IGNORED

Does a DAC need a pre-amp

8 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Seriously? You think I’m lying? You are star struck with the price of gear, while ignoring the most important aspect of what makes gear great — proper design and thoughtful execution. Open your ears and close your eyes, you may learn something.

Just trying to uncover the apparant deception. What speakers are you using?

12 minutes ago, firedog said:

I have the same one and massively prefer the JFET buffer.....

We’re all talking about the Freya (why hide it?).

I’m also running the Freya as a sort of stand-in until I find a high-end preamp. With GE 6SN7GTBs the tube stage is clearly preferable although the difference between it and the JFET isn’t that great.

11 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I’m also running the Freya as a sort of stand-in until I find a high-end preamp. With GE 6SN7GTBs the tube stage is clearly preferable although the difference between it and the JFET isn’t that great.

Those GE tubes aren't very good....

I would take a hard look at the Don Sachs Model 2 line stage:

http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/custom line stage.html

I'll have mine in a couple of weeks.

44 minutes ago, mansr said:

Telling people their gear sucks, mostly.

both gutb and speedracer both always talk like if we don't have what they have, then everything else is garbage...i may ask "simplistic questions", but i never pass off their garbage posts...they are so full of themselves, and i wouldn't want either of their systems if i had their same budget....

9 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

both gutb and speedracer both always talk like if we don't have what they have, then everything else is garbage...i may ask "simplistic questions", but i never pass off their garbage posts...they are so full of themselves, and i wouldn't want either of their systems if i had their same budget....

Speed Racer is ok. GUTB is a joke.

4 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

Okay, I have to take issue there.  The GE 6SN7GTA/B from c. 1950-65 is an extremely well-made tube, far better IMO than just about any current manufacture 6SN7, and that includes the expensive Chinese types.  The manufacturing quality is very consistent, plate matching is extremely good, microphonics are almost non-existent, and the sound is smooth and balanced from top to bottom.

There are a lot of fine vintage 6SN7s but to say that the GE's "aren't very good" betrays a lack of experience with them, IMHO.

It may be a well made tube....but it is pedestrian sounding. I much prefer the VT-231 tubes from 40's made by Sylvania, Raytheon, RCA, and Ken-Rad.

21 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Not true. I don't care if you have what I have. Heck, there is a lot better stuff out there than what I have. I just can't afford it.

3 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

It may be a well made tube....but it is pedestrian sounding. I much prefer the VT-231 tubes from 40's made by Sylvania, Raytheon, RCA, and Ken-Rad.

THAT is a different matter entirely.  I disagree about the sound quality, but there's a lot of room for variance there.

8 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

My equipment list in my signature. Provide examples please.... 

My point is, that everyone would like to think they make well informed decisions, so you should think twice about talking negatively about others equipment.

I have looked at your signature, and i would probably not buy any of it...starting with the pcm schiit...but i don't want to take my time to tell others that I don't like what they buy.

What you buy, may sound perfectly great to you for your genre and your tastes, with your budget, but that doesn't mean that is the only solution or even the "better" solution for everyone.

Are we proving Michael Lavorgna's point here?

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

3 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

My point is, that everyone would like to think they make well informed decisions, so you should think twice about talking negatively about others equipment.

I have looked at your signature, and i would probably not buy any of it...starting with the pcm schiit...but i don't want to take my time to tell others that I don't like what they buy.

What you buy, may sound perfectly great to you for your genre and your tastes, that doesn't mean that is the only solution.

If there is one thing you can be guaranteed to get from me is my honest opinion. If I don't like something I will say so. If I like something I will say so.

I don't care if you like or dislike what is in my signature. I have my own tastes and priorities.