IGNORED

Does a DAC need a pre-amp

13 minutes ago, esldude said:

For people with multiple sources some of which are analog one of the best things they could do is have a DAC/preamp, and combine it with a quality ADC for analog inputs.  This can do a much better job of transparently buffering and isolating source components from the power amp input.

And you can apply DSP room correction to all sources.

9 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

both gutb and speedracer both always talk like if we don't have what they have, then everything else is garbage...i may ask "simplistic questions", but i never pass off their garbage posts...they are so full of themselves, and i wouldn't want either of their systems if i had their same budget....

Speed Racer is ok. GUTB is a joke.

4 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I dunno, but keep in mind that a digital potentiometer, while eliminating problems with impedance mismatch, must convert analog to digital and then back again. And we argue for hundreds of posts about the merits of various commercial DACs and now some are advocating digital volume control chips which do a do a double conversion? 

That's not what a digital potentiometer is. A digital potentiometer is simply a digitally controlled variable resistor. Here's an example of one: http://www.analog.com/en/products/digital-to-analog-converters/digital-potentiometers/ad5142a.html

9 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I'm not understanding how mechanical speed variation in reading bits off a CD would affect SQ.  Shouldn't the buffers handle this?

Of course they should, and they do. Every CD player has to have at least a small buffer for the CIRC decoding. The decoded bits are clocked out using a crystal oscillator. Feedback from the buffering system regulates the CLV servo that spins the disc. The portable CD players that used to be popular would buffer several seconds of audio, allowing them to recover even if shaken badly enough that tracking was lost.

Just now, gmgraves said:

Indeed? Never thought of that! Never mind my criticism. The only digital volume control of which I've ever heard uses an ADC and then a multi step volume control which works in the digital domain, and then requires the digital signal to be returned to the analog mode via a DAC. Not a great high-end audio solution in my estimation. However the one you describe should be fine.

There are also devices like this one: http://www.ti.com/product/pga2311

That's basically a variable resistor combined with an opamp to produce a variable-gain device with fixed input and output impedance.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

At Schiit it's Mike Moffat for the digital stuff and Jason Stoddard for the analog designs. Both are legendary in their fields. Maybe that's the reason their stuff consistently seems to outperform it's price points. 

I've only had limited interactions with them, but they seem to know their schiit.