IGNORED

What streaming player should I put on my RaspberryPi today?

DietPi is a general purpose distro, unlike Volumio which is just for its bundled streaming player and associated audio/streaming software.

So, in keeping with the OP's question, specifically what streaming player software are you recommending to run under DietPi? 

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

13 hours ago, davide256 said:

Just sent my microrendu in for the 1.4 upgrade, getting ready to dust off my Raspberry Pi2 & Digiplus coax to survive off

until that returns. Is Volumio still a good choice for player or has another option surfaced that's better and still user friendly?

The latest version of Volumio v2.0(?) I tried several months ago was buggy. The last decent Volumio version I tried was v1.55.

Moode Audio is a decent very well supported streamer for the RPi, so defintely worth a go:

http://moodeaudio.org/

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/23233-moode-audio-player-for-raspberry-pi/?do=getLastComment

I'm currently using the current headless version of openhome.org's free OpenHome Player for the RPi under Raspbian Jessie Lite. Unfortunately there's no compiled version available for the latestest Rasbian Stretch distro for the RPI. Also, it requires a bit of Linux knowledge to install, setup as a service process, output to the USB DAC & appropriately respond to it being connected/disconnected, etc.

However, it does take you closest to a Linn DS streamer native OpenHome streaming user experience (via the Linn Kazoo controller app), without actually having a Linn device!

http://openhome.org/pages/use/downloads/pi

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Apologies, I haven't used the pi in over a year. I've flashed the micro sd drive with diet pi but with Volumio that was it, no other sw required, just configuration.

How do I get Moode onto the Pi?

moode is simply flashed onto a sd card -- it contains the operating system and the player in one package.  note that moode does cost $10, but it's worth it as it's full-featured and well-developed.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
15 minutes ago, davide256 said:

something seems awry on the Moode site.

Not "awry" but a significant distribution change; Moode is now "free and open-source software" (FOSS) supported by donation.  As a result, users now build the solution on top of Raspian Linux.  Volumio being delivered as an IMG will be a lot easier/faster.  For something temporary, I'd go with the latter.

News: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-1029.html#post5226905

Yes, sorry Dave I should have checked first. I hadn't looked at Moode for a couple of months and didn't realise it had changed in its distribution. It used to be available as an SD image, just like Volumio.

-- Jo Cox

wow -- tim did change it.  a while back, the site asked for donations.  then, earlier this year, it went to paid -- you had to give $10 to be able to download moode.  now it seems back to donation . . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

At the moment I’m using a mini pc with the free open home player into an external DAC and using LUMIN app on iPad to control the setup, I have a Tidal hifi subscription and am getting good results using this setup.

I also have a raspberry pi with a hifi berry DAC and have tried to install open home player on the pi as it seems the easiest way to stream Tidal with a pi, but so far no luck.

is there an easy way to get open home player running on a pi.

7 hours ago, Alcap said:

At the moment I’m using a mini pc with the free open home player into an external DAC and using LUMIN app on iPad to control the setup, I have a Tidal hifi subscription and am getting good results using this setup.

I also have a raspberry pi with a hifi berry DAC and have tried to install open home player on the pi as it seems the easiest way to stream Tidal with a pi, but so far no luck.

is there an easy way to get open home player running on a pi.

Have you made sure you're running Raspbian Jessie on the RPi?

How exactly have you tried to install OpenHome Player on the RPi and was it the GUI version or the headless version?

-- Jo Cox

5 hours ago, snip3r said:

Which player to use if one needs to have support for spotify connect?

Besides this would using a separate DAC be better or a a PI/DAC combo is good enough for most situations?

When I used Spotify Connect with the pi I found Volumio and the volspotconnect2 plugin to be the best solution.

another option is jriver id

jriver once configured is easy to use and play to any dlna device...i haven't tried the ijriver id but contemplated it.

I use jriver and play directly to marantz avr ethernet, and dsd sounds pretty good this way.

https://jriver.com/Id/

idpi.jpg   IdPi $39.99   The Id software, including JRiver Media Center, Raspbian Linux, and Engen, on a 16GB microSD card . Ready to insert in a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. No hardware is included. Requires a case and power supply. Makes a good player for audio when used as a DLNA Renderer. No video. More information
1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

another option is jriver id

jriver once configured is easy to use and play to any dlna device...i haven't tried the ijriver id but contemplated it.

I use jriver and play directly to marantz avr ethernet, and dsd sounds pretty good this way.

https://jriver.com/Id/

idpi.jpg   IdPi $39.99   The Id software, including JRiver Media Center, Raspbian Linux, and Engen, on a 16GB microSD card . Ready to insert in a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. No hardware is included. Requires a case and power supply. Makes a good player for audio when used as a DLNA Renderer. No video. More information

Seems like a good solution but it’s openhome player I want to use on the pi so I can stream Tidal hifi and control it with lumin app on iPad.

12 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Did you see the list of software installed with the image I linked to???????????

Yes - so which one(s) from that list is:

On 11/14/2017 at 10:07 PM, davide256 said:

better and still user friendly

1, or 2, or 3..., or 1&2,  or 1&3, ....all?

-- Jo Cox

20 hours ago, Alcap said:

I have Jessie installed but I don’t think I have the necessary Linux knowledge to install the OpenHome player, which is a pity cause that’s the reason I bought the pi in the first placeO.o.

Tutorial anyone?

I'm not a Linux expert, but from what I remember you need to login as root via SSH, plus be in the root directory when you run the downloaded installer and it should just work.

1. Once you've logged into the RPi as root via SSH, download the piheadless.sh OpenHome Player installer file (assuming you require the headless OpenHome Player) into the /tmp directory:
wget -P /tmp http://builds.openhome.org/releases/openhome/piheadless.sh

2. Give the installer file executable access permissions:

chmod +x /tmp/piheadless.sh

3. Make sure you're in the root directory:

cd /

4. Run the installer:

/tmp/piheadless.sh

5. Once installed, you can tidy up by manually deleting the installer file - though as it is in the /tmp directory, it should be removed automatically after next reboot:

rm /tmp/piheadless.sh

-- Jo Cox