IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

A quick ? for a newbie/about to be Dirac Live user.   I have just purchased a 2nd hand Minidsp DDRC 22D that has DL Ver 1 installed.    I have an Imac that has El Capitan OS, so from my research it will run the DL Ver 1 software.    Sadly the Imac is too old and can't load the Mojave OS to run DL Ver 2.0.  Not to worry I will play with Ver 1.0 until I get up to speed.

I can't seem to find the DL Ver 1 download anywhere to install on the Imac.   Has Dirac removed it completely in favour of Ver 2.0 or am I just having a 'Man look' and missing the download link.

Any thoughts.

New thoughts - reviewing my research -  I have signed on to Dirac Live but have yet to transfer the Minidsp 22D license over to me.     I can't fully access Dirac at this time without the License.     Will I be able to locate the Ver 1 download within the Dirac Website once I have the 22D license and everything is good to go?

Regards Cazzesman

I got this reply from Dirac Support......

Hello,

miniDSP is now using the standard version of Dirac Live 2.x that is downloadable from our site while it previously used a dedicated implementation of Dirac Live 1.x.
For a download link and license activation details you can contact miniDSP itself from here:
https://support.minidsp.com/support/tickets/new

Thanks and best regards

So looks like problem solved.    Minidsp have told me previously, once I contact them with my personal details and the details of the 2nd hand Unit they reassign the 22D license to me.   The Dirac website will recognise it and the software will work once I insert the License details from Minidsp.     Fingers crossed.

Regards Cazzesman

• 1 month later...

After some advice please folks.

Spent 1 hr today trying to get DL 2.0 working.   I have a minidsp 22D that is working fine with DL1.0.    I recently got a new Dell Laptop with W10 so thought I would run DL 2.0    My system runs from Lagoon mini PC via usb to Mutec via AES to 22D via AES to Kii 3 speakers.   I run 22d vol at max and use the Kii 3 controller to control overall Vol levels.

I have the DL 2.0 manual with me and W10 is set up correctly as per the Manual.   My 22d vol is set to 100% (tried it at about 80% as well)  and I raise the pink noise via the Kii 3 controller vol.

I have the minidsp 22D patch on my W10 Laptop.   Installed DL 2.0 software as well.   Created DL login.

Plugged in the cable to the laptop/22D & Umik1/Laptop.

Started 22D minidsp patch.   All connected fine.   Hit the Start DL button on the4 patch.   Attunuation in the Patch set to -10 as advised.   Master Vol set to -31.5       No probs, DL started and recognised 22D immediately.    Loaded Umik1 files.

Forward to set up 'Vol Calibration' and that's were the trouble was consistent.     Eventually I could get a level reading on either L or R speaker but never on both.    After setting one or the other 1st the 2nd speaker would keep coming up with 'Device Internal error'.    I never pushed the Master Vol over the -31.5 or the Mic Gain over 100%.    According to my DB metre on my iphone it was only pushing 80db vol pink noise.

Each time I went to set the 2nd speaker (either L or R) the pink noise button will switch on but not off.   and when I hit the off button I get the Internal Error message.      I have to reset the software each time to turn the pink noise off.    

Any thoughts on why the DL software keeps throwing the Error message?   Am I over driving something somewhere

Regards Cazzesman

Finally got some more me time today and spent the morning using DL 2.3.3. with the Minidsp22D.   Software in a Dell Laptop with W10.

As I have mentioned previously the 2.3.3. firmware worked fine (Unlike the 2.4 update).    DL 2.0 is similar but different to 1.0.  Probably more user friendly in some ways.     The downloadable manual is pretty good so make that a first point of call.   DL 2.0 is fussy about how it is started and used. 

Ran the 9 sweeps for the 'Sweet Spot' single Chair Mode.   Nothing out of the ordinary in the room and the corrected curve needed little tweaking.    I gradually rolled off the bottom end from around 22htz, boosted the mids very slightly and rolled off the highs over 1800htz.   

The Kii's responded stunningly.   Within the Kii EQ, i bumped up 47htz 2.0db to cover a dip and that was it thus far. 

Switching between on and off with DL 2.0 there is not alot of difference between it and the standard Kii 3 presentation.   The difference is a slightly more forward presentation in the vocals that I prefer, a general sense of more musical cohesion and an overall richness in the lower mid and bottom end. 

Loving what I am getting after running through my 12 'Go To' listening tracks.   Richness, clarity, sound-stage and dynamics.    Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eyes blasted from the Kii's.

These past 10 years, since I have really started to hone in on my home audio experience, I have come to the belief that the best bang for your audio buck is............

Active Speakers

Room Treatment

Digital EQ

Understanding Wife. 🥰    (did someone say Valentines day is upon us)

Regards Cazzesman

The recommended minidsp guideline is a setting of -10bd for the headroom required.  I used that -10db on the minidsp plugin.    My room is pretty well treated so I did not have any major issues whereby a boost was required except at 47kz.  That was only +2db and I used the Kii 3 EQ to do that. 

Now that my curves are setup, I run the minidsp vol at 100% and use the vol control on the Kii 3 controller for sound vol.

Regards Cazzesman