IGNORED

USB Extenders as galvanic isolators

I have not used those.  I see no reason they wouldn't work just fine. The data on USB gets thru, and they have power for the USB 5 volt lines at both ends.  

I have used these extender cables and they work with no problem on USB DACs or other devices.   I would think the Star Tech type product would be even better. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005LJKEXS/ref=psdc_949408031_t1_B00T9RTT2U

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

We've had success using some extenders with Ayre products, which uses XMOS.  While we haven't had the opportunity (ie. time) to test many brands of these extenders, we have used various models of Icron fairly extensively with no problems. 

I cannot comment how effectively it would actual be to providing the isolation your title suggests you're looking for, or how well an externally-powered USB device will sound using the wall wart power supply provided since our products are internally isolated with an separate internal power supply which minimizes these outside influences; but I can verify it will let you send a USB signal further!  I can also say that we could not hear a noticeable difference in the audio back when we were testing these several years ago, but YMMV depending on what you're connecting it to.

Best,

Ryan

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

@Ryan Berry welcome to CA.  You were very helpful when I needed some tech support with my QB-9 DSD a couple years ago.  Glad to have you here.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 7 months later...

Hi
I am not from the Audio Stuff but I have an similar Problem. Its noise over an Electric Cable. In my case I will receive Signals from an "Radio" Receiver who cover the hole Amateur Radio Band. The Problem with existing Technology is the are creating noise like an Raspberry Pi2 and that reduce the received Packed. ? I searched a lot online and I found an IT Distributor who offer Products from "icron". So I saw that here some people talk about there Products.

So my Question is can someone who own a icron USB -> Fiber Set Test something for me?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using this (Ircon 2324) for several months and I can say this is very good.   You can also tell that consumers are all buying the fiber units which had maintained their high prices.  You can look into eBay, you find many but very seldom would you see fiber USB extenders being offered and when they do, it come at a high price (US$800 to $1,200).

But very careful about USB extenders that does USB 3.0.  They can just do USB 3.0 and is NOT downward compatible with USB 2.0 standard which is what most DAC uses.  Avoid this at all costs, I am a victim and you will find those USB3.0 fiber USB extender going at very low prices.....you now know why.

Ayre need to incorporate a LC fiber Ethernet socket at the rear of the QX-5.

(Audio)

Been down that exact road (USB 3 fibre extender) big oops. That said the USB 2 versions are a game changer for me and I've been around the block with intona, ISO regen, Ethernet switches, allo bridge etc etc. Supprized that these fibre converters are not talked about more because they handedly beat out a lot of stuff that has come into my listening room. Right now there's a guy on eBay selling evertz ( rebadged icron) for reasonable price, he's got 45 of them and I know for a fact he takes offers at a much reduced rate from his asking price.  Really ought to be a thread about the icons (fibre versions) 

3 hours ago, Audio said:

You can look into eBay, you find many

Here in Europe I cand find any Icron and import from US cost to much import fee and Tax.

3 hours ago, Audio said:

QX-5.

What is that?

2 hours ago, Kirbyt said:

Right now there's a guy on eBay selling evertz

Link?

I contact Icron and the will test what I want to do. Its simple put some RF Receiver (who are nothing else than a Analogue to Digital Converter -> Digital to USB Chip)  near the Antenna and connect the other End to my Server.

Does anyone try to connect it to the ESXi?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 12:18 PM, michael123 said:

Hello

Question if something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Port-2-0-Over-Cat5-Extender-Cost-effective/dp/B00T9RTT2U/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

.. will work with the modern USB dacs like XMOS based or Amanero ?

Computer is Windows 10 with JRiver 23

Thanks in advance

Hi,

As Speed Racer correctly pointed out below, - you definitely need to buy the Gigabit Extenders with the isochronous chips. The Icron & Startech and also the PS Audio all do this. The lower models do not work, - so you need $420+ ones.

https://www.icronshop.com/icron-brand/icron-ranger-2304ge-lan

Yes, - they do galvanic isolation, they are two boxes a LEX and a REX. One of their biggest benefits is to allow one to remove the computer far from the audio rack.

Cheers,

2 minutes ago, Kirbyt said:

That's the price for Ethernet based extender not fibre, it's much more expensive if I reading all this right.

Hi,

Yeah... some people have used the non-fiber Icron/Startech isosynchronous versions in conjunction with FMCs, - but that's a PITA with all of the boxes and their power supplies. For my applications, my MAC Pro is already in the basement and I run fiber with FMCs from the basement to my dining room where my NAS is, - then fiber to the audio rack, and my digital file players already have isolation and signal integrity tech built in. All that being said, - I am very surprised, - especially with the PSAudio device, - that more people aren't getting their computers out of the audio rack.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2017 at 2:59 AM, Speed Racer said:

These (this specific model) appears to be what you want if you want isolation:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-330-Feet-Ethernet-Extender-USB2G4LEXT2/dp/B00HFGQESY

There is a massive thread over on US Audio Mart created by a guy named Rob where these are the critical components in his best chain.

Hello Steve post the link when you can.