IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
8 hours ago, Quadman said:

re you running a GPU for cuda offload as well, or just for graphics with no cuda offload?

No CUDA offload, the graphic card you see it is just temporary, I don't have too much room (TDP wise) for graphics there, I think the build could have an Nvidia 1650 but I don't think I could do much with that card and HQPlayer, any of you trying offload could provide some more info on this?

7 hours ago, ted_b said:

Luisma,

What is your server config (when using this new 5600x as intended NAA)?  Will THAT setup do more filters with DSD256 and EC?

My intention was to use a Fractal Define Midtower (not the XL) with a 5950X or 5800X, water cooled most likely, if I go that route I will use a small celeron fanless like I'm using today for the NAA and possibly will re purpose the fanless to do something else

On the other hand if I am happy with the fanless I might keep it for a while as a server. Really don't know yet.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

You could put Intel ethernet card there instead to make it work with HQPlayer OS

Thanks but I don't have a slot for a network card, I will try some other things with Linux, unless you confirm that HQPOs does a better job distributing loads evenly across cores in which case I will go further to replace the entire board for a bigger board with slots, it is a lot of work though

Done some more testing today including moderate OC on the Zen3 platform, while this topic is not OC related if you are interested I can list the specific parameters. The issue is the Zen3 architecture doesn't include temperature reporting yet on existing kernels, some patches are on the works and official support on kernel 5.10. So I am stopping now. I could run poli xtr with only one brief drop per song on a more stable way with my OC settings. Temperatures measured with my hand LOL seems to be under my high stress reference in Windows where I reached 86 Celsius.

I wish I could test HQPOS with this board, definitely HQPe core distribution algorithms behavior with filters was carefully planned by Miska.

This is a current load with poli xtr DSD256 ASDM7EC, notice the threads not being used, on purpose as Miska mentioned before

image.png.adc16c7db7af2637ce4ac720a2d9ee49.png

cpu MHz         : 4468.852
cpu MHz         : 4193.196
cpu MHz         : 4080.101
cpu MHz         : 4469.149
cpu MHz         : 4063.149
cpu MHz         : 4125.102
cpu MHz         : 4535.641
cpu MHz         : 3938.520
cpu MHz         : 3701.554
cpu MHz         : 4494.776
cpu MHz         : 3563.065
cpu MHz         : 3058.972

But with closed-form, no drops no stuttering, the CPU distributions is completely different, threads are used more and 2 cores used very briefly

image.png.3c33aa0ffa481c385afe5df99b5bec10.png

cpu MHz         : 4565.087
cpu MHz         : 3041.200
cpu MHz         : 3036.983
cpu MHz         : 4565.043
cpu MHz         : 3113.053
cpu MHz         : 3048.234
cpu MHz         : 4564.443
cpu MHz         : 3039.339
cpu MHz         : 3042.859
cpu MHz         : 4566.548
cpu MHz         : 3048.860
cpu MHz         : 3044.009

All in all I am very satisfied with the CPU and the fanless build, except for the board which have a Realtek card and which I will possibly replace I think when the new kernels include support for better CPU handling on the Zen3 arch certainly more performance could be obtained.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this, very interesting approach from AMD.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16267/amd-precision-boost-overdrive-2-adaptive-undervolting-for-ryzen-5000-coming-soon

Seems the CPU that will benefit from this the most is the 5900X (and possibly the 5950X) but the 5900X having higher base clock could be better for HQPlayer if you will be undervolting

Performance numbers from AMD would suggest that this technique, compared to a simple fixed undervolt and core frequency increase, can lead to a +2% single thread performance improvement, or up to a +10% multi-thread performance improvement for the Ryzen 9 5900X. AMD stated to us that this technique works best with multiple CCDs, and fewer cores per CCD, so the Ryzen 9 5900X is going to be the best goal for the technology. AMD has also stated that this is going to be applied to all new processors going forward, however it will not be back-ported to Ryzen 3000 as it requires some engineering optimizations in Ryzen 5000 that are non-transferrable.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Rune said:

If you do not require DSD256EC Then you have more choices and less problems.

I have the entry level 5600X on an HDPlex H5 passive cooled and does DSD128 just fine, my initial post here

Very thankful to Jussi for posting as I am on a waiting list for the 5800X, I read about the new Intel coming and 4.8/5.3, IPC 19% increase apparently but don't know if that would be enough for HQP to do stable DSD256 at 7EC (EDIT: meant DSD512 ASDM5EC or 7EC and DSD256 7EC with "loooooong filters")

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16390/intel-previews-11th-gen-core-rocket-lake-core-i911900k-and-z590-coming-q1

4 hours ago, Yviena said:

Is there actually any reason why Intel seems to have a lower load with EC7 256

I think that aside of the "higher clock" intracore communication is faster and more optimized EDIT:on Intel, I can even dare to go a little further and say that possibly the kernel (at least in the Linux case) will work "better" with Intel than AMD, to my knowledge full kernel support is delayed with AMD for many features, temps, and such, possibly also core task distribution.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong

16 hours ago, Marco said:

Now what could come in handy is a single executable to run as a benchmark to test e.g. the EC filter/modulators (or just 1 for dsd64,128,256 and 512)

Hi Marco, at the risk of being flagged as pretentious, your idea good but in practice there are many variables at play like source rate, memory used, OS and kernel used, filter used and such, unless you keep the system, content played and such as static which is impractical you can't provide a good reference.

PC benchmarks run for a specific CPU architecture with specific variables and instructions sets, some benchmarks will "blend" certain tests. I think it is very complex and even if you create a benchmark for let's say Redbook content if the music has for example high dynamic range will stress the modulator even more than audio with quiet passages. So you could define fix / static variables for testing but the result will be meaningless when you subject these systems to common usage rendering the benchmark not very useful.

Going back to PC benchmarks (on which I'm not expert either) IIRC there were even specific benchmarks created for specific games because you can''t create a "universal" benchmark for all games since each game will stress the system differently.

But what do I know I could be wrong and perhaps this could be possible.

Just my opinion

35 minutes ago, Marco said:

In the end, Jussi is the only one with the insight to evaluate this as doable and of a test program's validity for the main programs

Very true

35 minutes ago, Marco said:

(Closed Form maybe?)

Maybe not, from what I remember from empirical testing on AMD 5600X closed form seems to be a little "better" distributing load across cores, also poli xtr, you will be cheating yourself getting a reference score from these filters (I certainly did)

37 minutes ago, Marco said:

I would like to know if it can be done and if it's something to consider.

Good question Marco

8 hours ago, Miska said:

would look into heat joint installations. That there is enough, but not too much thermal paste and that there's a good contact between cooling parts.

I was thinking exactly the same

I have your build@salaryman

And I can run EC5 but not EC7 with certain filters and content, under Linux the kernel and AL won't report the Temps, and the intracore load distribution has issues too, I switched to Ubuntu and it works a little better, but yeah Intel is better, but the Temps in my case (measuring with laser) seems to be OK.

10 hours ago, salaryman said:

I think I will re-install all heatsink and heatpipe this weekend.

Last time when I install this 9700K system for trial, it was after uninstall the 5600X system without reapply new paste.

Will update here if there is any improvement in temperature.

My experience with the HDPlex

1. Don't use a thermal paste that is too sticky, more on the liquid (without running all over the place) side, especially for the CPU right panel heathsink

2. Apply generously but without overdoing, just a thin film will do.

3. Obviously you will need plenty of it, it takes some quantity to fill

If you can touch the side heatsink and keep your hand and fingers there and your system is going throttle down then you don't have good transfer, under stress I cannot keep my hand on the heatsink, check the copper pipes are not broken or punctured

5 hours ago, salaryman said:

But in hdplex's video, really no thermal paste applied between heatpipe and side panel, as shown in the youtube (start: 8:30):

LOL what a misleading video, OMG of course you need to fill in with thermal paste, I followed some other instructions I guess.

I'm going to start replying all in one post

Apparently Zen 3 temperature support was added to other kernels as well as jl kernel has it

image.thumb.png.01784696c47a25fd5d9d1f618dc12d28.png

Note I'm playing DSD256 EC7

image.png.09856d02c2a719368728122e121df325.png

No drops with this content and this filter ....  temperatures on the low 70's, different filters could create different load conditions.

But don't go back to the 5600X, stick to Intel, still better it seems

For example poli-xtr-mp although better core distribution and seemingly slightly lower clock on the "main" 2 cores drops out every once in a while

image.thumb.png.d8b80a342a018b1c178e6d3fdb93c27a.png