IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

On 5/26/2021 at 7:50 PM, Miska said:

I think it is so new hardware that the driver in 5.4 kernel doesn't support that network interface yet. I will eventually update the kernel, but meanwhile you can use some USB-Ethernet adapter to get network connection.

When do you plan to upgrade the kernel?

I found that gentopayer also supports my 2.5G network card.  Gentoolplayer can run hqplay embedded.Its kernel version 11.3.

8 hours ago, fishflower said:

When do you plan to upgrade the kernel?

I found that gentopayer also supports my 2.5G network card.  Gentoolplayer can run hqplay embedded.Its kernel version 11.3.

It was updated in 4.24 release to 5.10 which is the current long term support kernel. There is no kernel version 11.3...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 2:08 PM, Miska said:

Some load figures for the Ryzen 7 5800X with the new special build of HQPlayer 4 Desktop running on Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS:

2051467028_Screenshot2021-02-11at0_07_23.thumb.png.25b0802eedcf977e56d073b8ae308465.png

Client and terminal with ssh connection to the Linux machine running on Mac Mini M1 under macOS.

P.S. Part of this performance is thanks to the G.Skill DDR4-3400 CL16 RAM...

Now that some more months have passed, do you recommend the 5800X and B550/X570 motherboard? The Realtek 2.5G NIC issue still appears to be unresolved and I would think is a hw issue at this point.

It seems the AMD processors are more efficient for HQP work but the supporting motherboards aren't quite up to par, yet. 

1 hour ago, lpost said:

Now that some more months have passed, do you recommend the 5800X and B550/X570 motherboard? The Realtek 2.5G NIC issue still appears to be unresolved and I would think is a hw issue at this point.

It seems the AMD processors are more efficient for HQP work but the supporting motherboards aren't quite up to par, yet. 

What Realtek NIC issue?

Many threads about 1st gen Realtek 2.5G chip/driver issues. Not consistent. I don't know if the problems are only Windows driver related or not. Apparently, some of the MB makers have recently acknowledged the problems and are working with Realtek. There is a gen 2 available but not yet on any boards I've found. I'm just trying to uncover ever problem child before jumping into a new build.

10 hours ago, lpost said:

I'm happy with my AMD 5800X machine. And it's Intel 2.5G NIC works fine on the Ubuntu HWE kernel as well as on my custom kernel which is now based on 5.10 LTS kernel series.

On 5/9/2021 at 11:31 AM, bobflood said:

I have the M1 Mini. It will cost you two to three times as the price of the M1 to build a Intel based machine and unless you add an expensive GPU you will not have any advantage over the M1. Get the 256/16 version and set the HQP buffer to 100 ms and you will be able to do DSD 256/ASDM7EC from any resolution base file using most filters.

Hello Bob - Can the M1 run 1.536mhz Sinc-Mx?

I have the 5600X and recently build a 10600K for a friend, with a little OC to 5.0GHz the Intel which is cheaper is a better alternative to my 5600X which with PBO can't do sinc-Mx vs the Intel which can.

The 5600X on a B550I Realtek onboard neither the HWE or jl kernels will support the NIC, I manually have to add the r8125-9.004.01.tar.bz2 driver

Not a big deal when you know what to do still next board will be Intel onboard

17 hours ago, luisma said:

I have the 5600X and recently build a 10600K for a friend, with a little OC to 5.0GHz the Intel which is cheaper is a better alternative to my 5600X which with PBO can't do sinc-Mx vs the Intel which can.

The 5600X on a B550I Realtek onboard neither the HWE or jl kernels will support the NIC, I manually have to add the r8125-9.004.01.tar.bz2 driver

Not a big deal when you know what to do still next board will be Intel onboard

The ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING I'm using has Intel 2.5G NIC and thus it works with both the HWE kernel and my custom one. So if you are looking for a B550 mobo, one of these is good option. Realtek is cheaper, so it usually appears on less expensive boards.

@luisma: not sure if @Miska 5800x could run sync-Mx / EC7 to DSD256 without overclocking and without CUDA offload or not.

I'm surprised that even your 5600x at max 4.6GHz still can not run that with AMD optimized build.

I'm currently running i7-9700 (which all core turbo reach about the same 4.6GHz) without CUDA and also cannot do sync-Mx. Thinking to plan for my next upgrade but actually not really keen on the current TDP of all latest Intel CPU. They burn too much energy power to waste heat if using just for audio upsampling purpose like us.

Hope Miska still could optimize the AMD build a little bit further so that those 65W TDP chips like the 5600x could do sync-Mx / EC7 / DSD256

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

2 minutes ago, chipvn said:

not really keen on the current TDP

True it is more wattage, the total would be around 160W vs 60W on the AMD but you can do sincMx with the 11600K which is how much? $60 less, and temps are controlled with a Noctua under 70C

If you can wait for Intel 12th Gen yes definitely that would bring better performance and more efficiency

6 hours ago, Miska said:

In any case you can plug in Intel PCIe NIC and have the problem solved. And doesn't cost much...

Only one slot, taken by the video card, can't use another NIC, I can use a USB adapter like the one recommended by lmitche which BTW allowed me to install but I prefer the Realtek to the USB.

Lesson learned for next build.

Active fan cooled

More than one PCie slot

More than 2 ram slots

Intel on board card

I'm happy with my recent build:

i5 10600k - I didn't want to add a graphics card just to work at the console and the integrated from AMD didn't seem compelling.

ASUS Prime z590m -  Not high quality parts but choices with proven i219v NIC and mATX are few and far between. I tried the GIGABYTE B560M AORUS PRO AX it uses top-shelf components but the Intel embedded nic wouldn't work with 5.10 kernel and even in Windows 10 it only worked for a short period of time before the driver stopped talking to the hardware. Windows probably replaced/updated and it broke. 

Cooler Master 212 black - No need for a AIO for this use case.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 - on the QVL and does the job

Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Micro-ATX - super cheap but does the job

My goals were to keep size and power consumption very close to what I had, i7-6700, but be able to play 256EC7 with any filter and more at 512 with lighter SDM and filters and run HQPeOS bootable image. I was not impressed with Ubuntu performance hosting RoonServer vs. Windows 10 (probably Roon not the OS) and I really didn't want to fuss with all the libraries, HWE, etc. 

It lives in a 19" half rack in a conditioned closet so fans are encouraged. I hacked up the case to allow proper ventilation at low rpm and only modestly overclocked the CPU to all core 4.9GHz yet retain all the power scaling abilities to chill out when not needed. RAM bumped from 3200 to 3400 just because it's all perfectly stable with Prime95 beating on it.

Power consumption during playback is only up ~10W average vs. the i7-6700. These modern 140mm fans are so quiet it could live in the listening room and maybe barely during silence be heard, maybe. All the trouble to build fan-less is so not worth it to me.

I was running 256EC5 with poly-sinc-gauss-xla and am enjoying the uplift at 256EC7. 

4 hours ago, lpost said:

Oh, one quirk. I used a Seasonic Prime 650w from a few years ago. It's probably a bios issue but 'Restore AC Power Loss' doesn't work. WOL does though. 

Nevermind. Restore AC setting is working I just wasn't waiting long enough for the power supply caps to fully drain and thus the computer be completely 'off'.

Hi All,

I'm in a position to build yet another server, which is capable of handling HQPlayer / Roon with ease and then pushed over to a Roon end point computer and then fed into the Denafrips Terminator DAC

Would like to upsample everything to DSD512, as the DAC supports this size.

The case will be completely passive (no fans) and likely be either the Turemetal UP10 or the MonsterLabo - The Beast.

Therefore, looking for recommendations on the right CPU and Graphics card to ensure it's capable of handling whatever HQPlayer throws at it.

I keep hearing many things from the Intel i9 1900 to the AMD Ryzen Threadripper series and as for the graphics card, I'm actually a little lost.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers

6 hours ago, Fleecyears said:

Hi All,

I'm in a position to build yet another server, which is capable of handling HQPlayer / Roon with ease and then pushed over to a Roon end point computer and then fed into the Denafrips Terminator DAC

Would like to upsample everything to DSD512, as the DAC supports this size.

The case will be completely passive (no fans) and likely be either the Turemetal UP10 or the MonsterLabo - The Beast.

Therefore, looking for recommendations on the right CPU and Graphics card to ensure it's capable of handling whatever HQPlayer throws at it.

I keep hearing many things from the Intel i9 1900 to the AMD Ryzen Threadripper series and as for the graphics card, I'm actually a little lost.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers

I believe Threadripper requires active cooling.  I would look at the lowest wattage CPUs that will go to over 5GHz.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers