IGNORED

Errors of Mis-Placed Precision in Audiophility

Ralf11

On 12/7/2017 at 10:21 AM, NOMBEDES said:

You well may be correct that KOB was remastered with more care, however, there are thousands of complaints posted on various audio/music sites concerning upsampled music passed off as high quality, high resolution, higher cost product.

As I stated above, if you can hear a difference......enjoy! 

I suppose I'm the canary in the goldmine... a lot of CD quality recordings are painful to listen to because of digital filter effects. A high rez  96/24  recording is welcome Novocain for those recordings

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 12/8/2017 at 12:33 PM, davide256 said:

I suppose I'm the canary in the goldmine... a lot of CD quality recordings are painful to listen to because of digital filter effects. A high rez  96/24  recording is welcome Novocain for those recordings

Good Point! Here is a quote from the "most interesting man in the world":

" I don't listen to vinyl all the time, but when I want to enjoy music, I listen to vinyl......"  or something like that.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

On 07/12/2017 at 8:01 AM, firedog said:

Uh, the KOB hi-res remasters are also better sounding even if you convert them to Redbook. They simply are a superior mastering done with more care and attention to detail than the typical versions you come across. Anyone can hear a difference. How much money that is worth to you is a different question. 

What or who is KOB?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 12/8/2017 at 3:05 PM, Ralf11 said:

I wasn't asking for posts on the internet - publications as in an article in a scientific or engineering journal.

I'm no longer a member of AES or IEEE so I don't have access to their publications. But seldom in the past were there responses to published papers.

There are no faults in the paper of it's own work, all the questions were about the quality of the old papers that they referenced.

On 12/4/2017 at 7:46 PM, esldude said:

Why does no one comment on the obvious distortion on KOB?

It is a great recording, and one of my all time favorites.  But it has some distortion in places.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 hours ago, esldude said:

It is a great recording, and one of my all time favorites.  But it has some distortion in places.  

True, but the 2013 hi-res has MUCH less than my CD and LP versions from the 70"s. For example, the opening of "So What" has very distorted horns on both of those, but in the high res it is much less noticeable/much reduced. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

12 hours ago, Speedskater said:

I'm no longer a member of AES or IEEE so I don't have access to their publications. But seldom in the past were there responses to published papers.

There are no faults in the paper of it's own work, all the questions were about the quality of the old papers that they referenced.

I do not disagree.  But, if you look closely, it is the older tests that tended to find no difference with hirez and pull down the overall average.  Older tests were also often less fully descriptive of their test methodology than newer ones, hence possibly flawed.  Newer tests also tended more to use pre-test training of subjects, which objectively improved discrimination, as Reiss shows.

Then, he also devotes a section the deeply flawed Meyer-Moran study of over a decade ago.  There were also numerous professional criticisms of that paper at the AES site and elsewhere, prompting Meyer to admit finally that his was not really a scientific study.  Yet, many audiophiles cite it as gospel which supports their bias.

So, again, the Reiss paper does a very good job of assembling and summarizing the available research.  I personally and anecdotally find hirez with native hirez recordings  to offer small but noticeable subjective improvements over RBCD resolution.  It is not a slam dunk, obvious improvement, and really makes little difference with analog masters.  So, I am quite comfortable with his summary conclusions.

18 hours ago, mansr said:

If you don't have at least 3 versions on each of vinyl, CD, hires PCM, and DSD, you're not a true audiophile.

Sh*t!!! :/

9 hours ago, esldude said:

It's a great performance, the recording is not even as good as some of it's contemporaries.

Yet some people use it to test their systems...

15 hours ago, esldude said:

Which distortion? Are we talking about the spit sound from the horns that I note is discussed elsewhere?