IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

9 hours ago, rickca said:

Have you tried the EC modulators at DSD256?

I have a X3600 and expect the performance to be very close to X3700. 

it can do ASDM5EC DSD256 but not ASDM7EC DSD256.

it will also do ploy-sinc-xtr2 - ASDM7 - DSD512 without GPU, but needs GPU offload for ploy-sinc-xtr-mp - ASDM7 - DSD512.

I use a ASUS Prime X470 and active CPU cooling.

10 hours ago, salaryman said:

Oh, I just search and realize what EC stands for, coz I am still with HQP 3.x.

You can download and try HQP 4 for free but it only works for 30 minutes at time, but would give us a good idea if the 3700x can to the EC ASDM7EC modulators at DSD256.  Also HQP 4.x sounds better than 3.x.

My Ryzen 1800x OC'd to 4.0 GHz and with a Nvidia 1060 GPU for cuda off load can do some DSD256 filters but only with ASDM5EC modulators, it cannot do the 7EC modulators.  Do you overclock your 3700x?  I would guess not as you appear to want to use a fanless case.

Even when  my 3600X is OC’d to 4.3 GHz it cannot do ASDM7EC DSD256 and I got a GTX 1080ti that can do all filters.

best result is drop out every 7-12 seconds.
i am actually a bit surprised that it does not work as it is supposed to work at 4 GHz on intel. It must be some specific instructions intel does faster because overall the Ryzen 3000 series has caught up IPC wise.

I want to mention that I am using AMD 1920x and with latest version 4.1.1 which fixes a major CPU consumption issue it work great, allowing me to use DSD512 with the most extreme filters (non -2) poly-sinc-lp. CUDA offload is not used and no CPU OC is needed.

I think that today this AMD cpu is sold very cheap as there are already newer ones, so it can be a real cost effective solution.

My other experience is with RTX 2070 super which is a new NVIDIA card very close to RTX 2080. For my sad surprise it does not work well with the most extreme filters. I think it's on the edge but not enough. It may be better to try 1080 ti or go all the way to 2080.

10 hours ago, Rune said:

Even when  my 3600X is OC’d to 4.3 GHz it cannot do ASDM7EC DSD256 and I got a GTX 1080ti that can do all filters.

best result is drop out every 7-12 seconds.
i am actually a bit surprised that it does not work as it is supposed to work at 4 GHz on intel. It must be some specific instructions intel does faster because overall the Ryzen 3000 series has caught up IPC wise.

I think @Yviena had some tunings to make it work with 3700X. This may have to do with AMD's CPU microcode revision and "favored cores" on 3rd gen Ryzen where some cores are better than others, and boost possibilities when all cores vs some cores are loaded.

Here's some story and testing about the topic (you can find more if you want to):

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-boost-fix-cores,40398.html

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, Miska said:

I think @Yviena had some tunings to make it work with 3700X. This may have to do with AMD's CPU microcode revision and "favored cores" on 3rd gen Ryzen where some cores are better than others, and boost possibilities when all cores vs some cores are loaded.

Here's some story and testing about the topic (you can find more if you want to):

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-boost-fix-cores,40398.html

I think it's because EC 7 DSD256 needs 4 cores to make it work without dropouts, and the 3600x/3900x is 3+3/3+3+3+3 CCX cores, making it hit the additional latency with  cores on another CCX, while 3700x/3800x is 4+4 cores so the latency associated with cross communication is not hit when I manually assign the cores to only one CCX. 

There's been talks about next Ryzen gen 3 to move to a unified L3 cache so maybe that will mitigate the latency penalty

Coming from an i7-7700K 4.20 GHZ:

• 4 Cores / 8 Threads
  • 8 MB Intel® Smart Cache
  • TPD 91W
  • DDR4-2133
  • 2 Memory Channels

I'm thinking about a new PC dedicated to HQPLAYER and using Windows 2019 Server Core via RAMDisk, JCAT NET Card FEMTO and SOtM tX-USBexp USB Card with sCLK-48.0:

Thanks you in advance for helping!

2 hours ago, Rune said:

is i9-10980XE 3.00 GHz really a better fit for HQPlayer than the 4GHz and All core 5GHz  i9-9900KS to be released in November?

Thanks Rune!

Well, i9-9900KS, here are some elements:

• Pros
    • TDP at 127W against 165W
    • 4.0 GHz / 5.0 GHz  against 3.00 GHz / 4.60 GHz to 4.80 GHz Turbo boosted
    • Price
  • Cons
    • only 16 MB against "24.75 MB Intel® Smart Cache : good for "xtr" filter with DSD512"
    • only 8 / 16  against 18 Cores /36 Threads

So, I really don't know. For HQPlayer and from the SQ's point of view, what is most important? Other opinions are welcome...

5 hours ago, Gato said:

• Is this a good choice?
    • Seasonic PRIME Titanium (600W) Fanless

• Because no “HDPLEX 500W ATX LPSU” at the moment...

I'm looking into a ITX based server, thought I'd start at HDPlex because of the good feedback I read here at AS. But ... there's not much available at HDPlex, most products are sold out. Did the Hong Kong troubles get the best of HDPlex? I hope not... Who can shed a quick light on this? Don't want to go OT too much...

1 hour ago, bluebeat said:

Who can shed a quick light on this?

Send a note to larry <at> hdplex <dot> com and ask him when the next batch of whatever product you want to buy will be available.  Sometimes HDPLEX runs out of stock of something if they have a revised version in the works or if sales simply exceed expectations.

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 2004/HDPLEX 300W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, Gato said:

For HQPlayer and from the SQ's point of view, what is most important? Other opinions are welcome...

After all, what I have read so far is the frequency for the HQPlayer more important than the number of cores.

Grigg Audio Solutions Owner

StreamFidelitys Setup

Sonus Faber Amati Futura | T + A M10 | T + A SDV 3100 HV | fis Audio PC | HFX RipNAS Solid V4 | GigaWatt PC2-EVO + | Solidsteel HJ-3 / HY-A

3 hours ago, Gato said:

For HQPlayer and from the SQ's point of view, what is most important?

In my experience for a SQ standpoint only, more L3 cache sounds better than less and is the reason why I switched to AMD processors.  But if you want to run HQP 4 and its EC modulators then speed seems to be the ruling factor and the upcoming 9900KS would be the winner there.  I still think (or hope) a ryzen 3800x OC'd to 4.5 Ghz would be a reasonable solution to both.

16 hours ago, bluebeat said:

I'm looking into a ITX based server, thought I'd start at HDPlex because of the good feedback I read here at AS. But ... there's not much available at HDPlex, most products are sold out. Did the Hong Kong troubles get the best of HDPlex? I hope not... Who can shed a quick light on this? Don't want to go OT too much...

Larry confirm that a HDPLEX 500W ATX LPSU is in the pipe and could be available December 2019

I got lot of trouble with my new Streacom DB4 fanless built.  Asrock B450 ITX board didn't work with its latest bios.  So I switched to Gigabyte Aorus X570 i Pro WiFi.  Ran into another headache.  My Audiolinux Embedded HQPlayer didn't get along well with my new built.  Sometimes I couldn't enable and run audio services at all and had to resort to make a new usb thumb drive. So I give one-month-trial Euphony a try and everything seems to be ok.

Setup: Ryzen 7 3700X, 16gb Kingston 3200mhz ([email protected]), Gigabyte X570 board, low profile GT730 video card (can be had for less than 30usd).  Euphony-Roon-HQP Embedded, root files loaded in ram.  No overclock.

I can upsampling everything to dsd256 with all modulators except ASDM7EC.  Nothing works on dsd512 (sound dropoff every ten seconds). 

May be I have to tinkering with some parameters a bit as other members here could do dsd512?

19 hours ago, teera_ash said:

May be I have to tinkering with some parameters a bit as other members here could do dsd512?

I have tested the following on my  Ryzen 5 3600X default settings active cooling HQPlayer Desktop windows 10 :

Multicore grey and GPU disabled

poly-sinc-exr-lp-2s -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 OK

poly-sinc-ext -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 OK
poly-sinc-ext2 -> ASDM7 -> DSD512  OK
poly-sinc-mqa-mp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 OK
poly-sinc-exr-lp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 not working
poly-sinc-exr-mp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 not working
poly-sinc-exr-mp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512  not working

12 hours ago, teera_ash said:

No one is doing DSD512 with the EC modulators.

13 hours ago, Rune said:

I have tested the following on my  Ryzen 5 3600X default settings active cooling HQPlayer Desktop windows 10 :

Multicore grey and GPU disabled

poly-sinc-exr-lp-2s -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 OK

poly-sinc-ext -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 OK
poly-sinc-ext2 -> ASDM7 -> DSD512  OK
poly-sinc-mqa-mp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 OK
poly-sinc-exr-lp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 not working
poly-sinc-exr-mp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 not working
poly-sinc-exr-mp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512  not working

Thanks Rune.  I feel at peace now. my 3700x, can do all of the above but l like Poly Sinc  XTR MP, ASDM5EC, DSD256 the most as it gives me deeper bass/low frequency impact on Euphony Roon-HQP Embedded.  And it stretches my system as far as it can go as sometimes it pushes CPU utilisation above 80%.

I cannot help but wonder if anyone has tried a dual (Xeon?) CPU system to achieve EC @ DSD512. Perhaps the load cannot be divided enough for it to be of service. I am debating on replacing my aging system, but am not sure what to buy and I doubt if clock speeds can ever be increased enough to get there alone.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

As a courtesy to those who may be interested.  Today Yesterday Intel announced intent to cut the price of 7th and 9th gen Skylake-X Refresh in half to clear out remaining inventory.  Those building multi-use computers will likely find this of greater interest than anyone going the route of dedicated HQP machines.    

2 hours ago, rando said:

As a courtesy to those who may be interested.  Today Yesterday Intel announced intent to cut the price of 7th and 9th gen Skylake-X Refresh in half to clear out remaining inventory.  Those building multi-use computers will likely find this of greater interest than anyone going the route of dedicated HQP machines.    

Yeah, reason is that Skylake-X is lagging behind current AMD offerings price/performance and Cascade Lake-X is just coming out soon.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers