Jump to content
sbenyo

Best CPU for hqplayer

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, andygaof said:

but, the question is how to OC the CPU in Linux. once I set the frequency byoned the CPU information, it do not work. the maximum I can set is 3.6GHz for intel 9700K. 

 

BIOS clock and ratio settings should work the same on both.


Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miska said:

 

BIOS clock and ratio settings should work the same on both.

 

correct me if I am wrong.

 

I do not agree with this.

 

in windows 10, once you set for example 4.4 GHz in BIOS, CPU will working at 4.4 GHz if the power plan is High performance.

 

but in ubuntu, whatever how you set CPU freq in BIOS, system will follow the configuration in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/. it will be between the scaling_min_freq and scaling_max_freq, and scaling_max_freq will be the CPU highest freq of the CPUinfo. 

 

even you set 4.4GHz in BIOS, but in Ubuntu, if you do not touch the configurations, then, for Intel 9700K the scaling_max_freq is 4.9GHz not 4.4.GHz.

 

it's a big difference between Ubuntu and Windows 10. To avoid too high temperature, I have to set this script with systemd, when the system startup.

 

[email protected]:~$ cat /usr/local/bin/setmaxcpufreq.sh
#!/bin/bash

echo 4400000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 4400000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 4400000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 4400000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 4400000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu4/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 4400000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu5/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 4400000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu6/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 4400000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu7/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

 

after this, CPU will work on 4.4GHz NOT 4.6GHz.

 

[email protected]:~$ cpufreq-info | grep 'current CPU'
  current CPU frequency is 4.40 GHz.
  current CPU frequency is 4.40 GHz.
  current CPU frequency is 4.40 GHz.
  current CPU frequency is 4.40 GHz.
  current CPU frequency is 4.40 GHz.
  current CPU frequency is 4.40 GHz.
  current CPU frequency is 4.40 GHz.
  current CPU frequency is 4.40 GHz.

 

then the maximum temperature will drop to 74 compare 4.6GHz's 89. CPU usage will hit 100% with 4.4GHz setup compare about 92% maximum with 4.6GHz. the sound quality is almost same, and no dropout. this is better for me. Because my PC case do not have any fan inside.

 

 

Screenshot from 2020-01-25 23-55-35.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miska said:

 

BIOS clock and ratio settings should work the same on both.

 and my mistake. for Intel 9700K, the maximum I can set is 4.9GHz, not 3.6GHz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andygaof said:

 and my mistake. for Intel 9700K, the maximum I can set is 4.9GHz, not 3.6GHz.

 

In most CPUs the maximum turbo frequency is not for all cores, it is only for limited subset of cores. i9-9900KS is rare exception to this which allows all-core turbo of 5 GHz.

 

Anyway, I've never tried to overclock anything, so I haven't paid much attention to details. But I think the BIOS clock scaling multiplier and the base frequency (for example 100 MHz) should apply.

 


Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, andygaof said:

...then the maximum temperature will drop to 74 compare 4.6GHz's 89.

 

Is the display correct that the temperature for Kingston SSD A400 is 97°C? The recommended operating temperature is: 0°C to 70°C. There is a risk of a system failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Miska said:

Windows seems to be doing something strange, and annoyingly hard to figure out why it behaves so differently with the same code...

 

It only becomes visible when the machine is pushed near to it's limits...

Quite possible that you may need to do two different build configurations one for windows, other Linux/Mac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yviena said:

Quite possible that you may need to do two different build configurations one for windows, other Linux/Mac.

 

Like??

 

Windows needs some sword and sledgehammer.

 

Meanwhile, macOS is behaving sensibly...

 


Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Miska said:

 

Like??

 

Windows needs some sword and sledgehammer.

 

Meanwhile, macOS is behaving sensibly...

 

Windows scheduler has always been kind of stupid though, it's not even truly SMT-aware,, also could just be that due to windows quirks what works great for Linux/Mac works worse for windows, it also doesn't help that they dont really have a QA team anymore for windows...

 

We can see in benchmarks also that windows struggles with higher amount of threads compared to Linux.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

 

Is the display correct that the temperature for Kingston SSD A400 is 97°C? The recommended operating temperature is: 0°C to 70°C. There is a risk of a system failure.

something wrong,it's always 97. I touch the Kingston SSD, the temperature is lower than my hand. I think software do not get the right information of Kingston sensor.

 

But the PC case is really hot when working on 4.6GHz. 4.4GHz is acceptable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, andygaof said:

something wrong,it's always 97. I touch the Kingston SSD, the temperature is lower than my hand. I think software do not get the right information of Kingston sensor.

 

In Windows you can try HWMonitor😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Miska :

What is the CHEAPEST CPU or bundled ready made machine to run the new EC modulators including ASDM7EC with Hi Res PCM and DSD sources with an output of mere DSD 128

 

Nota Bene : I use full range convolution

 

you said you would do some testing back home after Christmas and I understand you had better to do

 

I have to give back the MBAir I use to front Embedded with Audirvana and rather than looking for a replacement for that machine I'm considering fronting a new machine with my MBPr

 

I'm not in the mood to purchase a new 256 capable DAC any time soon ; my main issue being room and furniture vibrating with some tracks I don't feel like spending on details (such as DAC capability) as long as I can't move


HQP Embedded  convolving REW + RePhase created filters for correcting frequency and time domains on a cooled mid 2012 15" rMacBP > Cat 6 UTP Ethernet> Airport TC > Cat 6 UTP Ethernet > NAA (Miska's image on UP NUC)> 2.0 certified Supra USB > Green Regen > TEAC UD 501> (balanced output) >Cardas Golden Cross> JRRG all balanced pre> Cabasse 4 ways 8 amps active system played at realistic SPL 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 2:59 PM, Le Concombre Masqué said:

@Miska :

What is the CHEAPEST CPU or bundled ready made machine to run the new EC modulators including ASDM7EC with Hi Res PCM and DSD sources with an output of mere DSD 128

 

Nota Bene : I use full range convolution

 

you said you would do some testing back home after Christmas and I understand you had better to do

 

I have to give back the MBAir I use to front Embedded with Audirvana and rather than looking for a replacement for that machine I'm considering fronting a new machine with my MBPr

 

I'm not in the mood to purchase a new 256 capable DAC any time soon ; my main issue being room and furniture vibrating with some tracks I don't feel like spending on details (such as DAC capability) as long as I can't move

up; anybody with a machine with the required performance, please share


HQP Embedded  convolving REW + RePhase created filters for correcting frequency and time domains on a cooled mid 2012 15" rMacBP > Cat 6 UTP Ethernet> Airport TC > Cat 6 UTP Ethernet > NAA (Miska's image on UP NUC)> 2.0 certified Supra USB > Green Regen > TEAC UD 501> (balanced output) >Cardas Golden Cross> JRRG all balanced pre> Cabasse 4 ways 8 amps active system played at realistic SPL 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

up; anybody with a machine with the required performance, please share

 

I think I have some numbers from my passive cooled i5-7600T running Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS, my 4.19 kernel and latest HQPlayer Embedded (4.14.0). In these cases CPU is running with cores in turbo about 3.6 GHz.

 

Note, these are without convolution or other things like matrix. With convolution YMMV, I could almost bet it is not going to work for DSD, for PCM likely yes.

 

Screenshot_2020-01-30_01-46-37.thumb.png.ffa379149738a1ba11d5c24c134231c8.png

 

Screenshot_2020-01-30_01-53-25.thumb.png.bdff771822b4b97e8b24675814b2f784.png

 

 

This machine actually managed to also do DSD256, which I think is slowest machine ever to do DSD256 with ASDM7EC. The CPU loads are so close to 100% in these cases that even slightest other blip form some other process with make it drop out. Sorry, didn't remember to refresh the page, first is for RedBook and second is for DSD64.

 

Screenshot_2020-01-30_01-48-55.thumb.png.0cd2e6a76e0a90ce3fbaca6e8fcf2292.png

 

Screenshot_2020-01-30_01-54-30.thumb.png.ed6c50d1d58014479bb46eaa3428fd8e.png

 


Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Miska said:

 

I think I have some numbers from my passive cooled i5-7600T running Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS, my 4.19 kernel and latest HQPlayer Embedded (4.14.0). In these cases CPU is running with cores in turbo about 3.6 GHz.

 

Note, these are without convolution or other things like matrix. With convolution YMMV, I could almost bet it is not going to work for DSD, for PCM likely yes.

 

Screenshot_2020-01-30_01-46-37.thumb.png.ffa379149738a1ba11d5c24c134231c8.png

 

Screenshot_2020-01-30_01-53-25.thumb.png.bdff771822b4b97e8b24675814b2f784.png

 

 

This machine actually managed to also do DSD256, which I think is slowest machine ever to do DSD256 with ASDM7EC. The CPU loads are so close to 100% in these cases that even slightest other blip form some other process with make it drop out. Sorry, didn't remember to refresh the page, first is for RedBook and second is for DSD64.

 

Screenshot_2020-01-30_01-48-55.thumb.png.0cd2e6a76e0a90ce3fbaca6e8fcf2292.png

 

Screenshot_2020-01-30_01-54-30.thumb.png.ed6c50d1d58014479bb46eaa3428fd8e.png

 

Thank you Jussi,

 

I can't live without convolution and matrix and I know my present machine with i7 3615QM can NOT do even ASDM5EC with DSD and convolution

 

How about a machine  with those characteristics :

 

PC Intel i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8x 3.6 GHz, ASUS, 16 Go DDR4, 480 Go SSD Solid State Disk, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

 

such a machine is sold on Amazon by Memory PC from Germany for 789 euros, that is half of a dream server with i9 9900ks 

 

https://www.amazon.fr/Memory-PC-i7-9700K-Graphics-Windows/dp/B07NCWVDFS?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1

 

BTW 1x ext2 and Nx mqa mp are my settings too


HQP Embedded  convolving REW + RePhase created filters for correcting frequency and time domains on a cooled mid 2012 15" rMacBP > Cat 6 UTP Ethernet> Airport TC > Cat 6 UTP Ethernet > NAA (Miska's image on UP NUC)> 2.0 certified Supra USB > Green Regen > TEAC UD 501> (balanced output) >Cardas Golden Cross> JRRG all balanced pre> Cabasse 4 ways 8 amps active system played at realistic SPL 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

I can't live without convolution and matrix and I know my present machine with i7 3615QM can NOT do even ASDM5EC with DSD and convolution

 

How about a machine  with those characteristics :

 

PC Intel i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8x 3.6 GHz, ASUS, 16 Go DDR4, 480 Go SSD Solid State Disk, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

 

such a machine is sold on Amazon by Memory PC from Germany for 789 euros, that is half of a dream server with i9 9900ks 

 

https://www.amazon.fr/Memory-PC-i7-9700K-Graphics-Windows/dp/B07NCWVDFS?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1

 

BTW 1x ext2 and Nx mqa mp are my settings too

 

Maybe, doing convolution for DSD generates quite a bit of load, depending on the particular convolution filter.

 

Since I don't have that machine and your filters, it is hard to say.

 


Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Miska said:

 

Maybe, doing convolution for DSD generates quite a bit of load, depending on the particular convolution filter.

 

Since I don't have that machine and your filters, it is hard to say.

 

so a i7 9700 is no guarantee to be able to output DSD 128 from 64 with full range convolution (352,8 1 Mo files) and ASDM7EC modulator ?

Anyone with such a machine and using convolution and matrix please report


HQP Embedded  convolving REW + RePhase created filters for correcting frequency and time domains on a cooled mid 2012 15" rMacBP > Cat 6 UTP Ethernet> Airport TC > Cat 6 UTP Ethernet > NAA (Miska's image on UP NUC)> 2.0 certified Supra USB > Green Regen > TEAC UD 501> (balanced output) >Cardas Golden Cross> JRRG all balanced pre> Cabasse 4 ways 8 amps active system played at realistic SPL 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

so a i7 9700 is no guarantee to be able to output DSD 128 from 64 with full range convolution (352,8 1 Mo files) and ASDM7EC modulator ?

 

Only guarantee is to try out the specific convolution filters on the specific machine and see if it works. There is no simple answer since the convolution filters vary a lot case by case.

 


Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

so a i7 9700 is no guarantee to be able to output DSD 128 from 64 with full range convolution (352,8 1 Mo files) and ASDM7EC modulator ?

Anyone with such a machine and using convolution and matrix please report

I have this running DSD256, with convolution, without matrix. Runs all filters except closedform16M. CPU load around 50% average per core. Max temp approx 65 degr C.

Edit - my CPU is a 9700K....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AudioXP said:

I have this running DSD256, with convolution, without matrix. Runs all filters except closedform16M. CPU load around 50% average per core. Max temp approx 65 degr C.

Edit - my CPU is a 9700K....

good news, thank you


HQP Embedded  convolving REW + RePhase created filters for correcting frequency and time domains on a cooled mid 2012 15" rMacBP > Cat 6 UTP Ethernet> Airport TC > Cat 6 UTP Ethernet > NAA (Miska's image on UP NUC)> 2.0 certified Supra USB > Green Regen > TEAC UD 501> (balanced output) >Cardas Golden Cross> JRRG all balanced pre> Cabasse 4 ways 8 amps active system played at realistic SPL 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Miska

 

With 430, Intel 9700K. Found some thing strange in Ubuntu. If I check Multicore DSP. Then a lot of dropout, same as windows 10. If I grey the Multicore DSP, it works perfect.

 

Will go back to Windows 10 to see if it has the same problem. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

confirmed that grey the Multicore DSP. Intel 9700K, No OC, default BIOS setting, no high performance power plan, default windows 10 pro setting, Balanced.

 

HQPlayer 4301 work perfect with poly-sinc-xtr-lp, ADSM7EC, DSD256. 

 

CPU usage is about 61%

 

Capture.JPG.1b1fa05b638a4058753cb2dd993fc201.JPG

 

Capture1.thumb.JPG.98d7da7ce18080c12d0ab52a066578f6.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do some test for AMD 3700x. Hopeful it's useful to address the AMD issue.

 

HQ 420, Multicore DSP checked, OC to 4.2GHz or above is the only setup that can do poly-sinc-xtr-lp, ADSM7EC DSD 256.

 

Capture10.thumb.JPG.91e3340b29551218cf1013b5ad285ea6.JPG

 

in this case, the CPU usage is about 50%

 

1262188228_Capture12420MulticoreDSPChecked.JPG.7e6ecb0cf5793b1d1b8c3b0266b3eedb.JPG

 

grey the Multicore DSP, CPU usage drop to 30%. a lot of dropout.

 

1522737204_Capture13420Multicoregrey.JPG.68030542d385c71b1c1a8c97002bb915.JPG

 

HQ 4301 whatever Multicore checked or grey. the CPU usage is 30%-40%. lots of dropout.

 

515599535_Capture11MulticoreDSPChecked.JPG.21f57fdfa835e47d500a94872bc29745.JPG

Multicore checked

 

Capture9.JPG.cbd3f8c05078e2e08741ac656d03be27.JPG

Multicore grey

 

One more thing. If do not OC 3700x. the CPU usage also drop to 30%, lots of dropout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, andygaof said:

With 430, Intel 9700K. Found some thing strange in Ubuntu. If I check Multicore DSP. Then a lot of dropout, same as windows 10. If I grey the Multicore DSP, it works perfect.

 

Yes, by default you should go with multicore set to "auto" = grayed box.

 


Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Miska,

I've sent you two emails asking you to transfer Embedded HQPlayer registration to another pc.  ( from:  6SlCn1/HFvmlwZDm1s2aeA==
    to :  ZT+RzTt2t52pUuniglOC1A== ).

 

Hate to bother you about this but a change in CPU to a higher core has changed fingerprint of the machine.  Thanks for your help in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...