IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

On 2/10/2021 at 2:08 PM, Miska said:

Some load figures for the Ryzen 7 5800X with the new special build of HQPlayer 4 Desktop running on Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS:

2051467028_Screenshot2021-02-11at0_07_23.thumb.png.25b0802eedcf977e56d073b8ae308465.png

Client and terminal with ssh connection to the Linux machine running on Mac Mini M1 under macOS.

P.S. Part of this performance is thanks to the G.Skill DDR4-3400 CL16 RAM...

Now that some more months have passed, do you recommend the 5800X and B550/X570 motherboard? The Realtek 2.5G NIC issue still appears to be unresolved and I would think is a hw issue at this point.

It seems the AMD processors are more efficient for HQP work but the supporting motherboards aren't quite up to par, yet. 

Many threads about 1st gen Realtek 2.5G chip/driver issues. Not consistent. I don't know if the problems are only Windows driver related or not. Apparently, some of the MB makers have recently acknowledged the problems and are working with Realtek. There is a gen 2 available but not yet on any boards I've found. I'm just trying to uncover ever problem child before jumping into a new build.

I'm happy with my recent build:

i5 10600k - I didn't want to add a graphics card just to work at the console and the integrated from AMD didn't seem compelling.

ASUS Prime z590m -  Not high quality parts but choices with proven i219v NIC and mATX are few and far between. I tried the GIGABYTE B560M AORUS PRO AX it uses top-shelf components but the Intel embedded nic wouldn't work with 5.10 kernel and even in Windows 10 it only worked for a short period of time before the driver stopped talking to the hardware. Windows probably replaced/updated and it broke. 

Cooler Master 212 black - No need for a AIO for this use case.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 - on the QVL and does the job

Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Micro-ATX - super cheap but does the job

My goals were to keep size and power consumption very close to what I had, i7-6700, but be able to play 256EC7 with any filter and more at 512 with lighter SDM and filters and run HQPeOS bootable image. I was not impressed with Ubuntu performance hosting RoonServer vs. Windows 10 (probably Roon not the OS) and I really didn't want to fuss with all the libraries, HWE, etc. 

It lives in a 19" half rack in a conditioned closet so fans are encouraged. I hacked up the case to allow proper ventilation at low rpm and only modestly overclocked the CPU to all core 4.9GHz yet retain all the power scaling abilities to chill out when not needed. RAM bumped from 3200 to 3400 just because it's all perfectly stable with Prime95 beating on it.

Power consumption during playback is only up ~10W average vs. the i7-6700. These modern 140mm fans are so quiet it could live in the listening room and maybe barely during silence be heard, maybe. All the trouble to build fan-less is so not worth it to me.

I was running 256EC5 with poly-sinc-gauss-xla and am enjoying the uplift at 256EC7. 

4 hours ago, lpost said:

Oh, one quirk. I used a Seasonic Prime 650w from a few years ago. It's probably a bios issue but 'Restore AC Power Loss' doesn't work. WOL does though. 

Nevermind. Restore AC setting is working I just wasn't waiting long enough for the power supply caps to fully drain and thus the computer be completely 'off'.