IGNORED

Does a DAC need a pre-amp

26 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

For decades, I have found that the introduction of additional analog stages to the signal path inevitably introduced some loss of transparency.

That mirrors my experience, exactly. I spent a long time looking for a preamp that would be beneficial in multiple systems I've built. I've not found one. From tube preamps to solid state to hybrids, all muddled the sound stage to some degree, caused frequency distortions, made playback less transparent. Perhaps there's some combinations of DACs and amps that do benefit from an active stage for impedance or level matching, but I've not run into this situation with any of my systems.  

If you can get away with not using a preamp, that would be the best way to go. And if you do feel like you do need a preamp, it may be worth it to try to figure out if there's something not properly matched in your system between the DAC and the amp... or, perhaps that you just prefer the euphonic distortions added by the preamp.

2 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Well stated. The fact that an active preamp, even the best of them, adds noise and distortion to the system notwithstanding, most systems are better with a preamp than without one and largely for the reasons you state. 

I don't know if most are better, but some -- definitely. And if you want to spend $25k on a circuit that acts as a buffer between two devices, that's your choice.

11 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Digital audio isn’t audio at all.

Wow, what are you doing on a Computer Audiophile forum then?

41 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Do you ever sit in front of your speakers and ask yourself:

"How come the soundstage never goes beyond the outer edge of my speakers?"

"Why can’t I pinpoint sounds?"

"Why do drums lack explosive force?"

"Why do some things sound like modulated tones and not real instruments?"

"Why can’t I perceive depth?"

"Why do I get tired of listening after 30 minutes?"

No to all of these.

My soundstage extends well beyond my speakers and into the adjacent rooms on good recordings. I rarely hear sounds directly from my speakers. I can pinpoint individual voices in a large choir, individual violins in a large orchestra. Live rock concerts sound to me like I'm there, surrounded by the audience. I hear well the dimensions of the space of the performance when properly recorded. The piano sounds very realistic to me, and I'm a piano player and have one in my living room. Bass extends to around 20Hz in a usable way without a subwoofer. The sound is 'organic', for a lack of a better word. My listening sessions usually last 3-4 hours, and I don't get tired of the system, ever. I don't have a single tube in it (I did before), and I don't have a preamp, though I still own a few. I use DSP and a digital volume control. How did I do on your quiz?