IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

8 hours ago, fishflower said:

After testing, hqplayer-embedded-4.22.3-x64 can run smoothly for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. which is interesting, it can continue to stop for half a second. Ha ha, anyway, it's better to play it than not. thank you.

Sounds like thermal throttling when CPU temperature increases due to load.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

15 hours ago, fishflower said:

After testing, hqplayer-embedded-4.22.3-x64 can run smoothly for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. which is interesting, it can continue to stop for half a second. Ha ha, anyway, it's better to play it than not. thank you.

Try running the OS and Hqplayerd from a ramdisk. This can make the difference between stuttering and smooth performance.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

On 6/3/2021 at 7:27 PM, Miska said:

Also depends on your BIOS settings. At least earlier NUC BIOS had setting for fan profile, like "silent" and "performance":

That's true. The fan is set to cooling, now it's OK. Thank you!

22 hours ago, lmitche said:

Try running the OS and Hqplayerd from a ramdisk. This can make the difference between stuttering and smooth performance.

I don't know how to set up ramdisk,thank you!

I'm listening to the Rumours - Fleetwood Mac 44.1 kHz, a recording I know well and I'm listening through my headphones testing the system, there are things there in that recording that I have never heard before with such detail, this is incredible

Hi

I just read this interesting discussion on HQPlayer vs Chord Hugo MScaler.

I don't know if the author has been in touch but he is having problems with HQPlayer DSD upsampling ..

"none of the “EC” modes worked without hiccups or dropouts. All sinc-L combos with x512 didn’t work. Maybe I’m missing something here (maybe I should RTFM). As mentioned, this is a $5,000+ very high-performance PC."

he has a good PC ..

PC Specs:

24-core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X (water-cooled)
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090
64GB of DDR4 RAM
All NVMe drives
ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha motherboard

23 hours ago, luisma said:

With Ubuntu either the generic kernel nor the jl last kernel will show the I219-V Intel onboard adapter, this was disappointing as I assumed the Ubuntu generic kernel will always work with Intel chipset cards. Intel doesn't have a specific Linux driver for this, neither does ASROCK.

It works if you install the recommended "linux-lowlatency-hwe-20.04" meta-package. This "hardware enablement" package adds support for bunch of newer hardware that the older kernels lack support for.

It likely also works with my latest 5.10 based custom kernel.

23 hours ago, luisma said:

I can run all filters at DSD256 ASDM7EC with the exception of Sinc-L

If I don't OC then in addition to Sinc-L I can't do Sinc-Mx

Worth trying both package builds on this hardware.

With the regular build you get AVX-512 support. With the "amd" build you won't, but still full AVX2 support. And somewhat different workload distribution in above cases.

35 minutes ago, Triplefun said:

I just read this interesting discussion on HQPlayer vs Chord Hugo MScaler.

I don't know if the author has been in touch but he is having problems with HQPlayer DSD upsampling ..

"none of the “EC” modes worked without hiccups or dropouts. All sinc-L combos with x512 didn’t work. Maybe I’m missing something here (maybe I should RTFM). As mentioned, this is a $5,000+ very high-performance PC."

he has a good PC ..

PC Specs:

24-core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X (water-cooled)
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090
64GB of DDR4 RAM
All NVMe drives
ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha motherboard

The CPU is not necessarily best choice, since it has limited clock speeds due to high core counts. But certainly with this CPU and HQPlayer you need to use Linux as OS and the AMD optimized build. Otherwise performance will suffer.

For offloading those sinc filters to the GPU, the Nvidia driver needs to be new enough (>= v465). Otherwise CUDA doesn't become active (pay attention to check HQPlayer interface or nvidia-smi that it actually becomes active). And of course the HQPlayer build needs to be CUDA-enabled (Ubuntu or Windows build).

I have recently set up a headless Mac mini M1 (8GB) solely for HQPlayer. I get RBCD > DSD256 with ASDM5EC and ext3 easily (about 75% overall CPU) and the box doesn’t even get warm, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard the fan yet. I have to step down to ext2 for ASDM7EC though (uses just under 50% CPU).  I also use HQPlayer NAA on ultraRendu so maybe that helps too. 

The ability to go from non-EC to EC is like upgrading my DAC!  A huge improvement in sound for my system!  

For the price and ease of setup (no BIOS or other tinkering other than not enabling services like Siri, Spotlight, iCloud, TimeMachine, etc.) it is a great solution for me. 

I set up screen sharing and have a window on my laptop (which is my Roon Core too) if I want to play with filters, EQ, etc. but mostly it runs by itself. I can use HQPDCONTROL on my iPad too. 

I have finally completed my passive dedicated computer (separated Roon Core as well as separate NAA) for HQP based on below configuration:

1. HDplex H3V3 case (modified to use both side heatsink instead of stock casing using only 1 side) with HDplex 200W power supply.

2. Core i7-9700 with 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600CL16 RAM and Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB SSD, Gigabyte Z390i Pro mainboard.

3. CPU set fix as 4GHz all cores, AVX offset 1, undervolt -0.055V inside BIOS. With this, when running high load like upsampling from PCM192 to DSD256 x44.1 with ext2 filter and ASDM7EC modulator, CPU package power is around 32W.

4. HQP desktop v4.11.2 AMD version on Ubuntu 20.04.2 desktop.

When idle, CPU temperature is about 41oC (room temperature about 28-30oC).

When running ext3 (for 1x) / ASDM5EC / 48kHz to DSD256 x44.1 below is the load and temperature after about 1 hour:

spacer.png

When running ext2 (for Nx)  / ASDM5EC / 192kHz to DSD256 x44.1 below is the load and temperature after about 1.5 hours:

spacer.png

Overall, with underclock/undervolt Core i7-9700, I still can run quite a number of filters with EC5/EC7 modulator at DSD256 x44.1 (my DAC is ESS Saber base that's why I use EC5), included Sinc-M, Sinc-S or the new Sinc-xtr-short-mp (on 4.12.0) with temperature is controlled well below max70oC (average 60-65oC) on my modified HDPlex H3V3 passive case.

Thank Miska for a very nice software.

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

On 6/7/2021 at 5:55 PM, Miska said:

It works if you install the recommended "linux-lowlatency-hwe-20.04" meta-package. This "hardware enablement" package adds support for bunch of newer hardware that the older kernels lack support for.

Yes it does work, "sudo apt install linux-lowlatency-hwe-20.04" supports the Intel I219-V driver present on the Z590M boards.

• 2 weeks later...

Miska

When to upgrade kernel? Some time ago, I tried to install Gentoo player and found that it already supports 2.5G network port. I'm looking forward to it. Its kernel is set above version 11.It can be installed with hqplayer embedded, it's too complicated. but I still think it is simple, stable and pleasant to directly install.

21 hours ago, fishflower said:

Miska

When to upgrade kernel? Some time ago, I tried to install Gentoo player and found that it already supports 2.5G network port. I'm looking forward to it. Its kernel is set above version 11.It can be installed with hqplayer embedded, it's too complicated. but I still think it is simple, stable and pleasant to directly install.

I'm not sure I understand the question?