IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

I am building a computer for HQPlayer and I wonder which is the best CPU (up to now) I should use.

The options I look at are either intel 7th generation (6700k, 7700k), 8th generation (8700k) or 9th generation (x series).

Is there a significant difference that makes any of them the best choice? I do want to maximize performance of up sampling to DSD512 with best modes (XTR) possible.

It should be noted a good GPU will be in use as well (either GTX 1070 or 1080).

BTW, if AMD has any competitive CPU that matches or even performs better it can be an option.

I currently plan to go with 8700k but I am not sure if this is the right choice.

I found this thread with more information:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-holo-audio-cyan-dac-amp-pcm-or-dsd-module.861507/page-3

It seems the L3 cache and # of cores are important. It seems there is a proof that 1950x works even without CUDA offload and 6950x works with CUDA. It also says that the cheaper 1920x may work but there is no proof for it.

Did anyone manage to do DSD512 XTR (the non 2s) on a 1920x without stuttering?

• 1 month later...

I finally managed to build a PC for DSD512.

I am using AMD Threadripper 1920x and now I can easily play DSD512 with poly-sync-xtr-mp-2s filter!!

I don't even use CUDA offload and cpu utilization is not exceeding 15%!

My whole build costs less than $2000...

The build I have is dead silent. You don't know the computer is on.

It's a combination of the case (Fractal Design R5 blackout) + Cooler (Noctua NH U14S).

My GPU (Gigabyte 1060) is also dead silent even in most demanding games.

It seems HQPlayer does not even start challenging this setup even at its max configuration

Update:

I was mistaken between -2s and non -2s. Non -2s is the better mode. Without -2s the load is much higher.

I  can play DSD512 (48x512) only if auto rate family is set. Some files do play without it but some get to100% CPU and stuck.

When it is set everything works properly and CPU level is ~30%

I also noticed that both using multicore and Cuda offload should not be fully set. They should be both grayed.

With these settings everything works great!

12 minutes ago, MirinStereo said:

This is all about XTR filters with DSD512.

We still need to see a Xeon build handle it before we can say it's the cheapest option that works.

Until now there are only the new higher end CPUs with have large L3 cache that are proven to do it.

16 minutes ago, MirinStereo said:

If anyone is interested, my Xeon E3 1231v3 does DSD to DSD Oversampling of DSD64 and above to DSD512 with poly-sinc-xtr (non -2s) no problem.

Sounds very interesting. Did you try up-sampling from regular PCM (CD quality) to DSD512?

It will be good to see what parameters are used. Are you using CUDA offload? family rate?

If everything works it's definitely a winner in terms of cost but it may not be everyone's choice or liking in case the build is also used for other purpose.

It seems you had a bad experience. I am sure that for most people that build a new system it is not as hard as you describe.

First of all I guess that someone that decides to build his own system should be familiar with what he is doing and going into. if not, you should definitely learn it first and not go into it without the right knowledge.

So it is definitely not for everyone.

I do think that for people that understand what this takes even for a first build it's not complex. It is actually easier that it used to be as things become more clean and standard. There is always the feeling of fear when doing it first time because you are afraid to break something. Understanding ahead of time that this works and chances to fail are low if you prepare yourself and follow the rules is important.

It may not be described as walk in the park but it is also not too complex.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Miska said:

After about hour of playing, the temps settled just below 40C because fan kicked in and the speed settled to match the heat production. But still the machine was really quiet without any clear fan noise.

This with room temperature of 21C. At summer when inside temps are higher, the CPU will of course run hotter too.

One critical thing to observe is type and amount of thermal paste between CPU and the cooler. The layer should be as thin as possible while covering exactly all the available area possible.

Miska, that is quite low for the load. What is your temp at idle time? 

3 hours ago, n2it said:

I thought that @sbenyo had the Noctua U14S TR4-SP3 (sbenyo is that right?) - if so, it should provide enough cooling (I have one for my 1950x - you can also add on another fan for the other side of it) - wondering if maybe the fan control isn't turning on until 60 deg - so might be something to tweak a little (at least understand the trade-off with the noise).  Also reading reviews of the Fractal Design R5 say it doesn't have the best airflow - might be worth some extra case fans (and replace the stock ones with quieter ones) and tweaking of the fan controls there.  (As Quadman suggested - a water cooler never hurts and has the best bang for the buck in terms of cooling per noise level)

I do have Noctua U14S. I got it after reading many good reviews. I agree it should be fine.

I also added 3 additioanl Noctua NF-A14 case fans in addition to the two on the R5 case (top, bottom and front).

All fans are PWM and work in smart mode. This means they are not running full power (1500RPM) but usually between 300-800. At this rate they cannot be heard. This did not affect the CPU temp (maybe very slightly).

I also used the default smart configuration for the CPU fan. This was probably not optimal. I changed it for testing to always run at full speed (1500). It did improve the CPU temp I think by 3-5 degrees which I think is significant. The idle temp is ~30.

It should be noted that at 1500RPM the fan is not completely silent but it is not heard if music is playing so it should still be good.

With full fan speed and additional case fans (all smart mode) I get temps between ~52-62 avg about 55. It can also peak to above 62 but not too much. I also want to add that I see these temperatures only with HQP. If I run benchmark using CPU-Z which stresses the CPU I don't get close. It stay ~40-50.

I think it's still a bit high. It would be great to see comparisions with other Threadripper users (either 1950x or 1920x) using HQP with same Noctua cooler or anything else.

As far as I know the 7700K cannot do XTR but only XTR -2s. If this is the test for CPU usage and temperature it is not the same as doing XTR which is much more CPU intensive. Just to compare, I will try the Prime 95 CPU test to see what results I get.

Thanks. I hope someone will come with additional Threadripper temperature results for HQPlayer. I actually did a few more stress tests even loading CPU to 100% for sometime. It still looks like HQP is winning in raising the temperature. Everything else I tried did not get as high as HQP.

2 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

Here is a Ryzen 1950x Noctua cooler comparison with some good load and temp data. 

http://www.legitreviews.com/air-versus-water-cooling-amd-ryzen-threadripper-noctua-coolers_198402

Thanks for the link. I actually saw it and repeated the exact same test. It's downsizing a 4K 60fps video to 1080p 30fps.

This works for about 10 mins loading CPU to almost 100%

My CPU starts at idle time with a bit higher temp. They show 28c and I see 30-35c.

As for temperature on load, I was close to what they show but not as high. It was most of the time between 50-55 with peaks to around 60c.

Surprisingly this loads CPU to 100% and it has less effect on temperature than HQPlayer loading CPU only to 30%-40%.

I am still not sure what HQP is doing to Threadripper CPU that cause the temperature to be ~55c with frequent peaks above 60c.

I am also not sure if this is a problem with my cooling solution or not. If I compare it to the link above, it seems Threadripper gets hot but it's probably OK.

I still need to see other HQPlayer comparisions or more details on expected temperatures to be sure if my cooling solution is good enough or not.

I am not sure how I can control the CPU frequency. As far as I know I use it on default set frequency (3.5GHz).

Checking it using HWInfo may show I might be wrong. It does seems frequency is changing  and even reaching ~4.0GHz.

This may explain what I see. I will have to further check it to see if this is true and if I can control it.

If this is the cause for the higher temps and if this can be resolved it will be great!

image.thumb.png.43b480ce91c7354a410f69532c74c229.png

I looked into the MSI x399 BIOS settings and found that OC is disabled and can be only set physically on the MB.

I checked deeper and found there is an advanced setting "Core Performance Boost" set to auto. I disabled it.

Now CPU frequency does not exceed 3.5GHz and temperature sits nicely at ~45c!

image.thumb.png.7cec5a0c6981b1c905439ff867ae47bc.png'

I am also happy with it as CPU fans don't have to get to full speed which keeps everything dead silent.

I am very pleased now. I thought the CPU is getting too hot. It turns out it overclocked itself as high as 4.0GHz.

CPU is now working a bit harder moving from 30% to 70% and sometimes even to 90%+  but everything still works perfectly so I don't need to Core Boost for DSD512 XTR. Before CPU would not get higher than 30%.

Quadman - Thanks for giving me the right hint where to look for. I am still surprised BIOS default setting is set like this even though OC is disabled.

I will also run the video stress test again to see how CPU and heat performs now.