IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

Thank you for your inputs. 

I've picked up a mini M1 today and have spent a bit of time playing around with HQP filters on it. Basically, as has been previously reported, the upper limit is DSD256 with EC modulators and DSD512 without. I couldn't get DSD1024 to play; I think it's a limitation with the Amanero USB-to-I2S that I'm using. For the filters, sync-L was the only unusable one that I've tried. With sync-L the memory swap gets to over 4Gb and HQP crashes on the mini M1 with 8Gb of RAM. Otherwise memory swap is around 500Mb. 

I must say, I'm highly impressed by the M1 CPU. I have been listening to redbook upsampled to DSD256 with the ASDM7EC modulator and sync-M filter. After about an hour, the mini is barely warm and the fan is off. 

6 hours ago, Jean Paul D said:

New ext3 filter in 4.11 makes the M1 obsolete

Considering that it couldn't do DSD512 with the EC modulators from the beginning, I guess it was "obsolete" from the beginning. 

I assume that a much more expensive build would be required for ext3, unless you have a recommendation?

2 hours ago, Druid said:

Considering that it couldn't do DSD512 with the EC modulators from the beginning, I guess it was "obsolete" from the beginning. 

I assume that a much more expensive build would be required for ext3, unless you have a recommendation?

A much more expensive build would be needed. You couldn't even buy the GPU for the price of the M1, that is if you could get it at all.

One thing we all need to keep in mind is that just because a filter uses enormous amounts of processing power, it does not mean that it is certainly better than one that does not.

There is a tendency in all things but especially in this hobby to be seduced by the power of big numbers. If a filter has 1 million taps, then one with 16 million must sound better and then why not 1 billion taps. I could go on but I think the point is made.

45 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I'm struggling with the use of the word "obsolete" here when, in fact, it's simply that the ext3 filter is too cpu intensive for some models of server.  That does NOT make those servers obsolete, unless you say that ext3 is the only musical filter.  It is not.  Oh, and anything-EC with DSD512 is impossible right now (real-time) so that fact does not make ALL servers obsolete.  In the words of Indigo Montoya (Princess Bride) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”  😎

Well said, Ted, and a great quote from a longtime favorite movie of mine. A single program, much less just one specific filter within it hardly makes a server obsolete. If your six month old car's NAV system did not happen to recognize a newly added street in your city, would you refer to the NAV system as obsolete and think you needed a 2021 model of automobile? 

JC

10 hours ago, ted_b said:

I'm struggling with the use of the word "obsolete" here when, in fact, it's simply that the ext3 filter is too cpu intensive for some models of server.  That does NOT make those servers obsolete, unless you say that ext3 is the only musical filter.  It is not.  Oh, and anything-EC with DSD512 is impossible right now (real-time) so that fact does not make ALL servers obsolete.  In the words of Indigo Montoya (Princess Bride) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”  😎

I totally agree. My earlier reply was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. 

On 4/27/2021 at 3:19 PM, Miska said:

Yes, I think I have the bug fixed now. Will need some more testing, but it is in for the next release.

Miska.

Just checked with the latest 4.11.0 update - that bug still seems to be there ... I can play dff256, but not dsf256.

Can confirm ext3 is a no go with the M1, as expected.

Will get to the SincMx later.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

16 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Just checked with the latest 4.11.0 update - that bug still seems to be there ... I can play dff256, but not dsf256.

At least I was not able to reproduce the problem anymore...

16 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Can confirm ext3 is a no go with the M1, as expected.

I didn't try all combinations on M1 yet, but likely it works for some cases with adaptive output rate.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 hours ago, Miska said:

At least I was not able to reproduce the problem anymore...

But I was!

Any idea what might be causing this? dff surely wouldn’t have an easier load ask.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

SincMx dropouts with M1, dxd -Sinc M fine.

Hi Jussi/Mishka,

Hope all is well. I just purchased the hqplayer and cant believe the difference it makes in upsampling to dsd256. The quality is pristine. I use a gustard x26pro dac.

I am currently using filter sinc-L and shaper DSD7 256+fs upsampled to bit rate 48kx256 on DoP and 48khz dsd. I dont have convolution or pipeline parameters. 

This setup I am not able to run on my i3 nuc but when I used my VR flight gaming PC of i7 9800 and 2080ti with cuda offloading I cant believe the sound upgrade I am hearing.

I am now willing to invest on a ghost canyon nuc on an i7-9750 and gtx 1660 graphics for cuda offloading. As this form factor size can fit nicely on my audio rack but is a lower spec than above gaming pc.

I just dont want to invest this much and find out it cannot run smoothly on above hqplayer dsd setup?

Are you able to help advise as planning to bite the bullet this weekend? I prefer not to go back to pcm sound. Really appreciate your inouts and help and all the best!!!

Cheers,
Glenn

Sent from my Galaxy

51 minutes ago, Miska said:

I know what the problem was... But not sure how it could be still present...

Hmm, ... definitely now on 4.11.0 & been trying out new filters on the M1 ...

I’ll muck around with some odds & ends. See if anything solution-wise presents.

1 hour ago, jamesg11 said:

Jussi, I was having problems with 4.11 on my M1. See my post in the main HQP thread. I reverted to 4.10.3 for now which is working as usual that is to say perfectly.

3 hours ago, bobflood said:

Jussi, I was having problems with 4.11 on my M1. See my post in the main HQP thread. I reverted to 4.10.3 for now which is working as usual that is to say perfectly.

Just to be clear, I was having this dsf256 issue on 4.10.3 ... Jussi has applied a fix, which so far doesn’t work for me.

So dff256 is good, not dsf256 -

B6AFCEC3-B2DC-4221-9EE2-AA3A90816711.jpeg

5 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Deleted a couple of HQP recent versions, restarted M1 & reinstalled 4.11.0 ... hoping something lingering might be interfering - did not help.

Something else to try?

5 hours ago, bobflood said:

As above, though still persisting with 4.11.0 - this got weirder: wound up able to play dff of any type, but no dsf files at all!

Can someone remind me where to locate 4.10.3 so I can revert back? Thanks.