IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

2 hours ago, Gato said:

For HQPlayer and from the SQ's point of view, what is most important? Other opinions are welcome...

After all, what I have read so far is the frequency for the HQPlayer more important than the number of cores.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, craighartley said:

which filter has the lowest CPU load

I posted some Filters. Maybe it helps.

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, andygaof said:

1. if the HQ version is 4.2.3 or 4.3, I can't play with poly-sinc-xtr-lp ADSM7EC. 

I tried this filter and had a very long initialization (about 1 minute). Then every 3 seconds the music was played with dropouts. I'm using build 4.3.0.1!

spacer.png

My favorite filter is Poly-Sync-Shrt-lp. That works fine.

3 hours ago, andygaof said:

...then the maximum temperature will drop to 74 compare 4.6GHz's 89.

Is the display correct that the temperature for Kingston SSD A400 is 97°C? The recommended operating temperature is: 0°C to 70°C. There is a risk of a system failure.

9 hours ago, andygaof said:

something wrong,it's always 97. I touch the Kingston SSD, the temperature is lower than my hand. I think software do not get the right information of Kingston sensor.

In Windows you can try HWMonitor😉

• 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, zouyu513 said:

What cpu can hand off DSD256 ASDM7EC upsampling and convolution for DSD128 and DSD256 sources at the same time.

Take a look in my new project 😉

On 2/21/2020 at 10:41 AM, StreamFidelity said:

1.3 Intel Core i9-9900K (95W TDP), 3.6GHz - 5.0GHz OctaCore - HD Graphics 630

The CPU is well known to me for its stability and smooth operation. The new flagship i9-9900KS would also have been nice, but since the 5GHz clocking across all cores is not possible with a passive-cooled system, the i9-9900K remained. With this CPU, conversions from PCM to DSD 512 or the use of EC modulators for DSD 256 are no problem at all with the HQPlayer. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Zauurx said:

Any advice? .. It should be able to rotate the EC filters

For the EC modulators you need processors with a high clock frequency (at least 4GHz on two cores with stereo). Xeon processors are generally not suitable for this.

37 minutes ago, Zauurx said:

Wouldn't it be better than an i9 without Nvidia ?

No! Outsourcing to a GPU works very well for the filters, but not for the EC modulators.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Comfortsble setting for ASDMEC7 DSD256

is 4cores at 5ghz!

I think that's an exaggeration. For a 2-channel system (stereo) it is sufficient if two cores run at 4GHz. A CPU should not run extreme. In my experience, the sound becomes too nervous and harsh.

U need massive copper CPU heat block and heat pipes to take care of this .

This is right.

So a passively cooled Case smd CPU will not do EC7 DSD256

I don't think so. Look: 

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Zen 3 based ones are supposed to be better overall with reduced communication latency between cores and better efficiency per clock.

Ryzen 2700X, 3700X and 3900X memory access latencies are around 75 ns. The current Intel processors achieve about 50 to 60 ns. While AMD has reduced internal latencies, the memory interface and memory still have higher delays than the competition. Source: Hardwareluxx

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, firedog said:

That apparently turns the Turbo Boost on, as I'm  now getting spikes of CPU cycles up to almost 4900.

In my experience, it is better to set the cores to a fixed clock frequency. All cores of my i9-9900K run at 4.1 GHz. It increases the SQ.

14 hours ago, firedog said:

I can give it a try. How do you set that up?

The setting can be found in the CPU core ratio on ASUS boards. Here I have described it:

On 3/3/2020 at 3:27 PM, StreamFidelity said:

2.1.3 CPU clock frequency

The most important setting for high performance concerns the clock frequency of the CPU. The Intel Core i9-9900K has a base clock of 3.6GHz. Not enough for the EC modulators of the HQPlayer. At least 4GHz on 3-4 cores are required. The CPU has 8 cores. I experimented with different settings. For example, clocking the first cores higher than the following ones. I did not like it. I stayed with the simple configuration: all cores on 4.1GHz.

37995899bw.png

AO also recommends using a fixed value, see manual.

On 5/31/2019 at 8:29 AM, AudioPhil said:

You can find the Computer Audio Best Practices Guide here: https://pdf.highend-audiopc.com/computer_audio_best_practices_guide.pdf

The basic idea is that changing CPU frequencies and energy savings can have a negative effect on the sound. For the same reason, many prefer a linear power supply rather than switching power supplies. For me, both make a huge difference in sound. Others don't care. Everyone has their own preferences. 😉

5 hours ago, Rune said:

Do you have your DAC directly connected to your HQPlayer computer when observing this?

Yes, my Denafrips Terminator is connected directly via USB via the JCAT USB XE Card.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

i have read that AMD managed lowered latency in ZEN 3 among other things

AMD is usually right at the top in the benchmarks. Respect for this achievement. Unfortunately, this does not apply to the latencies.

For me, latencies are very important parameters for audio playback.

AIDA64

Source: hardwareluxx.de Benchmarks memory bandwidth and latencies

Latency

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Miska said:

ASDM7EC just about works:

What does that mean? Are there any dropouts? Purely from the technical specs, it should work:

CPU cores 8
Threads 16
Base Clock 3.8GHz
Max Boost Clock Up to 4.7GHz

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Mops911 said:

TDP and and max load of HQP?

TDP is the maximum thermal power loss on the basis of which a cooling solution is designed. Important: This is a nominal value. The TDP says nothing about the actual energy consumption!

For an i9-9900K with a TDP of 95W, my power consumption is about 31W. Although all cores run on 4.2GHz and DSD256 is played with ASDM7EC. You can get that with Undervolting.

40777694aw.png

Since I use two linear power supplies (Keces P8), the consumption is of course higher because of the power dissipation.

20V with 1.8A = 36W
12V with 4.0A = 48W

Total = 84W 😉

6 hours ago, Mops911 said:

And do you have potentially temp readings for 15%, 50% and 100% cpu

In a fanless system, I recommend keeping the permanent CPU load at a maximum of 30%. Otherwise you will have problems with the temperature. With an average CPU load of approx. 16%, the average temperature is approx. 59°C.

When the filter poly-sinc-short-mp is loaded for the first time with PCM 44.1kHz to DSD 256 (ASDM7EC), the CPU load jumps to 100% for a few seconds. The HWMonitor then shows 53W, which is still little. Keces P8 for the CPU jumps up to 12V / 5.5A (the limit is 8A). The i9-9900K core would draw a lot more power if I hadn't limited the cores to 4.2GHz.

On ASUS mainboards there are additionally settings for the maximum power:

- I have the power consumption at 120W with max. 160W limited

Other possible settings support this:

- The CPU i9-9900K can up to max. 100 ° C operated. Way to high. I have a max. Temperature set at 95 ° C.
- Possibly undervolting with BLCK Aware Adaptive Voltage.

Look my BIOS settings.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I know you are setting your cores to fixed clocks.

And I know you don't like that. Which I understand, because it is difficult for a developer to take into account the various attitudes of the crazy users. 😄

The fixed limitation of the CPU clock prevents my fanless audio PC from collapsing. See post above. And I prefer a fixed CPU clock for sound reasons, because the CPU frequencies no longer fluctuate. But I think we are miles apart with our opinion. Everyone has their own preferences.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

While if you are executing AVX-512 instructions or some other heavier math stuff, the power consumption will be significantly higher compared to idle loop

AVX512 is interesting. Would DSD 256 even work with ASDM7EC? Or does the CPU i9-11900K fall back to the processor base frequency of 3.50 GHz?

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

This is something I don't understand, makes it consume more power...

That's right. But I meant it differently. If the clock rate is set to Auto, some cores will boost to 5GHz. That would be bad for a fanless system with linear power supplies.

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

i9-11900K doesn't have AVX-512

This is in the Intel product specifications, but not in the Intel announcements. But good to know that it works with the Intel Xeon processor W-2245. The base clock is quite high at 3.9GHz. With 3.5GHz of the Intel Core i9-11900K processor, I have my doubts.

14-1260.cd53f258.jpg

Source: https://www.computerbase.de/2021-03/intel-rocket-lake-s/

21 minutes ago, luisma said:

2x P8's, are these the single our dual outputs?

There are the Keces P8 Single one with 19V and one with 12V (CPU EPS) each with 8A. So a great achievement. But not nice with a boost up to 5GHz, even if it only affects two cores. I'm looking forward to the JCAT OPTIMO ATX power supply. 23A on each rail. 😃

12 minutes ago, luisma said:

Thanks, what are you powering with 19V?

A picture says more than words. 😉

37898137qn.jpg

2 hours ago, luisma said:

Thanks I'm surprised you are using the HDPLex power and not going directly from the LPS's to the motherboard and EPS

The Keces P8 12V / 8A supplies the CPU EPS directly. This is not possible with the Keces P8 20V / 8A, because the 24 pin ATX connection has to deliver 3.3V, 5V and 12V. This is what the DC-ATX converter is for.

A direct connection would be possible with the JCAT OPTIMO ATX. 😉