IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

13 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Bob, what is your NAA, or are you getting 256 EC7 with Mac OS?

Not Bob, but I output DSD256 from M1 to two DACs. One is Spring 1 behind UP Gateway NAA which is on my office loudspeaker system. And another one is RME ADI-2 Pro connected through USB on my office headphone system.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

Not Bob, but I output DSD256 from M1 to two DACs. One is Spring 1 behind UP Gateway NAA which is on my office loudspeaker system. And another one is RME ADI-2 Pro connected through USB on my office headphone system.

So the office headphone system is direct from M1?  Does this need a sort of Asio mac driver to get past Core Audio and therefore DSD256?  And what about PCM 16 or 32fs (I don't even know the standard Mac limitations there, if any)?

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

So the office headphone system is direct from M1?  Does this need a sort of Asio mac driver to get past Core Audio and therefore DSD256?  And what about PCM 16 or 32fs (I don't even know the standard Mac limitations there, if any)?

The headphone system is direct from Windows (direct to HA200), macOS (ADI-2 Pro) and Linux (Denafrips Ares II) yes. No, it doesn't need any extra drivers. MacOS works perfectly fine up to 705.6/768k PCM and thus also DSD256 over DoP. And since ADI-2 doesn't even support anything else than DoP it works exactly the same on all three platforms.

32x PCM from Intel Macs work as long as you stick to max 16-bit output, so it works with Holo Spring 2 for example. I have not tested with M1 Mac, because the two devices are located at physically different place.

On 4/20/2021 at 7:14 AM, jamesg11 said:

Miska, re M1 - here’s a go figure result & maybe something to sort?

Noted before that M1 won’t handle dsf256 files (& oddly, if I attempt this, HQP just hangs & I need to ‘force quit’ ... I can’t just hit stop, or anything, & go to another album).

But, I stumbled on my one & only dff256 album & it plays flawlessly at ASDM7EC 256 wide 48k.

(Is it trivial to convert dsf to dff?)

Miska, can you comment on my earlier curious finding, as above?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I'm getting a May this week (to demo, etc) so my original 8fs Holo Spring KTE may well be relegated to my home office setup (RAAL Requisite SR1As).  So if I use an M1 as the home office RAAL server I am limited to 352.8k/384k PCM (and thus DSD128 DoP?) or does the Spring allow DSD256 DoP even though it can't truly play 16fs?

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

Bob, what is your NAA, or are you getting 256 EC7 with Mac OS?

Hi Ted, I have the M1 running over the network to a Sonore opticalRendu with a Sonore FMC in-between. My DAC is a Holo Spring 2 KTE. Works flawlessly. I am using Roon on another machine to feed the M1. I would advise keeping Roon on a separate machine if possible.

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

So if I use an M1 as the home office RAAL server I am limited to 352.8k/384k PCM (and thus DSD128 DoP?)

Yes... Since Spring 1 supports only 8x PCM.

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

or does the Spring allow DSD256 DoP even though it can't truly play 16fs?

No, because of above. But Spring 2 does support up to 32x PCM and you can do DSD256 from macOS. In addition Spring 1 supports DSD only at multiples of 44.1k base rate. While Spring 2 supports both 44.1k and 48k bases.

But I can do up to DSD512 with my Spring 1 from my M1 Mac Mini, since I have a Linux-based NAA. And on macOS the output never goes near CoreAudio and thus doesn't need things like DoP.

And the RME ADI-2 in question supports 16x PCM and DSD256 (both 44.1k and 48k bases).

11 hours ago, bobflood said:

Thanks to all who reported their results with the M1 Mini. I received mine yesterday and after a day of playing with it, I am very happy with the results. I can do any streamed (Qobuz) resolution up-sampled to DSD256 using ASDM7EC and Sinc S (my favorite filter). For the price this machine just cannot be beat. One would spend at least three times as much for an Intel or AMD machine that could beat it. When the M1X arrives in the fall it will be interesting to see what it can do with HQP but if you need a machine for HQP now, this is certainly a very good option.

Re Sinc S, just noted that it will handle dxd rates, whilst polysinc ext-2 will not.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

14 hours ago, luisma said:

The M1 mini definitely looks like a good alternative for an inexpensive HQP setup, @Miska do you think running Ubuntu on the Mini will provide a good and stable platform for HQPe?

No, because Apple is not releasing technical info about the M1 and thus I have some doubts on how good the Linux performance on it would be.

13 hours ago, Miska said:

I found the bug and in process of fixing it for next release...

Great!

And that includes the odd discovery that the M1 will play dff256 but not dsf256 files (ASDM7 EC to 256)?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

I am looking to set up a dedicated machine for HQPlayer. My goal is to initially be able to upsample redbook files to DSD256 with the EC modulators or DSD512 without the EC modulators, and use convolution for room correction (83k and 96k taps).

The machine does not need to be silent, and I don't care much about having fans blasting as it will be in a closet on another floor of the house feeding a NAA.

My 2 options would be to either get a base Mac mini M1, or to build a small PC around a i7-10700K (would require everything except SSD/HDD and peripherals, and I would wait before adding a dedicated video card).

Ultimately I would like to get to DSD512 with EC modulators when CPUs permit. So when the time comes I could either resell the M1 (as Macs seem to keep their prices quite well on the used market) and upgrade to whatever new Mac mini/iMac, or upgrade the barebones PC with a new CPU. 

Assuming that I would try and keep the PC build around the same price as the M1 (if it's even possible), which would you guys recommend? 

Thanks

39 minutes ago, Druid said:

Hi all, 

I am looking to set up a dedicated machine for HQPlayer. My goal is to initially be able to upsample redbook files to DSD256 with the EC modulators or DSD512 without the EC modulators, and use convolution for room correction (83k and 96k taps).

The machine does not need to be silent, and I don't care much about having fans blasting as it will be in a closet on another floor of the house feeding a NAA.

My 2 options would be to either get a base Mac mini M1, or to build a small PC around a i7-10700K (would require everything except SSD/HDD and peripherals, and I would wait before adding a dedicated video card).

Ultimately I would like to get to DSD512 with EC modulators when CPUs permit. So when the time comes I could either resell the M1 (as Macs seem to keep their prices quite well on the used market) and upgrade to whatever new Mac mini/iMac, or upgrade the barebones PC with a new CPU. 

Assuming that I would try and keep the PC build around the same price as the M1 (if it's even possible), which would you guys recommend? 

Thanks

I have the M1 Mini. It will cost you two to three times as the price of the M1 to build a Intel based machine and unless you add an expensive GPU you will not have any advantage over the M1. Get the 256/16 version and set the HQP buffer to 100 ms and you will be able to do DSD 256/ASDM7EC from any resolution base file using most filters.

37 minutes ago, Mops911 said:

not at all, I've got a Dell for around $1700 when it was on sale in April with i9-10900k and even a low-end Quadro card with allows for some offloading.

$899 x 2 = $1,798. The M1 is hard to beat for the money.

40 minutes ago, Mops911 said:

not at all, I've got a Dell for around $1700 when it was on sale in April with i9-10900k and even a low-end Quadro card with allows for some offloading.