IGNORED

Solid State Hard Drives

DEANO2

9 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I don't know about the ratio, but some of the women that they do have; va-va-voom!

i just googled....

https://www.google.com/search?q=women+men+ratio+australia&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I know back in my navy days (if i can remember that far back ago), that australian women LOVED american men....most ports you had to pay, not australia, and they were HOT, in many ways....I have always been shy...not a problem there!  if you are into domination, i couldn't think of a better life....ymmv

38 minutes ago, rando said:

Last year the showcase computer deal on Amazon for Black Friday was a Crucial 750GB SSD for $100.  Worth keeping in mind.

Amazon Au. has opened it's factory, but isn't due to launch in Au. until a little later this month.

I just checked the Amazon Au. site and found Samsung SSDs, but it said that this item does not ship to Australia.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

49 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Amazon Au. has opened it's factory, but isn't due to launch in Au. until a little later this month.

I just checked the Amazon Au. site and found Samsung SSDs, but it said that this item does not ship to Australia.

although i predominately buy samsung, i really haven't had any issues with any brand....did they have any other brand ssd's that ship to australia?

12 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

although i predominately buy samsung, i really haven't had any issues with any brand....did they have any other brand ssd's that ship to australia?

I didn't bother checking further, as this will almost certainly apply to all SSDs from Amazon USA.

They are due to open their doors in Au. very shortly, certainly in time for the Xmas trade, as their factory is already staffed.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Let's suppose you just bought a fast iMc with a big 4TB Fusion drive - how would you attach an SSD to it to use the greater speed?  it has Thumperbolt/USB-C ports already.

And what would you do re the OS, or moving apps, data files to make use of the speed?

38 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Let's suppose you just bought a fast iMc with a big 4TB Fusion drive - how would you attach an SSD to it to use the greater speed?  it has Thumperbolt/USB-C ports already.

And what would you do re the OS, or moving apps, data files to make use of the speed?

Get a good NAS with lots of RAM to use as a cache, mine runs Ubuntu ?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

43 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

The Fusion drive in your iMac is essentially a combination HDD and SDD. I would assume that the OS is running from the SDD for maximum speed.

OWC sells SSD enclosures if you want to add as an external drive although I don't really see the advantage if you are just playing music as even the slowest HDD is plenty fast enough and a lot cheaper.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

11 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

no it would be to speed up some programs and searches, not for music

It's my understanding that the OS automatically figures out what programs to run from the SSD based on how often they are run so you might already be getting the benefits of having an SSD for your frequently used apps. 

If you're interested in adding SSD storage, head over to OWC and plug your computer into their upgrade configurator to see what you can do:

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/

I'd steer away from anything that requires you to open the iMac unless you've got a lot of confidence in your DIY skills. :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

For music playback purposes, there is no significant difference between SATA attached HD or SSD in my experience. However in home NAS use the lower heat and power needs of SSD help.. a NAS with lower drive power draw is more stable/ easier on UPS and a NAS with lower heat output from SSD drives doesn't have to have higher, noisier fan RPM's.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

11 hours ago, sandyk said:

Just starting up here. In any case, a few weeks back I was running out of storage, so I ended up buying  an internal 2TB SATA HDD over the counter for Au$95

Well, eventually the price of SSDs will come down in Oz as they have here in the People's Republic of Amerika!

George

Well I bought a 250gb Samsung ssd well I put it in the bay for my Toshiba laptop put the installation disc in but the drive won't show up. It shows as a bootable drive but is not showing thru file explorer or otherwise. Going to have to get a sub to sata connection. Unless anyone has any ideas I'm using Windows 10. 

55 minutes ago, DEANO2 said:

Here a 500 gb is around $220 I'll see if Amazon will send it here say for a Samsung. You must rememberthat Orange turd in the white house stopped free trade agreements.l will get back to you.

I tried Amazon .au where I found the price you mentioned , but they said that they would not ship to Australia.

Don't forget that with the current Exchange Rate we will be paying around 25% more anyway,

even when they start up in Au. later this month. 

22 minutes ago, DEANO2 said:

I could get it , by the time I receive it postage, exchange rates etc it costs about the same at Centercom. Anyway I'm having difficulty getting fired up and I'm pissed off, lol.

mwave has Free Shipping on Samsung SSDs at present

This one is Au$218

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III 6GB/s 3D V-NAND SSD MZ-75E500

5 hours ago, DEANO2 said:

Well I bought a 250gb Samsung ssd well I put it in the bay for my Toshiba laptop put the installation disc in but the drive won't show up. It shows as a bootable drive but is not showing thru file explorer or otherwise. Going to have to get a sub to sata connection. Unless anyone has any ideas I'm using Windows 10. 

This sounds like you have not initialized and formatted the disc.

Yes My apologies,  I should have clarified.  There are certain things we can't get from the US now the free trade agreements were torn up . Music from Hd Tracks, stuff from Amazon like things made in Asia. But not to worry won't be long wait before thing's are back to normal . 

Guys, no excuses. SSDs only. You can get them off eBay and AliExpress if you can't benefit from Amazon. If you're serious about this hobby the SSD price premium is a drop in the bucket.

Only exception is if you have huge storage requirements that would cost you too much, in which case go get a QNAP or something with an SFP link to optically isolate it from your listening environment.