IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

16 minutes ago, juanitox said:

so to resume to compute  44K PCM to non 2s  DSD512 polysync it needs 90W power  ( CPu  or CPU+GPU)

Did you meant to say *2s filter instead of "non 2s" filter?

If yes, to upsample from 44.1K PCM to DSD512 CPU doesn't necessary have to go up to 90W, it can be done with lower TDP processors.  I am currently upsampling 44.1K to DSD512 with *2s polysync filters using i7700 that is TDP of 65W.

1 minute ago, lmitche said:

I look forward to hearing the results of your sq test.

Did you see this? https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62540/intel-core-i9-9900k-rumor-8c-16t-huge-5-5ghz-aug-1/index.html

Unfortunately no tdp numbers yet.

No, I didn't see that report...thanks for the link.  I am looking forward to the result of this new PC as well, but it won't be ready for another couple weeks minimum until few mods are done.  Lots of work ahead.

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, ddetaey said:

In fact I doubt that even there is a CPU available today that can handle DSD512 poly-sinc-xtr (non -2s) all by itself , without CUDA support.

6 minutes ago, Jens_G said:

Is it a matter of the base clock rate or what influence does the maximum turbo clock rate has here? For example, a (fictive) CPU with base clock rate at 2,8GHz and maximum turbo clock rate at 3,5GHz would fulfill the clock rate requirements or not?

I can confirm the PC I recently build using AMD threadripper 1950X can run DSD512 with poly-sinc-xtr (non-2s) without CUDA at base clock rate of 3.4GHz.  The CPU usage is about 33~34% when running DSD512 with poly-sinc-xtr.

• 11 months later...
7 minutes ago, Rune said:

I just ordered the i9-9900KS 😎

I was originally planning to get a Ryzen 3950X, but after testing 3600X I am not 100% convinced that the 3950 will be able to do ASDM7EC DSD256.

That is good to know.  Which Mobo are you planning to use?

I also have high interest in this CPU, but still deciding on key components.

56 minutes ago, Rune said:

I received my  i9-9900KS but no joy. I am sill waiting for the rest of the parts for my build.

I also started to acquire components for this build.  Hope you will get all your components soon, hopefully this CPU, when OC to 5.1GHz or 5.2GHz, will do DSD512 with ASDM7EC.

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Rune said:

I have now build my server and guess it is unnecessary to mention that it does ASDM7EC DSD256 with all filters.

The build consist of:

Intel i9-9900KS

Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac

Corsair DDR4 PC3200 16GB kit CL16 Vengeance CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (just because it was cheap)

And Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm liquid cooler.

Silverstone Sugo SG05-Lite

Corsair SF750 PSU SFX (overkill, I have not measured usage over  200W)

And the Liquid cooler is actually less noisy than my Noctua  NH-D15 in my Desktop computer.

I have now bought a HQPlayer Embedded, and stream from Roon to NAA on a RPI 4 which is rock solid.

I use dietPi because the NAA image did not work.

Very nice build.  What is the CPU temp range running ASDM7EC DSD256, and what OS are you using with this setup?

• 11 months later...
42 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Is anyone doing (or thinking of doing) this with their server build?  In order of importance (and not at the same time, of course :) )

*  HQPlayer server for DSD256 2 channel upsampling using EC modulators

*  HQPlayer server for some level of DSD (likely 256) upsampling for multichannel music

*  Kodi serving multichannel audio (and some video) for 5.1.4 file-based movie or 5.1.4 Atmos-music

I am open to either using NAA or one-box (NAA seems the right choice here, but I've been on the sidelines for awhile :) ).  My Holo, exaSound and AVR (Atmos and movie only) are up to the task at the far end. 

Net/net, wondering if the multichannel and Kodi stuff adds any issues to simply building for DSD256 EC modulator work.

I build mine based on the first option, and my recent comparison between one and two-box configuration, the one-box setup turned out to be a better sounding configuration.

• 5 months later...
15 minutes ago, ted_b said:

So no dc-ATX converter, just the direct ATX 500W power supply?  Is this a better solution than the 300W/dc-ATX converter combo for ATX and another psu for the cpu?

I have tried using Keces P8/20V to HDPlex 800W DC-ATX, and from DC-ATX to both EPS and ATX route before settled with two Sean Jacobs DC3 power supplies to power EPS and ATX.  The improvement with this setup is very noticeable.

IIRC, I7-6700K will consume up to 110W, which the Paul Hynes SR7EH with rating at 6A won't work.

I am planning on doing test and compare the upcoming Taiko DC-ATX module feeding by a unregulated power supply with my current setup when it is available, and there is a strong possibility this setup will again, surpass what I current have.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
4 minutes ago, Miska said:

Should be pretty nice, if you can also get hold of DDR5 RAM (at least here hard to get).

I guess reason for 2 slots is that DDR5 by itself has double width compared to DDR4.

Thank you for the confirmation.  Will using DDR4 be poor in performance?  Especially SQ?

16 minutes ago, Miska said:

It won't affect sound quality. My 12900K system uses DDR4 RAM and works nice. But likely you can squeeze some extra performance out of the 12900K + HQPlayer by using DDR5. Which remains to be verified, but could be the case based on some benchmarks I've seen.

Thank you again, I will start with DDR4 and try DDR5 next year when they are more available.