IGNORED

Does a DAC need a pre-amp

i like my dac plugged into my integrated mcintosh...too bad i can't play in this discussion, but when i didn't have an integrated, i always preferred direct connect to amp....i was surprised how much CLEAN and BETTER it sounded once i took the preamps out, but they were relatively cheap preamps (bob carver and cambridge audio).  I also have used marantz avrs as a preamp.  I did like this for purposes of "sub out" that my mcintosh didn't have and it also was great for doing audyssey EQ.

Unfortunately i have to agree with both sides (grin).

44 minutes ago, mansr said:

Telling people their gear sucks, mostly.

both gutb and speedracer both always talk like if we don't have what they have, then everything else is garbage...i may ask "simplistic questions", but i never pass off their garbage posts...they are so full of themselves, and i wouldn't want either of their systems if i had their same budget....

8 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

My equipment list in my signature. Provide examples please.... 

My point is, that everyone would like to think they make well informed decisions, so you should think twice about talking negatively about others equipment.

I have looked at your signature, and i would probably not buy any of it...starting with the pcm schiit...but i don't want to take my time to tell others that I don't like what they buy.

What you buy, may sound perfectly great to you for your genre and your tastes, with your budget, but that doesn't mean that is the only solution or even the "better" solution for everyone.

10 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I don't care if you like or dislike what is in my signature. I have my own tastes and priorities.

Then why did you ask for examples?

I am just showing you how you sound to others....i don't typically talk like that, but that is how you sound.  I saw Chris told you to tone it down too...that should be a good hint that the way you speak to others isn't appreciated...i am just suggesting you think twice before knocking others equipment.  That is all.  You don't care what others think, others probably don't care what you think either, so why don't you just try to be respectful.  You can offer opinions and still be respectful.

2 hours ago, pooger said:

My last preamp (still owned, and gets occasional use) was a Pass Aleph P. It did cost (ahem...) more than $50. Chosen at the time based on listening comparisons with other top preamps, using a pair of Rowland Ones (ditto), with a Wadia DAC that let me by pass a preamp altogether. It was the most transparent, and added the gain necessary for that system. 

Current Dac is a Buffalo, with heavily modded Legato output. I feed a pair of The Wire amps, with the gain structure built to give me a volume I want with quiet recordings (i.e., plenty loud with most). The difference between having a preamp in line v. Going straight from DAC to amps is not subtle. 

This is is not a yes or no question—it's going to depend on the specific DAC, the specific amp, and possibly the speakers. For many, a preamp will improve the sound, but for some, it just adds additional veiling and noise.

Agreed, as everything in life....it depends....