IGNORED

Does a DAC need a pre-amp

18 hours ago, gradier said:

I am playing my music collection (ALAC files) through JRiver and listening via an IFI IDAC2 and M-Audio M-38 powered monitors. Right now, I have to use the mouse on the computer to control volume (the IDA2 does not have  volume control for the RCA OUTS). Is this a scenario where I would benefit from having a pre-amp? If it had volume control, that would be a possible benefit, but my real question is this: Is there any advantage from the point of view of sound to adding a preamp to the chain between the DAC and the powered speakers?

Depends. Cheap pre-amps really aren't worth buying. Something like a Burson Conductor V2 (integrated DAC/pre)  for your solution may be a  better bet where you get a better DAC and quality pre circuitry in one package. You can also buy DAC's with electronic volume control, but I've never used electronic volume control where I didn't have "oops" moments of blasting sound at 100db because the software reset. WIth an analog control, your equipment ( and your hearing) is better protected against destructive accidents.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

51 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

you mean a mechanical transport?  or the general phenomenon of moving the bits to a DAC via cable, etc.?

I know some of my recordings sound great on drums & others suck, so I blame the recording engineers.

Transport to me means turntable/arm/cartridge solution,  cd media spinner/laser reader, tape player, and digital renderer. They are devices where music data in one form is translated to an audio signal in a different form. Bass improvement (clarity, weight, tone color) is often the first recognizable sign of significant improvement from a transport  upgrade.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

22 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I'm not understanding how mechanical speed variation in reading bits off a CD would affect SQ.  Shouldn't the buffers handle this?

For LP's motor speed variation itself  isn't that different between a modest and expensive disc player. What differs is the damping & isolation of the transport  protecting the disc read from being dithered by rotational and external vibration.  In a CD player you are reading pits off the  disc surface at high speed, I suspect that vibrations causes same because  you see a lot of hardening in better CD transports.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

9 hours ago, esldude said:

From your usage, I don't think dither means what you think it means.  Jittered maybe is what you have in mind?

hmm, perhaps not. Dither = "white noise" is not what I was intending to describe. Jitter is probably an inexact term also in that superimposed vibrations aren't random, have 1 or more component frequencies. 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system