IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

• 2 weeks later...

I got lot of trouble with my new Streacom DB4 fanless built.  Asrock B450 ITX board didn't work with its latest bios.  So I switched to Gigabyte Aorus X570 i Pro WiFi.  Ran into another headache.  My Audiolinux Embedded HQPlayer didn't get along well with my new built.  Sometimes I couldn't enable and run audio services at all and had to resort to make a new usb thumb drive. So I give one-month-trial Euphony a try and everything seems to be ok.

Setup: Ryzen 7 3700X, 16gb Kingston 3200mhz (run@2400), Gigabyte X570 board, low profile GT730 video card (can be had for less than 30usd).  Euphony-Roon-HQP Embedded, root files loaded in ram.  No overclock.

I can upsampling everything to dsd256 with all modulators except ASDM7EC.  Nothing works on dsd512 (sound dropoff every ten seconds). 

May be I have to tinkering with some parameters a bit as other members here could do dsd512?

13 hours ago, Rune said:

I have tested the following on my  Ryzen 5 3600X default settings active cooling HQPlayer Desktop windows 10 :

Multicore grey and GPU disabled

poly-sinc-exr-lp-2s -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 OK

poly-sinc-ext -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 OK
poly-sinc-ext2 -> ASDM7 -> DSD512  OK
poly-sinc-mqa-mp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 OK
poly-sinc-exr-lp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 not working
poly-sinc-exr-mp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 not working
poly-sinc-exr-mp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512  not working

Thanks Rune.  I feel at peace now. my 3700x, can do all of the above but l like Poly Sinc  XTR MP, ASDM5EC, DSD256 the most as it gives me deeper bass/low frequency impact on Euphony Roon-HQP Embedded.  And it stretches my system as far as it can go as sometimes it pushes CPU utilisation above 80%.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:48 AM, Rune said:

I just ordered the i9-9900KS 😎

I was originally planning to get a Ryzen 3950X, but after testing 3600X I am not 100% convinced that the 3950 will be able to do ASDM7EC DSD256.

I have 3700X.  It can do ASDM5EC,  xtr-mp, DSD256 virtually free of any problem with Audiolinux at base Freq.  This is 8 cores while a 3950X is 16 cores.  

• 4 weeks later...
Today I tried to use hqp asdm7ec xtr-filter at dsd256.  The sound clipped around 30 seconds interval on my Ryzen 7 3700X overclocked.

It was almost worked without cuda off load.  But when I looked at the cpu load, it indicated that only the first 7 threads were utilized at 35%-70%.  While threads 8-16 were used less than 1%.  Temperature hit 72°C.  I used Auddiolinux and Win10 may balance threads better with multi cpu cores enabled?

Is there a way to better balance threads load? 

Ok, I got it at last.  Ryzen 3700x OC to 42 can do polosinc-xtr-mp, asdm7ec, dsd256 with HQPlayer desktop on Gigabyte Aorus I pro wifi with multicore option selected and grey cuda option as I have a lowly gtx 1030 installed.  But audiolinux hqp embedded had slight pause every now and then.  Probably I have to modify AL's configuration?  Any suggestions?

Finally I can do polosinc-xtr-mp, asdm7ec, dsd256 with Ryzen 3700X on Audiolinux.  I OC CPU to 4350 MHz and memory to 3200 mhz.  Hyperthread enable, adding "multicore="1" " to home/.HQPlayer/HQPlayer.xml, disable real time expert configuration and ramroot. Average temperature is around 72-78°C.

Ryzen 3950X should be overkill for HQPlayer highest setting.

Should add that it sounds great!

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt that 2700X can do EC7, DSD256, with XTRs.  With 3700X, I have to max out,  cpu 43ghz, dram 3600 mhz.  Temp were around 65°c-68°c.  All 14 threads were working actively (10%+ load).  Only 2 threads were working below 2% load (they were reserved for something else I guess).  

My 3700x can do 43.5ghz but with vcore 1.4 v and temp will shoot to 79°c-80°c when fully loaded even with liquid 280mm radiator aio liquid cooling.  But I heard that some people can only hit 41.5 -42.0 GHz OC.  It's a silicon lottery and my 3700X is a keeper.  For your info, the 3900X have recently dethroned intel's world record on overclocking as it has better ipc and more threads.

I got Ryzen 3950x and have been playing/testing it over the weekend with suggestions on settings from Audiolinux Piero.

Testing it with both HQP desktop and embedded using all available options of multicore, cuda --- enable, disable, auto or convolution.  Hyperthread enable, acpi, performance, turbo enable etc. I also experimented with various bios settings, precision boost, auto overclock, manually OC CPU to 42.5 GHz, dram 3600 MHz.  All settings were fairly stable with temp in comfortable range -no throttling with latest AMD qcode and mb's bios.

Simply put, dsd256 was fine with the most demanding filters and modulators but it was not no where near playing dsd512.  Lot of drop out every 1-2 seconds in all options I put in.  Inspecting real time CPU cores utilization showed that half of threads were actively utilized and the rest were almost idle.  Overall CPU utilization was around 15%.  Multicore and cuda offload enabled seem to be more efficient in CPU cores utilization.  The results suggested that hqp can better utilizes 8-10 cores CPU than higher core-count CPU.  In fact my 3700x (8cores) can play 256dsd almost as well as 3950x (16cores).  Nevertheless, 3950x at the same hqp configuration as 3700x sound more refined and pleasant with better details.  

Are there any consumer CPUs that can upstream most demanding hqp configurations? Threadripper, Xeon?   Is there anything else that I should try on bios settings, AL setups and HQP configurations?

18 hours ago, Miska said:

As far as I know, you can come up with configurations that won't run on any currently available hardware, regardless of price. Consumer or otherwise.

So it really depends on what you want to do. Highest performance combinations are ones with latest most powerful Nvidia RTX GPU's (like RTX 2080Ti) combined with highest possible clocks speed CPUs (at the moment i9-9900KS allowing 8 cores at 5 GHz).

Still won't run all imaginable configuration combinations. Optimal hardware depends on the particular settings wanted. If you want 32 channels of 384k PCM is different than if you want 2 channels of DSD1024.

I want asdm7ec, xtr, 2 ch dsd512 from my hardware: Ryzen 3950x, 3600mhz ram, rtx 2070 super.  I couldn't with various settings and options as explained above.  The best I can do is dsd256 which only utilized around 15% of my CPU load and more than half of CPU's threads were idle.

• 2 weeks later...

My Ryzen 3700X can do asdm7ec dsd256 xtr-lp or xtr-mp (without -2s) with the help of rtx 2070 super.  No need to OC.  Temp is around 65c° using small mini itx case (12.6L) and CPU load is about 27%. 

3700X is even problem free than 3950X as the latter tends to pause now and then after playing 30 minutes or longer.  That's good as I will use 3950X for a more demanding tasks.

10 hours ago, Miska said:

That sounds like thermal throttling... I cannot think of any other reason for something to happen after such a long time. Trying to improve cooling could help it.

No, temp were generally less than 68°c as overall CPU load was around 12%.  I have liquid cooling aio 280mm (with 4 fans in push-pull combination) which is more down enough to handle CPU at full load.  I'm thinking about disable hyperthread of 3950X to make it 16 parallel CPUs instead of 32.  

Thanks Miska for the suggestions.  DIMM 1 and 2 temperatures were pretty ok.   40plus C, generally less than 45C.  What's bug me is that, restarting HQPlayer (turn off and on ) would solve the pausing problem but it will re-occur again after 20-30 mins.  Mine is a registered version :-)

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, andygaof said:

whatever how to OC the CPU and DRAM, I can't get poly-sinc-xtr-lp, ASDM7EC DSD 256 work perfectly with HQplayer 4.3 and 4.23. 4.3 and 4.23 have a poor CPU utilization

5 hours ago, andygaof said:

With HQPlayer 4.2 I can get   poly-sinc-xtr-lp, ASDM7EC DSD 256 work perfectly

Hi, Miska

andygaof's results are exactly the same as mine.  Ryzen 3700X and 3950X cannot do dsd256, asdm7ec even both are aggressively overclocked with HQPlayer 4.2.3.  But they can do it with version 4.2.0.  I should add that emmbeded HQPlayer 4.1.3 is also working perfectly.

Unfortunately, I don't have HQPlayer 4.2.0 on my computer to fall back to.  Could you please give me a link to download v. 4.2.0?

Ryzen 3950X is working beautifully with HQPlayer Desktop 420, 411 (asdm7ec, poly sinc xtr MP, dsd256).  But with 423 it has a drop out every 10 seconds, 4301 every 2-3 seconds!

However, there is a hitch here.  I have to use Ryzen Master to run 3950X on CCD 1 only reducing the CPU to 8 cores 16 threads and OC it to 4.1ghz.  CPU utilisation is around 31-33% and temp is around 60°c. (69°c if OC to 4.3ghz.). I use AMD Ryzen high performce as a power plan.

6 hours ago, andygaof said:

but, the question is how to OC the CPU in Linux. once I set the frequency byoned the CPU information, it do not work. the maximum I can set is 3.6GHz for intel 9700K. 

With AL I can set CPU core ratio in bios, 43.5 for 3700X, 42.5 for 3950X.  Every configurations work perfectly up to dsd256.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Miska,

I've sent you two emails asking you to transfer Embedded HQPlayer registration to another pc.  ( from:  6SlCn1/HFvmlwZDm1s2aeA==
    to :  ZT+RzTt2t52pUuniglOC1A== ).

Hate to bother you about this but a change in CPU to a higher core has changed fingerprint of the machine.  Thanks for your help in advance.