IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

9 hours ago, rickca said:

Have you tried the EC modulators at DSD256?

I have a X3600 and expect the performance to be very close to X3700. 

it can do ASDM5EC DSD256 but not ASDM7EC DSD256.

it will also do ploy-sinc-xtr2 - ASDM7 - DSD512 without GPU, but needs GPU offload for ploy-sinc-xtr-mp - ASDM7 - DSD512.

I use a ASUS Prime X470 and active CPU cooling.

Even when  my 3600X is OC’d to 4.3 GHz it cannot do ASDM7EC DSD256 and I got a GTX 1080ti that can do all filters.

best result is drop out every 7-12 seconds.
i am actually a bit surprised that it does not work as it is supposed to work at 4 GHz on intel. It must be some specific instructions intel does faster because overall the Ryzen 3000 series has caught up IPC wise.

19 hours ago, teera_ash said:

May be I have to tinkering with some parameters a bit as other members here could do dsd512?

I have tested the following on my  Ryzen 5 3600X default settings active cooling HQPlayer Desktop windows 10 :

Multicore grey and GPU disabled

poly-sinc-exr-lp-2s -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 OK

poly-sinc-ext -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 OK
poly-sinc-ext2 -> ASDM7 -> DSD512  OK
poly-sinc-mqa-mp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 OK
poly-sinc-exr-lp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 not working
poly-sinc-exr-mp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512 not working
poly-sinc-exr-mp -> ASDM7 -> DSD512  not working

11 hours ago, Yviena said:

New KS version has worse IPC than earlier version due to hardware security fixes though...

Who cares when it over all is a faster CPU.

These in-silicon fixes have been rumored to impact instructions per cycle (IPC) throughput, and we logged a few performance regressions compared to the Core i9-9900K during our first round of tests. After re-flashing the motherboard BIOS and deploying a larger suite of tests, we found that the regressions weren't as pronounced as we initially recorded.

5 hours ago, teera_ash said:

I have 3700X.  It can do ASDM5EC,  xtr-mp, DSD256 virtually free of any problem with Audiolinux at base Freq.  This is 8 cores while a 3950X is 16 cores.  

I can also do ASDM5EC on 3600X with cuda offload, but I cannot do ASDM7EC even when overclocking all cores to 4.35 GHz.

It does not seem to use more than 4 cores, so more cores does not seems to be the answer.

Rumors says that the 3950X will not do much better than 4.3GHz on all cores. It is still a beast everything except HQPlayer.

By the way I received my  i9-9900KS but no joy. I am sill waiting for the rest of the parts for my build.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just taken measurements on Embedded running ASDM7EC DSD256, popy-sinc-mqa-mp 

cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input
cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon0/temp2_input

after 40min I get CPU temp readings jumping between between 41-68  and most of the time around 64-66.

CPU usage is around 185%

• 7 months later...
18 hours ago, Miska said:

I'm thinking of upgrading my fanless i5-7600T machine to 3700X on B550 motherboard to be able to run ASDM7EC to DSD256 at 65W TDP (Streacom FC10 case).

The upcoming 4700G APU sounds promising. It has less L3 cache, but according to this leak it will overclock better due to the monolithic nature of the CPU. So maybe it will be better at running ASDM7EC to DSD256. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

In my experience, it is better to set the cores to a fixed clock frequency. All cores of my i9-9900K run at 4.1 GHz. It increases the SQ.

Do you have your DAC directly connected to your HQPlayer computer when observing this?

Because when using a NAA I cannot see this affecting SQ. Generally it is better to run CPU at default if it can handle HQPlayer without OC.

3 minutes ago, firedog said:

I just tried the xtr's and it used less CPU. It's pretty obvious this setup will have no issue doing anything HQP can throw at it doing DSD 256 and below.

Does it do DSD256EC -> Sinc-L?

This is the exception I have found that my 9900KS does not do. In this case I have to go down to 128EC.

So I am probably going to get a GPU but are waiting for Nvidias 3000 series.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Quadman said:

I'm anxious to see results with any servers built with 5800x or 5900x CPU's.  I just feel the extra cache on AMD CPU's sound better than intel.

I have ordered a 5950X, but it will be weeks before I receive it, because I had problems with ordering one, and only mange to put an order about 10 min after release.

I am also planning to get a new Nvidia 3000 series GPU, but it is best to wait and see what Nvidia do to match AMD Spec and price. The rumors is that there will be versions with more than 10GB to compete with AMD which released cards with 16GB at a lower price.

7 hours ago, Quadman said:

Curious why you spent extra on the 5950x as 5900 has higher all core turbo speed, and as Jussi said the gpu can compensate for missing cores.

With HQPlayer you do not need all core turbo speed. I choose the 5950X to get the absolutely best binned CPU and should reach the highest single core turbo. I am also goin to use it for other purposes as well. It also uses less power pr. core.

If the 5950X works with HQPlayer there is a good chance that even the 5600X will works as well.

The potential with AMD 5000 series is that they run  cooler than Intel and have higher IPC and generally better performance but the million dollar question right now is will it be better at running HQPlayer which is a corner corner corner case scenario that the rest of the world does not care about but only us🙂 

1 hour ago, Gavin1977 said:

Apparently 3000 series is the one to go for, I'm still waiting for someone to review with HQPlayer.  You can probably get water cooling block for it, but no way are you going to find a passive version.  TDP is too high.

Agree, I use a small AIO Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 120 on a i9-9900KS and it very quiet.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I'll be interested to see the results once you've had time to play with the 3080 a bit. My only anecdotal evidence is using Desktop HQPlayer on my desktop here running a 5950x, it runs pretty well but I haven't tried any really hard upsampling yet. This machine also has a Radeon GPU so its a no go there.

Try DSD256EC, Sinc-L that combination is not possible on i9-9900KS.