the official release. I suspect switching from stand-alone Dirac Processor to VST-embedded one caused the issue but I'm not sure.

I also had an issue with DL2 needing latest MacOS as my transport (Macmini 2011) does not support Catalina. Again, not sure why Dirac needs to have the latest MacOS. My all other audio apps and plugins work fine with previous OS versions.