IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

On 3/21/2021 at 12:36 PM, SwissBear said:

Although the OS of the Mac Mini is far from being optimised

I think Apple has optimized it quite well... ;)

On 3/21/2021 at 12:36 PM, SwissBear said:

I have difficulties to see the upside of assembling an Intel machine for the sole usage of running HQPlayer.

You can do much heavier cases with bigger Intel or AMD CPUs. The low power cores of M1 will pretty quickly run out of steam and the high power cores are needed for the modulators.

My i5-7600T can do pretty much exactly the same as the M1...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 3/21/2021 at 11:36 AM, SwissBear said:

I was surprised to notice that the new machine I assembled, based on an i7-10700, and running Windows or Linux Embedded was not able to overcome my Mac Mini M1 running HQPlayer. 

Same limitations in running DSD 256 with ASDM7EC modulator and poly-sinc-ext2 filter: limited in practice to Redbook and obliged to switch to other filters for higher res input formats (I am running a quite heavy 2 channels convolution though). 

Although the OS of the Mac Mini is far from being optimised, I have difficulties to see the upside of assembling an Intel machine for the sole usage of running HQPlayer.

Am I missing something ?

Seems I would have to chose between HQP Desktop + MacOS on the M1 or get a Intel machine if I want Embedded and HQPOS. The most attractive point towards Embedded is to keep Audirvana, I use nowadays, for Library mgmt and Qobuz I could send to Embedded.

I also like the idea of a dedicated trimmed OS unpolluted by messaging etc ; but, bottom line, using same filters/modulators/output is there really an audible difference in SQ between MacOS on M1 and HQPOS on your Intel machine ?

HQ Player 4 Mac Mini M1

On 3/19/2021 at 6:32 PM, StreamFidelity said:

The Keces P8 12V / 8A supplies the CPU EPS directly. This is not possible with the Keces P8 20V / 8A, because the 24 pin ATX connection has to deliver 3.3V, 5V and 12V. This is what the DC-ATX converter is for.

A direct connection would be possible with the JCAT OPTIMO ATX. 😉

Please note that the OPTIMO ATX supports CPUs up to 95W TDP. It is not recommended to use with CPUs rated higher.  I write this as I know that some hqplayer users have more powerful CPUs in their machines (not  to mention very powerful graphic cards)

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

Note for those using 5xx series AMD chipset and 5000-series CPUs, there's now at least for ASUS a new BIOS that is supposed to fix at least some of the USB issues:

1103883772_Screenshotfrom2021-03-2419-27-00.png.3e3a0f5c85cf3278926820e4e4a5fa26.png

This has been my biggest complaint with my desktop PC, and a huge pain in the ass.

No electron left behind.

Fo those of you building an HQPlayer machine/server that is Windows 10-based, are you using any Windows cleanup tools to reduce clutter and reduce non-audio processes?  I hear something about MinorityClean.  I use an older AO on my current server, but had help manually cleaning out other processes years ago.  I'm looking for something that works automagically, with a few manual edits maybe?  I worry that turning off services manually may have ramifications if these services are first needed by the 3rd party cleanup tools. 

2 minutes ago, ted_b said:

HQPlayer machine/server that is Windows 10-based, are you using any Windows cleanup tools to reduce clutter and reduce non-audio processes?

Ted,  I have been using windows server 19 for 2 years with HQP 4.xx and Audiophile optimizer 3.0 and Fidelizer pro.  They work together nicely and I have no issues.  I also manually go into Task manager and manually shut down a few processes via services in TM.

Yes, I've run HQP on Linux and Windows, and prefer the latter.  I think it's mainly ASIO drivers, but who knows.  I've also done the Windows server 2012 vs 2016 thing and am kinda tired of that.  I will PM you about getting Windows 10 LTSC and using tools pre-install.  Thx

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

Fo those of you building an HQPlayer machine/server that is Windows 10-based, are you using any Windows cleanup tools to reduce clutter and reduce non-audio processes?  I hear something about MinorityClean.  I use an older AO on my current server, but had help manually cleaning out other processes years ago.  I'm looking for something that works automagically, with a few manual edits maybe?  I worry that turning off services manually may have ramifications if these services are first needed by the 3rd party cleanup tools. 

At least you have risk that services needed by HQPlayer get disabled. (some things don't make HQPlayer malfunction, they just cause complaints in the log and such since they cause just performance degradation)

I don't use any. Just set Power Profile to "High Performance" or "Ultimate Performance" (available on Windows 10 for Workstations, but you can hack Windows 10 Pro to have the setting too).

I would like to know what is the lowest power CPU that can run HQPlayer at DSD 256 upsampling without any restriction on modulator or filter type. I tried to check the posts on the mac mini M1  and,  while I understand it will do DSD 256, I am still not sure if it can keep up with all modulator and filter combinations. Also, is it correct that in case of using a MAC, an NAA may be required because MAC can only output DSD over PCM (and many DACs will not accept the sample rates required)?

Has anybody tried the intel i7 "T" processors which run at a base frequency of 2.0Ghz for use with HQplayer? They are used in many very compact computers, which is the reason I am interested in them.

4 hours ago, Sagittarius said:

I would like to know what is the lowest power CPU that can run HQPlayer at DSD 256 upsampling without any restriction on modulator or filter type. I tried to check the posts on the mac mini M1  and,  while I understand it will do DSD 256, I am still not sure if it can keep up with all modulator and filter combinations. Also, is it correct that in case of using a MAC, an NAA may be required because MAC can only output DSD over PCM (and many DACs will not accept the sample rates required)?

Has anybody tried the intel i7 "T" processors which run at a base frequency of 2.0Ghz for use with HQplayer? They are used in many very compact computers, which is the reason I am interested in them.

I’m too, and I don’t know which cool methods is the best keeping temprature around 50-60’C. Offcause less noisy and interference from fans !

5 hours ago, Sagittarius said:

I would like to know what is the lowest power CPU that can run HQPlayer at DSD 256 upsampling without any restriction on modulator or filter type.

If you want to git rid of restrictions on filter type, you'd likely want to have a suitable GPU instead.

5 hours ago, Sagittarius said:

Has anybody tried the intel i7 "T" processors which run at a base frequency of 2.0Ghz for use with HQplayer?

I've said couple of times that I have HQPlayer Embedded running on i5-7600T. So i7 models should be fine too. Being quad-core, it can do ASDM7EC to DSD256 with poly-sinc-ext2. But since there are just two cores left for running filters, it cannot do very heavy filters.

But note that I'm pretty certain same won't work under Windows on that hardware!

54 minutes ago, anhton82 said:

I’m too, and I don’t know which cool methods is the best keeping temprature around 50-60’C. Offcause less noisy and interference from fans !

Water cooling or fans with big heatsinks. Both of course have fans, but it is not a problem if you use big slow rotating fans in a big enough case.

Here are my temps of i5-7600T in Streacom FC10 chassis with three heatpipes (fourth didn't fit properly at the time):

jussi@silent:~$ sensors
acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +119.0°C)
temp2:        +29.8°C  (crit = +119.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +68.0°C  (high = +74.0°C, crit = +80.0°C)
Core 0:        +69.0°C  (high = +74.0°C, crit = +80.0°C)
Core 1:        +57.0°C  (high = +74.0°C, crit = +80.0°C)
Core 2:        +68.0°C  (high = +74.0°C, crit = +80.0°C)
Core 3:        +56.0°C  (high = +74.0°C, crit = +80.0°C)

After about two hours doing poly-sinc-ext2 and ASDM7EC to DSD256. (Tidal streaming with mConnect Player in this case)

On 3/26/2021 at 12:41 PM, Sagittarius said:

I already wrote above that with an "old" i5-3700T, I was running HQP with ASDM7EC in DSD 128.
But it's still ... limited.

On my current server, i5-8400, I also posted some information on how it works under Win10 LTSC (about 40 processes including 23 windows processes / AO3, personal optimization, HPET off, ProcessLasso & MC).
The CPU is "blocked" at 4ghz without turbo (2.8 base, bus speed at 102,7 Mhz / 6 core, no hyperthreading).
No problem for DSD 256 / ASDM7EC with redbook or Tidal MQA 96/128 as input.
It's a problem with DSD 64 with volume management >> DSD 256 (dropouts..). 
On the other hand, no problem: DSD 64 > DSD 128 / ASDM7EC

The only option or new feature I will ask Miska  😉 :
Choose the output rate level in case of DSD input.
Without volume control, DSD 64 is output as DSD 64 (DSD Direct) but with volume control, it is output as DSD 256... and then the system doesn't follow.

The system: i5-8600 on a Gigabyte motherboard works in fanless mode in an H3 box. (temperature: between 50/60 °).

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

22 hours ago, Miska said:

Water cooling or fans with big heatsinks. Both of course have fans, but it is not a problem if you use big slow rotating fans in a big enough case.

In my opinion, the cpu that happens to be no problem under dsd256 +7ec is now the most cost-effective, anyway, dsd512 +7ec+xtr can't solve it now. The problem that i7 can solve, choosing i9 is a waste.

7 hours ago, Zauurx said:

The only option or new feature I will ask Miska  😉 :
Choose the output rate level in case of DSD input.
Without volume control, DSD 64 is output as DSD 64 (DSD Direct) but with volume control, it is output as DSD 256... and then the system doesn't follow.

The system: i5-8600 on a Gigabyte motherboard works in fanless mode in an H3 box. (temperature: between 50/60 °).

With Direct SDM, there's no DSD processing apart from possible speaker delays. So it is very light.

When you have SDM processing enabled, it is very much beneficial to upsample at the same time, just like with PCM sources.

You can choose the output rate limit. The same limit applies to both PCM and DSD sources. If it works for PCM source, doing it for DSD sources doesn't change the load much. You can try to adjust the SDM Integrator and SDM Conversion algorithms for the load, but the load differences are not that big.

5 hours ago, fishflower said:

In my opinion, the cpu that happens to be no problem under dsd256 +7ec is now the most cost-effective, anyway, dsd512 +7ec+xtr can't solve it now. The problem that i7 can solve, choosing i9 is a waste.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to run convolution, or some of the heavier single stage filters, then i9 doesn't go wasted. CPU choice primarily depends on what you want to do with it.

1 hour ago, ripples said:

I see intel  11th gen supporting AVX-512. ( even a xps13 laptop 11th gen)

does this mean it will require lower cpu speed to run dsd256 EC7 ?

Looks like they have updated the specs at ark.intel.com and 11th gen would support AVX-512.

What it means for HQPlayer remains to be seen when someone tests it.