IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

11 hours ago, Janosch Simon said:

thx Miska im not so familiar with ubuntu have to google a little bit thx :) the custom kernel your revering where can i find this? sonds like a good plan to start with a clean plate :)

It is all linked through my web page. I don't want to post links here, because they will go out of date sooner or later. See the link under download buttons on the product page:

https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

But if you are new to Linux, you can get started with standard Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 install. And then proceed with enhancements.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Couple questions I hope are relevant to this topic.

I recently built a new PC with a AMD 5900X, Nvidia RTX 3080, and Windows 10 Pro. I have CUDA offload checked but I still get random pauses upsampling to DSD256 and ASDM7EC. Is this to be expected?

I'm considering using an i7 9700k in an HDPlex H3 case to upsample to DSD256 and ASDM7EC using Audiolinux lxqt and HQPlayer Desktop. Does the HDPlex H3 have enough passive cooling for this hardware/software combination?

Thanks!

19 hours ago, djn04 said:

I recently built a new PC with a AMD 5900X, Nvidia RTX 3080, and Windows 10 Pro. I have CUDA offload checked but I still get random pauses upsampling to DSD256 and ASDM7EC. Is this to be expected?

Not really, I have a 5600X on an H5 with no video card and I don't experience any drops with poli-sinc-ext2, other filters might but I haven't tested. I'm not doing convolution either and since no video card no CUDA.

I am considering building a PC (probably with dual boot Windows and Linux) for HQPlayer, to use as a server together with a NAA.

When looking at the performances displayed, it looks like may cores are idle. 

So is there a point to buy an i9 10900K vs i7 10700K ?

Would a Xeon with even less cores be an option ?

Also, is there a preference for Ryzen compared to Intel ? Which model then ?

Finally, what are the minimum specs for a graphic card (I am not playing games) just to offload some processing to the GPU) ?

On the French speaking forum, many users are advocating Windows Server 2019. Any interest to run HQPlayer ?

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

When looking at the performances displayed, it looks like may cores are idle. 

Cores being idle depends on number of channels, your filter selection and if you do other processing like convolution.

21 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

So is there a point to buy an i9 10900K vs i7 10700K ?

I would guess 10700K performs fine too, I just have not tested it myself.

22 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

Would a Xeon with even less cores be an option ?

It depends on clock speeds, but likely you won't save money that way though.

24 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

Finally, what are the minimum specs for a graphic card (I am not playing games) just to offload some processing to the GPU) ?

Not really minimum specs, but for it to be useful, it needs to be faster processing the given tasks than the CPU in order to have benefit. Otherwise CPU will just end up sitting and waiting for the GPU to finish it's work.

On 2/19/2021 at 9:01 PM, djn04 said:

Couple questions I hope are relevant to this topic.

I'm considering using an i7 9700k in an HDPlex H3 case to upsample to DSD256 and ASDM7EC using Audiolinux lxqt and HQPlayer Desktop. Does the HDPlex H3 have enough passive cooling for this hardware/software combination?

I have HQPlayer Desktop running nicely on 5800X on Ubuntu Desktop 20.04. No problems doing DSD256 with ASDM7EC.

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

It depends on clock speeds, but likely you won't save money that way though.

Thanks Jussi.

It was more about lowering the power usage (80W vs 125W) in order to move to a LPSU if necessary.

Any idea about Intel vs Ryzen and Windows Server vs Windows 10 ?

5 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

It was more about lowering the power usage (80W vs 125W) in order to move to a LPSU if necessary.

I have just two Xeon's. Older quad-core Xeon E5v3 that cannot do ASDM7EC at DSD256. And newer Xeon W-2245 that can. But neither is particularly low TDP.

You'd need to try and see how some specific model performs, it is pretty hard to say without trying.

5 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

Any idea about Intel vs Ryzen and Windows Server vs Windows 10 ?

Windows Server editions are not supported for HQPlayer, only (stock, unmodified) Windows 10... ;)

6 hours ago, Miska said:

I have HQPlayer Desktop running nicely on 5800X on Ubuntu Desktop 20.04. No problems doing DSD256 with ASDM7EC.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the USB issues AMD announced recently. I'm using x570 mobo and have a 3080 running PCIE gen 4. Seems like this combination has created issues with USB DACs.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-admits-there-are-problems-with-usb-devices-on-500-series-motherboards

I'll try some BIOS settings to see if I can figure it out.

Apart from Apple's M1, Core i5-7600T is lowest power (35W TDP) server I have capable of doing DSD256 with ASDM7EC:

Screenshot_2021-02-22_20-34-41.png.a866b8125bcc1a57f17e776b2054cab5.png

Close to the limits, but still doing it reliably. In this case, cores running at 3.6 GHz.

This with the new AMD/Intel optimized build. OS is Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS, with my custom kernel.

I think I'll want to test this with the new 10th gen T-series CPU as well.

11 minutes ago, djn04 said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with the USB issues AMD announced recently. I'm using x570 mobo and have a 3080 running PCIE gen 4. Seems like this combination has created issues with USB DACs.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-admits-there-are-problems-with-usb-devices-on-500-series-motherboards

I'll try some BIOS settings to see if I can figure it out.

I've seen this with my B550, with the USB2 ports. But not with the USB3+ ports.

32 minutes ago, Miska said:

Apart from Apple's M1, Core i5-7600T is lowest power (35W TDP) server I have capable of doing DSD256 with ASDM7EC:

Close to the limits, but still doing it reliably. In this case, cores running at 3.6 GHz.

This with the new AMD/Intel optimized build. OS is Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS, with my custom kernel.

Great!

In HQPe is it focal 4.22.1 ?

56 minutes ago, Miska said:

Do you have any experience with the 10th generation E-series CPU (TDP 65W) ?

14 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

Thank you. I will start with the K series, and see how much headroom I have given my expectations and if I can move down to the E series in order to operate fanless.

For me, fanless is not an issue for many reasons. One is that fans can be quiet enough. And second is that HQPlayer server can be placed outside of listening room where loud fans don't matter... So usually I just look at raw performance.

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

For me, fanless is not an issue for many reasons. One is that fans can be quiet enough. And second is that HQPlayer server can be placed outside of listening room where loud fans don't matter... So usually I just look at raw performance.

I'm on the same page, and very much enjoying the way you have implemented NAA for this purpose. Just thinking about other and complementary options. Thanks anyway. This will give me the opportunity to enjoy other implementations of your software. I'am already very enthusiastic about testing the Linux version. Pretty much less enthusiastic about the Windows flavour, but I will definitely give it a try :-)

I am looking into a pure music server, no games and fanless (because I can ;-))

Is a GPU better at upsampling to 256 ASDM7EC than a CPU? (no room correction or convolution)?

Lets say for example we have a cooling capacity of 200W. Is it better to get a 200W CPU or a 100W CPU and 100w gpu?

Or the other way, is Cuda more efficient at pure upsampling that x86? (I hope that makes sense)

Thanks much

Tom