IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, teera_ash said:

May be I have to tinkering with some parameters a bit as other members here could do dsd512?

No one is doing DSD512 with the EC modulators.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
4 hours ago, giordy60 said:

a question Jussi .....
does it make sense to design a modulator (EC) if to date no pc is able to reproduce it correctly? ....
8 ghz of cpu is obtained only in experimental form and with a cooling system impossible to use continuously .....
in my opinion today HQP has reached a very high level, adding non-usable options penalizes it .... my opinion.

You are only thinking of realtime, on-the-fly processing.  Keep in mind Jussi is developing software for all his HQPlayer variations, one of which is HQPlayer Pro (which our NativeDSD uses, btw).  In that version the EC modulators for DSD512 work wonderfully (offline and slowly).

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone doing (or thinking of doing) this with their server build?  In order of importance (and not at the same time, of course :) )

*  HQPlayer server for DSD256 2 channel upsampling using EC modulators

*  HQPlayer server for some level of DSD (likely 256) upsampling for multichannel music

*  Kodi serving multichannel audio (and some video) for 5.1.4 file-based movie or 5.1.4 Atmos-music

I am open to either using NAA or one-box (NAA seems the right choice here, but I've been on the sidelines for awhile :) ).  My Holo, exaSound and AVR (Atmos and movie only) are up to the task at the far end. 

Net/net, wondering if the multichannel and Kodi stuff adds any issues to simply building for DSD256 EC modulator work.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, luisma said:

I considered posting on the main HQPlayer thread but I believe this is more specific and appropriate.

Finally assembled my intended to be endpoint / NAA, it turned out I went with the new AMD CPU's, specifically with the entry level Ryzen 5600X

I will keep posting about this, I know DSD256 EC7 is not news but with such entry CPU I wasn't expecting this good performance in clock and temperatures, I can just think what the 5800X or 5950X could do.

Luisma,

What is your server config (when using this new 5600x as intended NAA)?  Will THAT setup do more filters with DSD256 and EC?

• 1 month later...

Jussi, or others in the know,

If I order a Mac Mini M1 for my 2 channel EC modulator needs at 256 is there a sweet spot for how much RAM (8 is default entry level at $699)?

Thx

Ted

On 12/16/2020 at 8:42 AM, Miska said:

I have 16 GB, but it is for development reasons. It should work with 8 too.

So Jussi (and those who have Mac Mini M1s as their server), is there anything that needs to be done to when my Mac Mini M1 arrives, say, to the M1's bios, normal defaults, etc to make it run better as a headless dedicated HQP music server? 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Pogballistics said:

Which one would you recommend in this case?

Whichever sounds best.  Your dac may have a sweetspot that "overrules" the logic of the rate/modulator combo.

• 1 month later...

Fo those of you building an HQPlayer machine/server that is Windows 10-based, are you using any Windows cleanup tools to reduce clutter and reduce non-audio processes?  I hear something about MinorityClean.  I use an older AO on my current server, but had help manually cleaning out other processes years ago.  I'm looking for something that works automagically, with a few manual edits maybe?  I worry that turning off services manually may have ramifications if these services are first needed by the 3rd party cleanup tools. 

Yes, I've run HQP on Linux and Windows, and prefer the latter.  I think it's mainly ASIO drivers, but who knows.  I've also done the Windows server 2012 vs 2016 thing and am kinda tired of that.  I will PM you about getting Windows 10 LTSC and using tools pre-install.  Thx

• 4 weeks later...

As some of you know, I am a longtime HQplayer user that took a couple years off while I moved the wife and I 1400 miles across the US to our new home in the Denver area (we love it).  As my very slow build of the lower level audio room continues I was able to start serious music listening once again, but this time via a one-person setup...my RAAL SR1a earspeakers (think Apogees hanging off your ears).  😎

My system is an older build: Roon runs on this Windows 7 desktop I'm typing on, and through a GS108 gigabit switch talks to my trusty i7-6700k Win 10 Audiophile Optimized headless HQPlayer machine; a beast in a Fractal Define R5 with Startech 4 port USB card (externally powered via Hynes lps), Optane OS, and a boatload of fans.  It sounds great through the RAALs, even though it is quite noisy (1 or 2 fans are on all the time)...I know very little about fan management so likely have one or two set wrong, but I don't care cuz I listen via the RAALs on my head.  However, this server will not cut it when, soon, I will need a quieter HQPlayer server for the main listening room on the lower level.

So...in the meantime I thought I would begin to dabble in improving this server, and using these experiences to start to visualize my new build for the main system.  So first thing I did was to focus on better power and went out and bought:

* HDPlex 400W DC/ATX converter

*HDplex 300W power supply

They arrived last week.  I am now realizing I am pretty ignorant when it comes to DIY.  For example, I wanted to use the two higher powered (19V/10A and 12V/10A) rails of the HDplex to power the DC-to-ATX converter (19V/10A) and the CPU (12V/10A) but fellow AS folks like the generous @StreamFidelitybelieves I won't have enough power, or it will get too hot and cause long term damage.  I have a Paul Hynes SR7EH single rail 12V-19V/6A that I could use for the CPU EPS, but worried the decent-but-not-huge amount of upsampling I do (PCM to 8fs using ext2 and LS15; DSD to 256 using ASDM7EC) will not allow me to do it with 6 amps.....and worried what will happen if I try.  Argh.  And I have no experience in figuring out how stressed my server is when upsampling.  I'm a fast learner, but an even faster forgetter.  🙂

I suppose I could also use the existing Seasonic 850W power supply to do one of these tasks (like CPU) but that seems like it might be a big step backward and a misuse of the new HDPlex stuff.  Additionally, I have no idea how to order (Ghent?) a cable capable of connecting either the HDPlex ps or the Hynes ps to the 8 pin cpu (orr should I just get a female dc to 8 pin cpu).  This sounds trivial but now that I'm f'ing around with power supplies I have become increasingly concerned.  Silly, right? 

These are all first world problems, I get it.  My server sounds great as is, and maybe I just ought to wait and, for the main room, build or buy a new HDplex 5-encased fanless server when the time comes, using more efficient modern cpus and motherboards, and use the HDPlex stuff on that.

Any opinions or ideas are welcome.  Thanks!

Bob,

Thanks for the reply.  I've done many NAAs in my HQP experiences, and will do another in the new room (at least one, the exaSound S88 includes an internal NAA so that will be my multichannel solution).  However, I have not found universal NAA success...some good, some not so good.  I also have a backup plan, as I've included a small cable run from my storage area behind the wall of my new audio room, so if my server is too noisy (acoustically speaking) I can put it back there...but would rather not.

Yes, I plan on taking advantage of the newer chips; until then I need to figure out this HDPlex power issue.  Thx...

14 minutes ago, bobflood said:

You probably need the HD Plex 500W. It has all the direct ATX connections. The 300W is not enough. And yes they do run hotter than you would expect. My 300 is warm and the load on it is less than 75W. Running your rig would drive it very hard and it will be hot. I would see if Larry could help with a return and swap.

So no dc-ATX converter, just the direct ATX 500W power supply?  Is this a better solution than the 300W/dc-ATX converter combo for ATX and another psu for the cpu?

Luisma (and others), thanks so much for the replies and opinions.  I wish I had better luck with NAAs lately.  My Holo Spring (May on the way) KTE just sounds richer and better colors with a Windows 10 ASIO driver (i.e direct from my Hynes-powered Startech card) than it does via my NAA (Lmitche's NUCi7 with either AL or HQP OS).  I might try putting Windows-something on that NAA and try again.  I had a Windows NAA several years ago when I had the Caps V1 stuff (Zuma as my server, and smaller atom NAA) and it sounded fine, but much later built the i7-6700k server (with lots of Larry's help cleaning it up) and went direct, and that sound is still my benchmark.  Go figure!.  I'd LOVE if I could get that sound via an NAA, as it would isolate and simplify.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Miska said:

Not Bob, but I output DSD256 from M1 to two DACs. One is Spring 1 behind UP Gateway NAA which is on my office loudspeaker system. And another one is RME ADI-2 Pro connected through USB on my office headphone system.

So the office headphone system is direct from M1?  Does this need a sort of Asio mac driver to get past Core Audio and therefore DSD256?  And what about PCM 16 or 32fs (I don't even know the standard Mac limitations there, if any)?

I'm getting a May this week (to demo, etc) so my original 8fs Holo Spring KTE may well be relegated to my home office setup (RAAL Requisite SR1As).  So if I use an M1 as the home office RAAL server I am limited to 352.8k/384k PCM (and thus DSD128 DoP?) or does the Spring allow DSD256 DoP even though it can't truly play 16fs?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Fleecyears said:

Can't decide between Intel or AMD :-(

Fleecyears, I didn't notice what dac you plan on using to get to 32fs but realize that the Holo May currently needs an Intel USB transceiver when you run the firmware that produces 32fs (i.e PCM1536). 

Edit: oops, saw it was a Denafrips, so nevermind.  :)

• 4 weeks later...