IGNORED

What streaming player should I put on my RaspberryPi today?

On 11/15/2017 at 2:11 PM, Cebolla said:

The latest version of Volumio v2.0(?) I tried several months ago was buggy. The last decent Volumio version I tried was v1.55.

Moode Audio is a decent very well supported streamer for the RPi, so defintely worth a go:

http://moodeaudio.org/

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/23233-moode-audio-player-for-raspberry-pi/?do=getLastComment

I'm currently using the current headless version of openhome.org's free OpenHome Player for the RPi under Raspbian Jessie Lite. Unfortunately there's no compiled version available for the latestest Rasbian Stretch distro for the RPI. Also, it requires a bit of Linux knowledge to install, setup as a service process, output to the USB DAC & appropriately respond to it being connected/disconnected, etc.

However, it does take you closest to a Linn DS streamer native OpenHome streaming user experience (via the Linn Kazoo controller app), without actually having a Linn device!

http://openhome.org/pages/use/downloads/pi

Yes, I could not install Openhome player. Although I follow the steps, it just saves the wget documentation and when I do openhome-player command, it says command cannot be found. I did on Jessie but maybe there is a certain version of Jessie I should be doing. Can you help? This looks like the best solution because I like to have everything all in one. Other solutions look like I need to run a server on a different PC.

I have RPi3.

I wish there were no time limit to edit posts. So I would not have to keep posting new messages.

I have read somewhere that RPi2 is better than RPi3 for audio since it does not have Wifi and Bluetooth (I thought rpi2 had BT). Less noise, etc. I wonder if it is true. Anybody has compared the two for audio?

I have both boards and actually do not use/need the wifi or BT. I connect via Eth cable and do Tidal streaming only.

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

What version of Kazoo, plus on which platform & device, exactly?

I have no such problem with the latest Android & Windows desktop versions of Kazoo (on very basic Android tablet & Windows 10 laptop).

Yes, the one tweak I would recommend with the headless Pi version of the Openhome Player is to configure a Linux (systemd init system) service for it, so that it can autostart.

Use one of the available text file editors for the DietPi and create the OpenHome Player service's init script file in the /etc/systemd/system directory.

For example,  create the script file using the vim / vi text file editor:

vi /etc/systemd/system/openhome-player.service

Edit the script file, using the following text:

[Unit]
Description=OpenHome Player
Wants=network-online.target
After=network.target network-online.target

[Service]
User=root
ExecStart=/usr/bin/openhome-player

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Don't forget to save the script file.

Finally enable the service:

systemctl enable openhome-player.service

I tried Kazoo with iPhone iOS9. My iOS may be the problem though it was not crashing with Moode but I am not too worried since I like Lumin better anyway.

I have tried the similar Autostart script before but it did not work. I assume since I have tried before I cannot overwrite yours now with the older one. I can probably try to do a clean install and make the autostart work. 

Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

You should be able to edit the service's init script if you stop the service (jf it's still running) and then disable it first (so remove the symlink to the script file), eg:

systemctl stop openhome-player.service

systemctl disable openhome-player.service

Don't forget to re-enable the service after editing and saving its init script.

It was not running. I will try with these commands again. Thanks.

So, I tried the DietPi with my Rpi2. Everything went well but I cannot run the headless openhome player.

When I run the command openhome-player I get this message.

openhome-player: error while loading shared libraries: libavresample.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When I run this (systemctl enable openhome-player.service), it looks like the command goes thru the system but I cannot find my Rpi2 either in Lumin or Kazoo (iOS and Mac both). 

I also did restart the system after saving the autostart script in the system directory. Nothing.

I see the openhome-player (executable file) in usr/bin. So, it is there but it just won't start even though I execute it.

What am I doing wrong?

I wanted to use the rpi2 with dietpi because this is what I want to use instead rpi3. No wifi no bt. More simple. Dietpi is small also which I like. 

This is what I get when I do status:

root@DietPi:~# systemctl status openhome-player.service 
● openhome-player.service - OpenHome Player
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/openhome-player.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2018-04-23 15:28:18 BST; 25s ago
  Process: 2654 ExecStart=/usr/bin/openhome-player (code=exited, status=127)
 Main PID: 2654 (code=exited, status=127)

Apr 23 15:28:17 DietPi systemd[1]: Started OpenHo...

Apr 23 15:28:17 DietPi openhome-player[2654]: /us...

Apr 23 15:28:17 DietPi systemd[1]: openhome-playe...

Apr 23 15:28:18 DietPi systemd[1]: Unit openhome-...Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

root@DietPi:~# systemctl status -l openhome-player.service
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2018-04-23 15:28:18 BST; 3min 31s ago
  Process: 2654 ExecStart=/usr/bin/openhome-player (code=exited, status=127)
 Main PID: 2654 (code=exited, status=127)

Apr 23 15:28:17 DietPi systemd[1]: Started OpenHome Player.
Apr 23 15:28:17 DietPi openhome-player[2654]: /usr/bin/openhome-player: error while loading shared libraries: libavresample.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Apr 23 15:28:17 DietPi systemd[1]: openhome-player.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=127/n/a
Apr 23 15:28:18 DietPi systemd[1]: Unit openhome-player.service entered failed state.
root@DietPi:~#

Please disregard my previous post.

I have fixed the problem. All (almost) working fine on Rpi2.

I still cannot make it start automatically after a boot.

It is kinda weird actually. 

Your @Cebolla script showed errors when I did status command but when I used this one: http://nelsoj.uk/autostart-openhome-media-player-at-boot-time-on-raspberry-pi/ (no I did NOT use pi as user, I used root)

it shows active. However, I cannot see it on Lumin or Kazoo.

This is the status: Says active

root@DietPi:~# systemctl status  openhome-player.service
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2018-04-23 21:43:30 BST; 3min 45s ago
 Main PID: 409 (openhome-player)
   CGroup: /system.slice/openhome-player.service
           └─409 /usr/bin/openhome-player

Apr 23 21:43:33 DietPi openhome-player[409]: OhmSender::RunUnicast go
Apr 23 21:43:33 DietPi openhome-player[409]: iSupportedFormats = &formats=mp3,aac,ogg,hls
Apr 23 21:43:33 DietPi openhome-player[409]: ConfigAppBase::ConfigAppBase iResourcePrefix: Sof...yer
Apr 23 21:43:33 DietPi openhome-player[409]: NEW SOURCE: Playlist
Apr 23 21:43:33 DietPi openhome-player[409]: ZoneHandler::TimerZoneUriExpired 2
Apr 23 21:43:33 DietPi openhome-player[409]: ZoneHandler::TimerZoneUriExpired count=2, uri=ohu...561
Apr 23 21:43:33 DietPi openhome-player[409]: ZoneHandler::Run received presetinfo
Apr 23 21:43:34 DietPi openhome-player[409]: ZoneHandler::TimerZoneUriExpired 1
Apr 23 21:43:34 DietPi openhome-player[409]: ZoneHandler::TimerZoneUriExpired count=1, uri=ohu...561
Apr 23 21:43:34 DietPi openhome-player[409]: ZoneHandler::Run received presetinfo
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

When I stop the service and just do simple openhome-player command manually, Lumin sees it immediately.

This is my only issue now. It is useable but not easy for my wife if she wants to listen to music when I am not home (assuming the Rpi reboots/power cuts off, etc.)

I should have been more clear. I was doing the installation wrong. I was NOT going into the root directory thinking I was already in the root directory. After I did the installation to the root meaning after I did the installation correctly, the problem got fixed. 

You can be sure it works now :)  but the autostart does not work.

Please disregard my previous posts regarding installation. I just have the autostart issue now. Everything else is fixed, I assure you:)

Again now, my only issue is although the system boots to active (running) openhome-player.service, there seems to be no server/player seen in Lumin.

Actually, just to confirm this; after a boot, I did openhome-player command MANUALLY. It says 192.168.1.0 is already in use because the service is running. But again no where in Lumin I can see the DietPi. I have to stop the service and then start manually to be able to use the service with Lumin.

YES! Autostart works now!

Thank you!

Sorry for being pain in the neck:)

I really do not understand why more people do not use the OpenHome Player. It works great and it has everything in one piece of service/software.

I also do not understand why the developers stopped developing. There is no other service/software (AFAIK) that offers what Openhome offers.

You did not ask me but let me answer you since I have put a guide together from this thread and other site(s). This is what I did and it worked. Of course @Cebolla was the main person who made this happen.

@Cebolla will you pls double check? :)

Download this: http://dietpi.com/downloads/images/DietPi_RPi-ARMv6-Jessie.7z

and flash it to your card with Etcher.

You need to login as root via SSH  (run this command  cd / to be in the root), plus be in the root directory when you run the downloaded installer.

1. Once you've logged into the RPi as root via SSH, download the piheadless.sh OpenHome Player installer file (assuming you require the headless OpenHome Player) into the /tmp directory:
wget -P /tmp http://builds.openhome.org/releases/openhome/piheadless.sh

2. Give the installer file executable access permissions:

chmod +x /tmp/piheadless.sh

3. Make sure you're in the root directory:

cd /

4. Run the installer:

/tmp/piheadless.sh

5. Once installed, you can tidy up by manually deleting the installer file - though as it is in the /tmp directory, it should be removed automatically after next reboot:

rm /tmp/piheadless.sh

AUTOSTART SERVICE INSTRUCTIONS (I named it oh.service instead, you can name it whatever you want AFAIK)

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/oh.service (this will create the oh.service and open a page where you can copy paste below script)

[Unit]

Description=OpenHome Player

Wants=network-online.target

After=network.target network-online.target dietpi-boot.service

[Service]

User=root

ExecStart=-/usr/bin/openhome-player

Restart=on-failure

[Install]

WantedBy=multi-user.target

Alias=openhomeplayer.service

AFTER YOU COPY PASTE THE ABOVE SCRIPT,  CTRL-X AND Y (YES) TO SAVE.

THEN do below commands step-by-step (not too sure if below commands are necessary but I did it)

Initialize the service using

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

Start service with

sudo systemctl start oh.service

Enable the service to start after a  reboot

sudo systemctl enable oh.service

@Cebolla please recheck my message as I maybe wrong at some parts.

Good to know all is good @Cebolla

Now, I have another problem :)

So I wanted to try the wifi connection on the RPi3. Dietpi jessie doesn't recognize. So, I tried the fix you @Cebolla suggested in this thread but no go. So, I put my wifi adapter from RPi2 to RPi3 and it works fine.

However, the autostart doesn't work with wifi only. If I change to ethernet connection, it works fine. I wonder if I need to add wifi-network line or something like that to the autostart script?

@Cebolla, sorry my fault. At that link, there is also a mention about the Wifi fix. So, since I went to that link from your suggested link, I thought it was a wifi fix also. Sorry.

Not to mention, I thought I had the B+ version. I bought it on Feb 2017. Did the B+ exist back then? Geez, since it had been sitting in a closet, I did not realize it was not B+.

You did NOT suggest a fix.

14 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Cannot test at the moment, but don't you simply setup the RPi 3's WiFi in dietpi-config?

Yes that's how it is done. I set up correctly I believe because it works fine. However, the autostart won't work for some reason. Maybe I did not wait long enough or something (I doubt it). I will look into again. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Cannot test at the moment, but don't you simply setup the RPi 3's WiFi in dietpi-config?

BTW, waiting for the dietpi-boot.service to start, in the OpenHome Player service init script should still work, as it is supposed to guarantee a valid IP network connection via either LAN or WLAN.

DietPi admin wrote  a script because of the error message I posted there. It is fixed now!

Hi,

Thanks for the report.

I've applied a fix for this, please copy and paste all following commands to update the script:

CODE: SELECT ALL
wget https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/raw/fed5638d23e3fd49b982d9a456fd76d8a7e329be/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_hardware -O /DietPi/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_hardware

Now, when enabling WiFi, error should no longer appear.